SLP 2013 CALIFORNIA Admissions!!

Sung88,

I couldn't help but notice that you're from Ohio and currently living in S. Korea. I don't know how the cost of living is in SK, but Los Angeles is surely more expensive than Ohio (I have a handful of transplant friends who live in the LA proper area and they lament about it all the time). If you and your husband both plan on riding out grad school simultaneously, then I imagine there won't be a lot of income coming into the household in the short-term future. Unless you're both sitting on a ton of savings, bankrolled or receiving extensive scholarships (especially for SC), then I would sincerely suggest living away from the downtown/metropolitan LA area. Finding a modest apartment in the suburbs of the San Gabriel Valley/Pomona area would be wise since the cost of living would be considerably cheaper and your husband can take the metro-rail directly to USC (while you'd be a quick 20 minute drive to CSUF if you choose the Pomona area). Sure, it's not glitzy with the hustle and bustle of the city, but trust me when I say that you don't want to live in the surrounding area of USC. Just google crime reports around that area and you'll see why (mind you, I'm a die-hard Trojan fan until the day I die).

Hang tough, it'll only be a few years until you have your CCCs and he passes the bar. After that, you can afford your upper middle-class downtown apartment ;)

And yes, I agree with what others have said; choosing a school that has an emphasis on your desired focus is more important than choosing one that is conveniently located.

Good luck with your decision and congrats!

Edited by jeffmooo

CSU Northridge is sending out acceptance letters via emails.

Let me thank all of you for sharing your stories.  I laughed, cheered, and cried.  This forum (though I was lurking most of the time) helped me to keep my sanity.

For those who will be attending CSUN, I'll see you there!

Hey SLPDad! Congrats on getting into CSUN! I may be accepting CSUN's offer as well. Do you have any info on the program? Maybe how easy it is to get into classes, class size, etc.? Thanks! 

Sung88,

I couldn't help but notice that you're from Ohio and currently living in S. Korea. I don't know how the cost of living is in SK, but Los Angeles is surely more expensive than Ohio (I have a handful of transplant friends who live in the LA proper area and they lament about it all the time). If you and your husband both plan on riding out grad school simultaneously, then I imagine there won't be a lot of income coming into the household in the short-term future. Unless you're both sitting on a ton of savings, bankrolled or receiving extensive scholarships (especially for SC), then I would sincerely suggest living away from the downtown/metropolitan LA area. Finding a modest apartment in the suburbs of the San Gabriel Valley/Pomona area would be wise since the cost of living would be considerably cheaper and your husband can take the metro-rail directly to USC (while you'd be a quick 20 minute drive to CSUF if you choose the Pomona area). Sure, it's not glitzy with the hustle and bustle of the city, but trust me when I say that you don't want to live in the surrounding area of USC. Just google crime reports around that area and you'll see why (mind you, I'm a die-hard Trojan fan until the day I die).

Hang tough, it'll only be a few years until you have your CCCs and he passes the bar. After that, you can afford your upper middle-class downtown apartment ;)

And yes, I agree with what others have said; choosing a school that has an emphasis on your desired focus is more important than choosing one that is conveniently located.

Good luck with your decision and congrats!

Thanks so much for the living advice!!

As we role down to the final secession, or actually swing back to Cal State LA due mostly to the masters thesis option and the Korean language program connections. Dr. Klein (SLP Dept) has been incredible about emailing me bak almost instantly and connecting me to the Korwan dept so I could continue language course while in grad school!

Right nowx were actually trying to go for USC's married housing as its a GREAT deal and close for my husband and about a 25 min drive for me, but if that doesn't work out, what are some other sugguested living areas for USC student and a Cal State student?

Thanks so much everyone!!!

Thanks so much for the living advice!! As we role down to the final secession, or actually swing back to Cal State LA due mostly to the masters thesis option and the Korean language program connections. Dr. Klein (SLP Dept) has been incredible about emailing me bak almost instantly and connecting me to the Korwan dept so I could continue language course while in grad school! Right nowx were actually trying to go for USC's married housing as its a GREAT deal and close for my husband and about a 25 min drive for me, but if that doesn't work out, what are some other sugguested living areas for USC student and a Cal State student? Thanks so much everyone!!!
The Alhambra/Monterey Park area can offer up affordable and decent apartments if you look around. It's 10 min away from CSULA and 20-25min away from USC! Lots of excellent Asian food in the area too, if that's your gustatory preference (I know it's mine!). The key thing about that area (or the San Gabriel Valley area in general) is that you both avoid using the 5 freeway for your respective commutes. If you live in the south LA area, you'll be dealing with that disastrous freeway; seriously, it's never devoid of traffic and horrific drivers.

Declined offer from SDSU, hope that helps someone out!

I'm on the waitlist for SDSU so thanks!! I'm currently deciding between Florida State & San Francisco State... I don't know what to do!!! If I get off the waitlist at SDSU I think my head will explode.

I was wondering about you and SF! Congratulations!! 
I decided purely off of $$$. Which one will cost you the least after considering tuition, moving, and living expenses in the area  ;)

Has anyone gotten an email from CSUEB? it seems like they're going out now.

No! I just checked my husband's spam mail, just in case he missed it, and there's neither an acceptance nor a rejection. Both of us have been planning for a rejection so it would be nice if they got it over with so we could properly look ahead to next year.

I was wondering about you and SF! Congratulations!! 

I decided purely off of $$$. Which one will cost you the least after considering tuition, moving, and living expenses in the area  ;)

Thanks!! Yeah, i'm leaning more towards FSU because I'll save so much money, but SF is my dream so I'm really having a hard time letting it go!

Thanks!! Yeah, i'm leaning more towards FSU because I'll save so much money, but SF is my dream so I'm really having a hard time letting it go!

Girl, I feel you there!  Congrats on SFSU - pretty awesome to get in there as an out-of-stater!  Keep in mind how expensive SF living costs are...... I lived there for the past 3 years and hated to leave, but I was amazed at how much money I really was spending on just living there now that I am living off way less in a more affordable city.  However, it's one of the most beautiful cities in the country (in my opinion, THE most beautiful), so it may be worth it!?  Could you go to FSU and then do your CFY in SF?  I have heard it's not that hard to get a CFY in another city/state.  But I am also currently deciding whether I should go the cheapest route or spend a little more..... Definitely a hard choice!

Something that helped me decide what amount of loans I can handle was to look at this calculater thing:

http://www.finaid.org/calculators/loanpayments.phtml

It lets you see what kind of monthly payment you can expect.  I know there are alternative repayment plans, like income-based and whatnot, but I want to pay my loans off in 10 years if at all possible, so this was pretty helpful.

Good luck making your decision, I know it isn't easy!!!!!

I withdrew my application from CSUEB today. I'll be finishing my leveling coursework prior to the start of the fall semester, but they were only willing to admit me into their undergraduate program because I had not completed 27 units at the time I applied. Bummer!

I withdrew my application from CSUEB today. I'll be finishing my leveling coursework prior to the start of the fall semester, but they were only willing to admit me into their undergraduate program because I had not completed 27 units at the time I applied. Bummer!

That is a bummer! I'm sorry to hear that : /

Did you receive an email from them? I see some ppl have received emails and I haven't gotten anything yet!

Just want to know for CSUEB so I can make my final decision!

Wow, I don't recall seeing anything to that effect on their FAQ. What a bummer. :( You'd think they'd do what most other programs do and take to-be-completed units into consideration.

That is a bummer! I'm sorry to hear that : /

Did you receive an email from them? I see some ppl have received emails and I haven't gotten anything yet!

Just want to know for CSUEB so I can make my final decision!

I did receive an e-mail from them. Basically, it said that the committee was making final decisions, and they wanted to ensure my continued interest because they did not want to make admission offers only to have them declined by students who had already started leveling programs.

Obviously, if I'd only completed 3 or 4 classes, I might have been willing to backtrack a little bit, but we're talking about 8 courses that I would have taken for nothing (they would have only transferred two of my CSD courses). That is not a smart move to make for me financially, nor for my sanity! I understand how it works though, it's a competitive process and they had plenty of applicants who could be more fully evaluated based on more post-bacc work - I was just really hoping that my current graduate coursework would be enough to show them that I was capable of successfully completing a graduate program. Oh well.

The deadline to respond to the e-mail was this Friday, so perhaps they'll be sending all final decisions by next week? Good luck, everybody!

I did receive an e-mail from them. Basically, it said that the committee was making final decisions, and they wanted to ensure my continued interest because they did not want to make admission offers only to have them declined by students who had already started leveling programs.

Obviously, if I'd only completed 3 or 4 classes, I might have been willing to backtrack a little bit, but we're talking about 8 courses that I would have taken for nothing (they would have only transferred two of my CSD courses). That is not a smart move to make for me financially, nor for my sanity! I understand how it works though, it's a competitive process and they had plenty of applicants who could be more fully evaluated based on more post-bacc work - I was just really hoping that my current graduate coursework would be enough to show them that I was capable of successfully completing a graduate program. Oh well.

The deadline to respond to the e-mail was this Friday, so perhaps they'll be sending all final decisions by next week? Good luck, everybody!

Interesting... I wonder if the smattering of acceptances on the results board were all of a similar theme? Ah well. I don't recall if you've heard anything from Nova, but good luck if not!

My husband was waitlisted at CSUEB! I never thought I'd be so excited for a waitlist - at least there's a tiny chance he'll get in, now! 

Well, I hope he gets it! Did they tell you his position?

Girl, I feel you there!  Congrats on SFSU - pretty awesome to get in there as an out-of-stater!  Keep in mind how expensive SF living costs are...... I lived there for the past 3 years and hated to leave, but I was amazed at how much money I really was spending on just living there now that I am living off way less in a more affordable city.  However, it's one of the most beautiful cities in the country (in my opinion, THE most beautiful), so it may be worth it!?  Could you go to FSU and then do your CFY in SF?  I have heard it's not that hard to get a CFY in another city/state.  But I am also currently deciding whether I should go the cheapest route or spend a little more..... Definitely a hard choice!

Something that helped me decide what amount of loans I can handle was to look at this calculater thing:

http://www.finaid.org/calculators/loanpayments.phtml

It lets you see what kind of monthly payment you can expect.  I know there are alternative repayment plans, like income-based and whatnot, but I want to pay my loans off in 10 years if at all possible, so this was pretty helpful.

Good luck making your decision, I know it isn't easy!!!!!

I decided to go to FSU and save a ton of money lol. I spoke with a girl in the program at SFSU and she gave me some stellar advice. It really helped me make up my mind. My heart will always be in San Fran though! ;)

Well, I hope he gets it! Did they tell you his position?

Thanks! Nope - the email even specifically said that they do not give out wait list position information to applicants. :/ Looks like it's a pretty large wait list so it's hard to say how it'll all shake out.

Can anybody tell me anything about CSULA's, CSUN's, and SDSU's programs?  I semi-blindly applied, got accepted into all three of them, and now im stuck because I don't know which one to pick and due to complicated situations I wasn't able to research properly beforehand sadly...

Edited by g0o0gle3y3s