SLP 2013 CALIFORNIA Admissions!!

Yes, I also received a voicemail message from Professor Ignatius Nip from SDSU. I'm very excited about this opportunity! Was wondering if anyone had thoughts on:

-hearing back from other Cal State schools

-why is this process so competitive?

-leaving a significant other (10 year relationship) to attend a 3 year long program on the other side of the state (i know, who wouldn't want to live in SD with great weather and surfing??)

Oh, this is so awesome to hear! I just have a few questions, if you don't mind me asking :)

- Do you feel that there are any negatives about the program/faculty/facilities that you've experienced?

- I am aware that California schools are a bit competitive. Do you feel that it is quite difficult to be accepted there? 

- I read online that The University of the Pacific was just recently accredited. Is it a fairly new program?

- Is there anything specific about the program that you really like?

- Do you have any advice for someone looking to go there? About the faculty, atmosphere, area, etc.?

Sorry it has taken me awhile to get back to you! I was busy studying for a fluency exam!!

I guess the speed of the program could be a negative factor depending on how well you deal with stress and pressure. Since the program is accelerated A LOT is expected out of you. 

We have one professor who is incredibly and unnecessarily hard, but every time I have finished taking a course of his I walk away with a sigh of relief and reflect on how much I've actually learned. During his courses, it sure doesn't feel very good though!!

If anything, I think our facilities and faculty is one of our strengths.  The facilities are very nice and well kept. Everything we use in our clinics is updated on a frequent basis and the children's clinic (off-campus clinic) is 5 minutes away from the main campus.

In terms of being a CA school, it is pretty competitive. This year we had 330+ applicants and only 15 spots for the 15-month program and 15 spots the for the 24-month program.

University of the Pacific was recently reaccredited-Our program has been here for at least 60 years.

Being a private school, I really like that you get what you pay for. The professors are always available by home phone, office hours etc and make it a point to go out of their way for YOU. They realize you are paying a lot of $$$ and want to give you the best education out there. The school is challenging and demanding, but realistic. I like that our clinics are clean, up-to-date and we have tons of resources that we can use. If you want to get into research there are many faculty members who are willing to help you get started and mentor/supervise you as well. The professors here are incredibly intelligent and will push you, however they are also kind and humble. 

My advice to you in terms of attending University of the Pacific is this: If you go here you will not regret the education and experiences you will gain from this graduate school. They will give you the practical, theoretical, and clinical tools to use out there in the real world. There is something very special about this school. The city of Stockton, CA is far from the nicest or the safest, so that would be my main concern for someone looking to move here. However houses or dorms located near the school and nice neighborhoods are pretty safe! Since there is not much to do out here studying/distractions shouldn't be a huge issue for anyone concerned about noise etc! lol

Hope this helped!

Yes, I also received a voicemail message from Professor Ignatius Nip from SDSU. I'm very excited about this opportunity! Was wondering if anyone had thoughts on:

-hearing back from other Cal State schools

-why is this process so competitive?

-leaving a significant other (10 year relationship) to attend a 3 year long program on the other side of the state (i know, who wouldn't want to live in SD with great weather and surfing??)

Wow, i was worried about leaving a 4 year relationship! I have my writing sample for SFSU tomorrow and the google + interview on Wednesday  :o  Kinda freaked out. My mind is telling me to go to CA if i get the opportunity... my bank account is telling me to stay in-state!!!

Wow, i was worried about leaving a 4 year relationship! I have my writing sample for SFSU tomorrow and the google + interview on Wednesday  :o  Kinda freaked out. My mind is telling me to go to CA if i get the opportunity... my bank account is telling me to stay in-state!!!

I have my interview today! eek!  Good luck with your writing sample!

Relationships make this process so much more difficult.  I've been accepted where I live, but will have to consider SFSU and wait-list schools if I'm accepted to any of them. Would you gals be attempting the long distance thing if you left?

Honestly, a relationship would not hold me back from traveling across the globe for graduate school. I love my partner, but that does not mean I have to be near him all the time. Besides, graduate studies will have you busy busy busy, so even if you are local to your partners, you won't have as much free time to invest into the relationship. With modern technology and social media (Facebook, Skype, Face-Time..), it won't even feel like you're that far apart. I love my partner, but I will still put my future first. That future = a better future not just for me, but for the both of us. If you feel your relationship isn't strong enough to survive 2 to 3 years of long distance while you sacrifice your time for graduate studies, then you shouldn't even consider that relationship strong enough of a deciding factor to make or break your choices of grad school. 

Plus, distance makes the heart grow fonder  :wub:

I'm much fonder of a partner that can wait for me, than a partner who holds me back selfishly.

I have my interview today! eek!  Good luck with your writing sample!

Relationships make this process so much more difficult.  I've been accepted where I live, but will have to consider SFSU and wait-list schools if I'm accepted to any of them. Would you gals be attempting the long distance thing if you left?

Thanks! I hope your interview went well! Mine is tomorrow. I just got home from doing the writing sample. I honestly have no idea how well I did, I hate writing under pressure! I've been accepted in-state, but not where I live (...yet, still waiting on FAU). My bf and I really got into it last night, crying and all. I'm so over this!! We spent our whole first year long distance so I know we can do it, I just don't want to. Whatever, whats meant to be will be!  B)

Honestly, a relationship would not hold me back from traveling across the globe for graduate school. I love my partner, but that does not mean I have to be near him all the time. Besides, graduate studies will have you busy busy busy, so even if you are local to your partners, you won't have as much free time to invest into the relationship. With modern technology and social media (Facebook, Skype, Face-Time..), it won't even feel like you're that far apart. I love my partner, but I will still put my future first. That future = a better future not just for me, but for the both of us. If you feel your relationship isn't strong enough to survive 2 to 3 years of long distance while you sacrifice your time for graduate studies, then you shouldn't even consider that relationship strong enough of a deciding factor to make or break your choices of grad school. 

Plus, distance makes the heart grow fonder  :wub:

I'm much fonder of a partner that can wait for me, than a partner who holds me back selfishly.

WORD.

Given the overall benefits of investing in a career we are passionate about will make us better partners and people. I'm currently a SDC teacher (moderate/severe), and it's not that I don't enjoy helping my students. I feel that the job description is unsustainable - behavior management, limited resources for teachers, school politics, providing for the mental, physical, social/emotional, behavioral AND academic well-being of all students. I initially went into SPED teaching to become a speech therapist (in schools). This has all been great experience and gained some wonderful insight, however, I completely understand why teachers (maybe GE too) have such high burnout rates. Besides, I think that if I give up the opportunity to go to SDSU or UW Postbac, I will become a miserable, overweight, and resentful alcoholic. Thanks, SpeechBanana!

:) No problem, Sunjiro! I'm practicing my sternness for working with kiddos.

So… has anyone heard ANYTHING from Northridge? I know a few of you mentioned CSUF, but no one posted anything about the results on the admissions results page.

So… has anyone heard ANYTHING from Northridge? I know a few of you mentioned CSUF, but no one posted anything about the results on the admissions results page.

Ahh no. Last year, CSUN sent out admissions decisions well after the April 15th deadline and gave their applicants 2 days to decide... I hope it's not like that this year.

I called CSUN's department recently, and was told that decisions are supposed to be sent out towards the end of this week.  Hope that's true!

CSU Northridge is sending out acceptance letters via emails.

Let me thank all of you for sharing your stories.  I laughed, cheered, and cried.  This forum (though I was lurking most of the time) helped me to keep my sanity.

For those who will be attending CSUN, I'll see you there!

Hi All!

I am an Ohio native who is most likely moving to California this fall for graduate school (husband got a great offer from USC law school).

Wanted to know which was the "better" school (if such thing existed).

Got into Cal-State Fullerton and Cal-State LA, as well as others that we turned down because the law school option didn't work out (timing two grad schools=NO FUN).

Which has a better program? I did a lot of research as an undergraduate and am mostly interesting in continuing that, but want a strong clinical program as well.

Interested in Bilingual education as my husband is Korean and we both speak Korean/English (I am not Korean, but have been living here for almost two years now).

Thoughts?

Thanks all!

Edited by Sung88

I would recommend CSULA just for the location if you want to live together. Traffic in LA is brutal and you guys will both be very busy. The drive from USC to Fullerton can easily be 1-1.5 hours in rush hour.

Hi All!

I am an Ohio native who is most likely moving to California this fall for graduate school (husband got a great offer from USC law school).

Wanted to know which was the "better" school (if such thing existed).

Got into Cal-State Fullerton and Cal-State LA, as well as others that we turned down because the law school option didn't work out (timing two grad schools=NO FUN).

Which has a better program? I did a lot of research as an undergraduate and am mostly interesting in continuing that, but want a strong clinical program as well.

Interested in Bilingual education as my husband is Korean and we both speak Korean/English (I am not Korean, but have been living here for almost two years now).

Thoughts?

Thanks all!

Fullerton has an emphasis on the bilingual track and there are two professors in the department that are Korean actually.

Any word on Cal State East Bay?? The 15th of April is right around the corner!!

No word from East Bay for me, but I'm Conditionally Classified I, and the email said those decisions would be sent out mid to late April :unsure:

Fullerton has an emphasis on the bilingual track and there are two professors in the department that are Korean actually.

Thanks all!

I actually met one of the staff while she was in sabbatical in Korea (Dr.Seung), who was awesome! Just worried about the long commute for my husband/I. Is it worth going o fullerton over LA or will I get good opportunities at both? Thanks all!!

Edited by Sung88

How long is your husband's program? The SLP programs are usually 2 years. If it were me, I'd choose the best program for FIT, and not worry about other extraneous details. Driving is an annoyance, yes, but is it so annoying that you'll give up something you really want? Or? Which program will serve you the best purpose? Which will make you happier? Yes, it's cheesy, but write out a list of pros and cons, and prioritize those items. 

So far, from what it sounds like, CSUF will be a better fit for you. I myself will be doing a very long commute daily for grad school because the school I chose is a better fit for me  B) 

So I google mapped (hah, I turned that into a verb! snort) the driving directions from USC to CSUF for you, and it looks like it's an estimated 40 minute drive. As a Southern Californian, I can tell you that's probably not accurate, especially during rush hour. Can you move to a location somewhere halfway as a compromise, and you and your hubby make semi-equidistant drives? By using the 5 freeway, Downey seems to be the center of the two locations. Downey's property/rental rates aren't that high, but their school districts and "niceness" isn't the best, so it wouldn't be a good choice if you have children. However, it would make it ~25 to 30 minutes (again, probably deflated #) for the both of you to travel. 

Then again, if you choose LA, you can find an apartment that will just be a few minutes drive for the both of you  ;) 

Good luck making your decision, Sung. I'll be driving about an hour and a half each way  :lol: 

How long is your husband's program? The SLP programs are usually 2 years. If it were me, I'd choose the best program for FIT, and not worry about other extraneous details. Driving is an annoyance, yes, but is it so annoying that you'll give up something you really want? Or? Which program will serve you the best purpose? Which will make you happier? Yes, it's cheesy, but write out a list of pros and cons, and prioritize those items.

So far, from what it sounds like, CSUF will be a better fit for you. I myself will be doing a very long commute daily for grad school because the school I chose is a better fit for me B)

So I google mapped (hah, I turned that into a verb! snort) the driving directions from USC to CSUF for you, and it looks like it's an estimated 40 minute drive. As a Southern Californian, I can tell you that's probably not accurate, especially during rush hour. Can you move to a location somewhere halfway as a compromise, and you and your hubby make semi-equidistant drives? By using the 5 freeway, Downey seems to be the center of the two locations. Downey's property/rental rates aren't that high, but their school districts and "niceness" isn't the best, so it wouldn't be a good choice if you have children. However, it would make it ~25 to 30 minutes (again, probably deflated #) for the both of you to travel.

Then again, if you choose LA, you can find an apartment that will just be a few minutes drive for the both of you ;)

Good luck making your decision, Sung. I'll be driving about an hour and a half each way :lol:

Thanks Speech! I appreciated the insight, especially since in Ohio 40 mins can mean 20 mins as we DO NOT have that kind of traffic and we love to speed :)

Oh and my husband is going to law school, so he'll be in it for 3 years :/. Considering living closer to his school and me commuting more as ill have less stress than him.

Edited by Sung88