Fall 2014 applicants??

I've got a list of schools and POIs going, and I've been trying to gauge how much work to put in to retaking the GRE. There's not really a question about retaking it, so much as how much of my time should I devote to studying for it. I'm just thankful there's no linguistics subject test, because I pretty much bombed the literature one last year!

That's what I am struggling with too. I know the GREs are probably one of the least important factors of the application, but I still want to do well. My problem is that I know (esp for the subject test) that I am going to need to put a considerable amount of effort into studyings. My interests, unfortuneately, are not something that shows up too much on the damned thing. I haven't taken any British lit class in four years, DAMN THE CANON! My anxiety and horrible test taking skills tend to work against me in the worst ways with these tests.

I feel like I am going to have to sit down and make a detailed schedule of how I am going to balance studying for the tests, working on my writing sample, and working on my statement. Mind you, I need to do all of this around my teaching schedule. Oy with the poodles already.

Location is a pretty big concern for me as well. I've lived in Indiana my entire life (minus 1 year in Illinois) and it's really not for me at all. My fiancee isn't a fan of the state either. For that matter, neither of us is particularly attached to the midwest. Ideally, we'll end up on or near one of the coasts, but I'm still planning to apply to some of the schools in between those areas and maybe one or two in the South. I have a love/hate relationship with the South though so we'll see how that goes. We recently visited California for spring break and pretty much fell in love with San Diego, and I think we'd both be happy (and poor lol) there :P

I've got a list of schools and POIs going, and I've been trying to gauge how much work to put in to retaking the GRE. There's not really a question about retaking it, so much as how much of my time should I devote to studying for it. I'm just thankful there's no linguistics subject test, because I pretty much bombed the literature one last year!

Incidentally, my Master's program didn't actually require the GRE so I'm planning to take it for the first time in June and most likely once more after that. I've acquired all these study materials, but I haven't quite figured out how to work it all into my schedule just yet. I know I'll have a lot more free time after the semester ends in May, but I definitely want to get started sooner. I'll probably just have to actually put it in my calendar with reminders and such.

Although, if I recall correctly, I did better on my SAT when I didn't prepare for it than when I did O____O

Edited by reluctantmidwesterner

On 3/15/2013 at 12:44 PM, reluctantmidwesterner said:

Location is a pretty big concern for me as well. I've lived in Indiana my entire life (minus 1 year in Illinois) and it's really not for me at all. My fiancee isn't a fan of the state either. For that matter, neither of us is particularly attached to the midwest. Ideally, we'll end up on or near one of the coasts, but I'm still planning to apply to some of the schools in between those areas and maybe one or two in the South. I have a love/hate relationship with the South though so we'll see how that goes. We recently visited California for spring break and pretty much fell in love with San Diego, and I think we'd both be happy (and poor lol) there :P

California is the only location on my list that I would be really stoked about. WUSTL is my favorite program so far, but I would love to live in LA. My girlfriend is not too pleased with the list that I have drawn up--especially the Southern states. I do want to make sure though that we, as a gay couple, will be able to move to a place that is LGBT-friendly (and safe). That's the only thing that is making me a little bit skeptical about a couple of my choices...

On 3/15/2013 at 1:22 PM, MissHavishslam said:

California is the only location on my list that I would be really stoked about. WUSTL is my favorite program so far, but I would love to live in LA. My girlfriend is not too pleased with the list that I have drawn up--especially the Southern states. I do want to make sure though that we, as a gay couple, will be able to move to a place that is LGBT-friendly (and safe). That's the only thing that is making me a little bit skeptical about a couple of my choices...

This thread may help you out quite a bit in that regard, MissH:

On 3/15/2013 at 1:22 PM, MissHavishslam said:

As far as the southern schools go, the only one that gives me pause from the list in your sig is Mississippi. North Carolina isn't perfect, but it leans more left than a lot of other southern states and Nashville seems to be fairly chill as well. I have a good (gay) friend who lives there and loves it and he hasn't had any problems as far as I know. I don't know about Mississippi though. Maybe they'll be surprisingly awesome. I have another set of gay friends who went to the University of Georgia and said it was the most welcoming place they've ever been which they didn't expect given what one might stereotypically think about Georgia (minus Atlanta). My fiancee is pretty adament about us not going to a southern school though. He would fit in with rural life pretty well (he's a farming/hunting sort of dude), but he's not protected by any sort of laws in most southern states. And I don't want to make him move to a place that's going to be harder on him than Indiana already is.

And ya know, I never used to think I'd really want to live in California. Like I knew it'd be a cool place, but I always kinda figured that I'd somehow end up either stuck in the midwest or on the east coast somewhere. After visiting California though, I gotta say that I really do want to be there, moreso than I've ever wanted to be in any other state.

I would just echo some of what was said above and point out that broad conceptions of region are often unhelpful for understanding the culture of a city, particularly a college town. People know, for example, not to judge Austin by their perception of Texas. There's lots of progressive enclaves in more conservative places. I do think that the emphasis on a lack of anti-discrimination and hate crime laws is very sound, as is looking at statistics on bias crimes. Although, of course, you can easily encounter bigotry in Los Angeles or New York or anywhere else.

As far as the southern schools go, the only one that gives me pause from the list in your sig is Mississippi. 

I would just echo some of what was said above and point out that broad conceptions of region are often unhelpful for understanding the culture of a city, particularly a college town. People know, for example, not to judge Austin by their perception of Texas. There's lots of progressive enclaves in more conservative places. I do think that the emphasis on a lack of anti-discrimination and hate crime laws is very sound, as is looking at statistics on bias crimes. Although, of course, you can easily encounter bigotry in Los Angeles or New York or anywhere else.

Mississippi is the only one that I am a little bit worried about. But you're right, it could be totally awesome. I grew up in Texas and even though I didn't come out until college I had many gay friends who (to my knowledge) never had any issues. I also have not had any when I go back to visit. I know that no place is 100% free of bigotry but it would be nice to not move to a place that's known for it. It's not something that will keep me from applying as I will visit the schools before making any decisions (if I am lucky enough to be accepted) and then factor in this issue.

^That reminds me of something I wanted to ask. What's everybody interested in studying, researching, writing about, etc.? Perhaps we can generate some suggestions about possible programs that might suit different people's interests or something :D.

My interests are in my sig but more specifically, I am really interested in class structures and ecological catastrophes in AfAm literature. I'm working on my writing sample right now, an expansion of an MA seminar paper, that looks at the significance of the Okeechobee hurricane (1928) in Hurston's work. 

reluctantmidwesterner--have you thought about Pitt at all? I'm not quite sure about the route you take with young adult lit but they have a few people there (Troy Boone and Marah Gurber) who work with children's theater and children as the audience--although it seems like their focus is Victorian children's lit, so I don't know if that is too far from your focus. I didn't do my MA there but my grad advisor did his PhD there. 

Has anyone started working on the GRE? I'd like to know how many words I should learn for the test, and how much time could it take??? My last GRE text was in early 2011, I think right before they modified the test. It should be easier to test vocab within context, right? 

Has anyone started working on the GRE? I'd like to know how many words I should learn for the test, and how much time could it take??? My last GRE text was in early 2011, I think right before they modified the test. It should be easier to test vocab within context, right? 

I took the old one and the revised. The revised verbal is MUCH easier but you should still learn quite a bit of vocab. Kaplan has good set of 500 words. I'm retaking it again this summer because I didn't get as high a score as I would like but my score did improve 20% from the old test. They also got rid of the "the better you do the harder the questions get" tactic which helped a lot.

I took the old one and the revised. The revised verbal is MUCH easier but you should still learn quite a bit of vocab. Kaplan has good set of 500 words. I'm retaking it again this summer because I didn't get as high a score as I would like but my score did improve 20% from the old test. They also got rid of the "the better you do the harder the questions get" tactic which helped a lot.

I took the old test (but did quite well on the verbal) so grain of salt: I found Princeton Review's list to be more productive and expansive. I also wrote all of my cards by hand and I would, while reading or taking practice tests, note any words that I wasn't confident I would be able to define on the spot (there is a difference between understanding a word in context and being able to provide a workable definition sans context -- best advice I got from the prep books) and made flashcards out of them. I had something like 2000 flashcards but I didn't ultimately spend a ton of time preparing.

They also got rid of the "the better you do the harder the questions get" tactic which helped a lot.

Someone correct me if I am wrong - but I believe the revised test is "section adaptive." If you do well on the first verbal section, the next one will be more difficult, but the questions will be scaled higher. Whereas the old test was question adaptive, the new one section adaptive.

I took the old test (but did quite well on the verbal) so grain of salt: I found Princeton Review's list to be more productive and expansive. I also wrote all of my cards by hand and I would, while reading or taking practice tests, note any words that I wasn't confident I would be able to define on the spot (there is a difference between understanding a word in context and being able to provide a workable definition sans context -- best advice I got from the prep books) and made flashcards out of them. I had something like 2000 flashcards but I didn't ultimately spend a ton of time preparing.

I started writing words on cards too. I think it really helps when you write the word with your own hand, it makes it easier to remember. 

I have another question about writing sample: how would one select a topic for writing? I don't have any previously written papers (i.e., for undergrad. classes for example). I do have my MA thesis, which I don't really like that much. Last year when I applied, I spent a lifetime trying to figure out what to write about and I ended up writing a summary or an extract of my thesis. It must have sucked since I didn't get in anywhere. I also have a very silly feeling that whatever I choose to write won't be interesting to anyone, and that many people have already written about it. So, how do you suggest I should select a topic that only requires a 10-20 pages? 

Edited by Rose Egypt

I had the same issue this past application season. I had been out of school for a few years, had some papers from undergraduate that I wasn't at all happy with, and had only a vague idea of what I wanted to do. I ended up working with the 10 page paper that interested me the most. But I completely dissected it and ripped it apart. It ended up being a completely different paper - with a different thesis - using none of the original material. Just starting with something made me feel a little less overwhelmed.

As for the material and the topic, you're right; a lot has been written about what you're writing about. But that's just the name of the game. You really have two options here and neither is better than the other (in my opinion). You can take a pretty commonly written about text and really really really do your freakin' legwork; OR, you can take a more obscure text that interests you and get ready to do some close readings. This latter option really relies on the quality of your writing, your ability to take risks, and your innovation.

I opted to go the first route. I took a really common play (Shakespeare!) and did almost two months of research. I went over probably 100 journal abstracts on my topic and read all the major theorists that contributed to the general theme of my reading (queer studies and rhetoric). My friend opted for the second route. He picked a relatively obscure play (by Djuna Barnes) and did nuanced, theoretically astute readings with a much looser thesis. We both got into top 20 schools - so judging from this very small sample size, I'd say that both ways are fine if you know what you're up against. The most important thing is that your writing reflects what you want to do. It should intersect well with your statement of purpose and be in your area of interest. It should also (again, in my opinion) reflect the work you'll be doing at the graduate level, not the work you have done as an undergraduate. I would strongly suggest starting (mostly) from scratch unless you have a solid thesis chapter to revise and polish. That way you aren't tempted to take shortcuts, and you can customize it to be as accurate an indicator as possible of your future ability. Also, (and I'm sure you'll hear this from multiple people) don't worry about the GREs. Focus on your writing and study for the tests when you can spare the time. Your GREs will get your writing read, but your writing is what gets you into the program. Just my two cents.

Edited by Metaellipses

Re: GRE Vocabulary-- there are quite a few good vocab flashcard apps for the iPhone. I deleted them immediately after taking the test, so I can't tell you the name. It did cost a few bucks.

I liked studying on my phone because I always have it on me. I'd study while taking the bus, walking the dog, and getting ready for bed. It was awesome!

And on the topic of the GRE Subject Test, Flash Card Maker Pro is AWESOME! It lets you make your own flashcards for everything and then reads them back to you, shuffles them, and quizzes you on them. It also lets you send the card packs to your email so you can sync them across devices that way. I have an Android, but I'm sure it also works on iphone.

Someone correct me if I am wrong - but I believe the revised test is "section adaptive." If you do well on the first verbal section, the next one will be more difficult, but the questions will be scaled higher. Whereas the old test was question adaptive, the new one section adaptive.

Oh! I did not realize that. My bad. It definitely makes more sense.

In regards to the writing sample, it should reflect your interests (at least that's what my profs told me). If your statement says that you interested in contemporary fiction, your writing sample probably shouldn't be your Shakespeare paper. It's not only showcasing your writing but also proving that you can do what you say you want to do. I'm adapting a grad paper. I didn't really like at first but as others have said I gutted and it has turned into something completely different!

Re: GRE Vocabulary-- there are quite a few good vocab flashcard apps for the iPhone. I deleted them immediately after taking the test, so I can't tell you the name. It did cost a few bucks.

I liked studying on my phone because I always have it on me. I'd study while taking the bus, walking the dog, and getting ready for bed. It was awesome!

I found this to be a really helpful approach, too. The app I used was called GRE Vocab, though now it looks like it's called GRE Vocab Genius for the full set of flashcards.

reluctantmidwesterner--have you thought about Pitt at all? I'm not quite sure about the route you take with young adult lit but they have a few people there (Troy Boone and Marah Gurber) who work with children's theater and children as the audience--although it seems like their focus is Victorian children's lit, so I don't know if that is too far from your focus. I didn't do my MA there but my grad advisor did his PhD there. 

I have looked at Pitt and they're kind of in limbo on my list right now. I'm not feeling a strong pull there based on what I've researched, but I haven't entirely cast them aside either. My interest in YA mostly lies in how it ties in with my other interests and I pretty much hate the Victorian Era...but I blame that on having to teach the Victorian Era while I was student teaching lol.

My master's program didn't require the GRE, so I haven't taken it yet, but I'm planning on taking it in June. I don't have a lot of spare time to study until the semester is over, but I try to squeeze little bits in here and there. I've downloaded a bunch of GRE apps on my iphone. There's also a fair amount of GRE vocab websites out there. In May, I plan to hit the study guides pretty hard as well.

I have another question about writing sample: how would one select a topic for writing? I don't have any previously written papers (i.e., for undergrad. classes for example). I do have my MA thesis, which I don't really like that much. Last year when I applied, I spent a lifetime trying to figure out what to write about and I ended up writing a summary or an extract of my thesis. It must have sucked since I didn't get in anywhere. I also have a very silly feeling that whatever I choose to write won't be interesting to anyone, and that many people have already written about it. So, how do you suggest I should select a topic that only requires a 10-20 pages? 

Maybe one of the topics from here will strike your fancy: http://call-for-papers.sas.upenn.edu/

I took it my senior year of undergrad, and I studied for about a week before. Like others have said, I wrote out my own flash cards and used a study book. I ended up scoring 91st percentile which was not as high as I would have liked, but what are you going to do?

As far as the previous questions about living in "conservative" pockets of the country and coming from non-"traditional" backgrounds, I really would not worry about it. I've grown up and lived in the South my entire life, and it's just like anywhere else except more... interesting. Sometimes there are people that suck, but there are going to be people like that everywhere. I would also like to reiterate that college campuses are going to be the most left-leaning pockets of those conservative sections of the country. It's just the nature of the academic pursuit. Don't let anxieties stop you from finding what could be your best-fit program.

Given a chance, the South (though endlessly frustrating) can be a beautiful and accepting place. We even wear shoes!