Fall 2014 applicants??

So I finally got around to doing a GRE practice test yesterday. I didn't do as terribly as I expected on the math, so yay for that lol. I figure I have a decent idea of what I need to work on now.

How is everyone doing regarding the writing sample? Does any of you have to write more than one?

I haven't really been working on mine much yet. I have a few in mind that will probably work w/ the varying page limit requirements. And there's always the possibility that something I write for my classes this fall might work as well. 

Hello, fellow gradcafers. :) 

It took me a bit to catch up with all the posts you posted--31 pages!

I felt as if I were a groupie following her favorite celebrity on twitter.

Anyway, to briefly introduce myself, I'm an international student from non-Anglophone country.

I did study at a university in Georgia for one semester as an exchange student.

But those four months are full duration of my stay in an English-speaking country.

Quick question here. Would it be a terrible idea to apply for a Ph. D. program at the university I studied as an exchange student?
I read some posts discouraging applying for graduate programs at the university where one earned B.A.
But I had great experience there. I'm not quite sure if I made any impression on professors I met there though.

(I took one English course but the professor who taught the class seems to be retired. I took a creative writing course too and the lecturer's still teaching at the university.)

Also, I've been agonizing over the universities I would like to apply to. Is it true that UC rarely accepts international students?

I'm sure that I would have disadvantages as an international student so I want to make sure that I don't apply to schools that will just chuck my application as soon as the admission committee sees that I'm not American. 

I would greatly appreciate your insight!  :rolleyes: 
Good luck for all of us!

PageandStage, I don't think you'd have any problems applying to your study abroad university. The reason most departments discourage undergrads from applying to their home university for graduate school is the tendency of search committees to view someone who has both a BA and a P.hD from the same school with suspicion. But since your BA won't be issued by the US school, this shouldn't be an issue for you.

Rose Egypt and Lycidas, thank you so much for your help! :) 

It's still nerve-racking to look at the acceptance rate of international students at English department.  :wacko:

Hello all! I've been lurking around for months and now that it's August I'm starting to hyperventilate- final undergrad semester, honors thesis, SOP, GRE....AHHHH! Just had to take a break from GRE practice questions (not so good...) and add another voice to the (already) stressed out crew for Fall 2014. :blink:

Also, if anyone else out there is looking at programs heavy on Renaissance/Early Modern, let's start a support group!

Hey guys--I posted on here a while back, but I need some more program advice. After talking with one of my profs, I'm going to look more at programs with strong contemporary American lit programs. More specifically, I'm really interested in where American literature is going and how we, in the university, going to study it. My writing sample is on the different uses of media (in narrative content and the visual design) in Jennifer Egan's A Visit from the Goon Squad. I have a short list of programs going (Penn State, U of Maryland, WashU in St. Louis, U of Illinois--Urbana Champaign, U of Iowa, Michigan--Ann Arbor), but I feel like I'm having a hard time finding programs...are there any other programs that anyone could suggest?

On 8/6/2013 at 10:10 PM, Winter Sorbeck said:

Hey guys--I posted on here a while back, but I need some more program advice. After talking with one of my profs, I'm going to look more at programs with strong contemporary American lit programs. More specifically, I'm really interested in where American literature is going and how we, in the university, going to study it. My writing sample is on the different uses of media (in narrative content and the visual design) in Jennifer Egan's A Visit from the Goon Squad. I have a short list of programs going (Penn State, U of Maryland, WashU in St. Louis, U of Illinois--Urbana Champaign, U of Iowa, Michigan--Ann Arbor), but I feel like I'm having a hard time finding programs...are there any other programs that anyone could suggest?

UW Milwaukee!

Let's just agree not to talk about that...

Haaaaaaaaa!

Hi everyone! I've utilized this forum via Google searches before, but this is my first time posting! I am thrilled to be surrounded by so many like-minded individuals. But of course! I come here for advice...

Does anyone have advice for more vigorous programs (i.e. thesis requirements of 50+ pages) that could possibly lead to admittance to their PhD program? My focus is eighteenth century and the rise of the novel, and possibly a bit of extra postmodernist fun.  Any direction would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Has anyone used a letter of recommendation from a professor emeritus? The only course I have taken in my period of study was taught by someone who retired after that same semester. 

Has anyone used a letter of recommendation from a professor emeritus? The only course I have taken in my period of study was taught by someone who retired after that same semester. 

I haven't, but I can't imagine why that would be an issue. If the professor is respected enough to have achieved emeritus status (I suppose you could think about their present relevancy), then they probably hold enough sway within your department to write letters of recommendation that will serve a positive purpose. Also, the most important part of an LOR is to have it personally reflective of your academic work and how that professor has seen you. If the professor taught you in a class that you succeeded in and they have personal anecdotes that pertain to that effect, then I see no reason why their LOR would be seen as inferior in your application.

I did, and I got into my top program. She had only retired the year before, but I can't see how that would make a difference, provided the prof in question genuinely knows you and can speak to the quality of your work.

The circumstance I could see an issue arising would be if the professor had retired many many moons ago and had been inactive long enough that a committee might suspect they've lost touch with the field. But even then, that would only be one letter of rec that could be easily balanced out with praise from younger faculty. So even that issue is pretty much a non-issue! 

Hi everyone, 

Since it's August and the countdown has already started, I thought to ask about your priorities, how would you arrange them at this stage? My list of priorities is:

1) Writing Sample

2) GRE

3) Personal Statement

4) Letters of Rec.

That's how I think of the process. I wanted so much to get a paper published and/or presented in a conference. The conference in which I was going to present a paper was cancelled due to the recent "revolution". So, what does your list look like?

I would move personal statement way up, above GRE and Letters of Rec. You can't do much about your LoRs once the professors have agreed to write them. You want to carefully select the writers, get them your materials, and follow up with them, so it's more grunt work than anything. GRE scores are important, but the personal statement is THE THING. When I was accepted, my POIs would contact me and mention either my writing sample or my personal statement. Not a single person mentioned my GRE scores; that being said, you don't want to bomb them, but the GRE shouldn't be nearly as high.

Also, I'm not sure where you are located, but I hope you and your loved ones have been safe and removed from the violence!

I agree with proflorax.  I had the same experience of POIs and adcomms only mentioning my WS and SOP; none of them mentioned the GRE, and I would have been floored had they done so.  So, were I to write or rewrite my list from my application process, I would have the GRE at the bottom.  The actual application materials are such a huge part of distinguishing you from other applicants.  In contrast, the GRE is something that I think you basically only worry about to the point where you think you're at least high-mid-range.

(You might, however, consider discussing the GRE and your concerns about it with your letter-writers.  I talked to my supervisor about it because I was not confident in my ability to raise my rather dismal score by retaking it, and I think he may have done a tiny bit of damage control for me in his letters.  Even if he didn't, it was cathartic to discuss it with him.  So, if you think you have a letter-writer who would be sympathetic and supportive there, you might want to give that a try.)

I would move personal statement way up, above GRE and Letters of Rec. You can't do much about your LoRs once the professors have agreed to write them. You want to carefully select the writers, get them your materials, and follow up with them, so it's more grunt work than anything. GRE scores are important, but the personal statement is THE THING. When I was accepted, my POIs would contact me and mention either my writing sample or my personal statement. Not a single person mentioned my GRE scores; that being said, you don't want to bomb them, but the GRE shouldn't be nearly as high.

Also, I'm not sure where you are located, but I hope you and your loved ones have been safe and removed from the violence!

I also agree with proflorlax. I wish I would have spend more time on personal statements and contacting POIs; I honestly believe that could have made the difference in getting into some programs I was rejected from last season. I had the same experience where professors in my program who contacted me after I was admitted knew my writing sample and my personal statement - I highly doubt they looked at my GRE scores beyond looking at them and checking off that they were in the "competitive range."

I think it is helpful (if only to ease your mind) to stay in touch with your recommenders throughout the sememster. I sent my a finalized list with all the due dates of the program applications about a month after they agreed to write them. Then, as due dates approached, I sent them a follow-up email with reminders of the program dates and asked them to let me know if there was any trouble with receiving emails from the online apps. They all thanked me for being organized so hopefully it wasn't an annoyance to any of them!

Hi everyone, 

Since it's August and the countdown has already started, I thought to ask about your priorities, how would you arrange them at this stage? My list of priorities is:

1) Writing Sample

2) GRE

3) Personal Statement

4) Letters of Rec.

That's how I think of the process. I wanted so much to get a paper published and/or presented in a conference. The conference in which I was going to present a paper was cancelled due to the recent "revolution". So, what does your list look like?

From my personal experience, my priorities at this point were:

1) Personal Statement

2) Writing Sample

3) Letters of rec

4) GRE

The only caveat with the GRE is that if you haven't signed up for the Subject Test in Literature (if you're taking it that is and didn't take it in the spring) then that should probably be done ASAP, or as soon as you get the funds to (ASAYGTFT?). The GRE General is all year round, but the Subject is only Oct-Nov and taking the test in November there's no guarantee that your scores will be ready in time for the earliest apps (granted, I don't think this is a HUGE problem, since I doubt schools even glance at applications until after their winter breaks). 

The reason I had my statement higher was because at this point I already had a finished rough draft of my writing sample and was given the advice to let it sit and stew for a bit before returning to start edits. Otherwise my writing sample would've been #1 ;)

I'm very thankful for your answers, especially for those who were accepted last year and still contribute to this forum. Regarding the issue of POIs, again, is it possible for any of you to share a sample of their letters to POIs? I keep postponing this task cuz I always feel that I'll screw up. Any volunteers?

Thank you so much for your concern proflorax. We live far away from the events, we just watch the news :)

Honestly... I didn't write letters to a single POI when I applied.  One POI happened to be giving a lecture/colloquium at my then-current uni and I managed to finagle an invite to lunch with him, but I was not admitted to the program.  I was, however, admitted to four other programs.  I know that contacting POIs really works for some people, but I did not consider it to be as important given various past experiences.  So I have no advice for contacting them, but I just wanted to say that it is or has been possible to be admitted without having contacted POIs.

Edited by Lons

Glad to hear you're in a safe place! 

There is no one way to contact POIs. Actually, if you surf through the forums, you'll read lengthy debates about whether or not contacting POIs is valuable. I did, but only when I actually had a question about the program. I don't think prior contact made any difference in my application season. In fact, I would really only email if you had a genuine question, rather than just to introduce yourself. 

Of the three programs with which I had the most contact, I was accepted to one, wait listed at another, and rejected at the third. That being said, I would do it again, only because the discussions I had with the POIs helped me to think about what to address in my SoP.