Fall 2014 applicants??

~3.8-9, total UG GPA ~3.7. The main issue was that I took an 8 unit lit class in my major and got a B while abroad so that's taking a hit too. It was an immersion university class in another language, though. 

My major GPA was about the same and my total UG GPA was lower by the time I started applying. Granted, it's not like I got into every school I applied to, but I got into some (which is what counts!).

As great as this is, it sucks that $55 is too far out of my price range considering whatever measly stipend I might be getting over the next few years.

Oh come on, it's $55. I'm sure you won't be living, literally, on bread crumbs. 

But you're forgetting about the intangible costs. You typically have to get a professor to vouch for you; then, you have to get special permission from the Minister of Magic. I mean, have you ever tried to get anything done at the Ministry of Magic? You'd think they'd come up with a spell to lessen the bureaucratic red tape and increase efficiency, but no. Budget cuts have led to longer lines, crankier staff, and, worst of all, the fire alarm goes off every single day because some rookie Auror is messing with an anecdote to the Fiendfrye curse. I tried to do some research in the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures just last week, and I had to fill out hundreds of forms just to have my proposal heard. We PhD students don't have that time!

And with that, I'll show myself out...

But you're forgetting about the intangible costs. You typically have to get a professor to vouch for you; then, you have to get special permission from the Minister of Magic. I mean, have you ever tried to get anything done at the Ministry of Magic? You'd think they'd come up with a spell to lessen the bureaucratic red tape and increase efficiency, but no. Budget cuts have led to longer lines, crankier staff, and, worst of all, the fire alarm goes off every single day because some rookie Auror is messing with an anecdote to the Fiendfrye curse. I tried to do some research in the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures just last week, and I had to fill out hundreds of forms just to have my proposal heard. We PhD students don't have that time!

And with that, I'll show myself out...

Thanks, I needed that today!

If only this worked...it would be well worth the $55! 

I can't say how many times I've needed this. I decided to study abroad the summer before my applications, which actually turned out to be quite a hassle because it drastically cut down on the time available to start working on application materials, take the GRE etc. Wish I could have gone back and gotten some work down on my applications that summer. 

Hi Rose Egypt,

I just contacted a POI for the first time. It is a little intimidating, but I am approaching POIs like I would a professor I currently have or one whose course I will be taking, with slightly more formality. I list the season and year I am applying for, give a brief overview of my interests/research plans, and then describe how my work is similar to theirs. I am mentioning specific theories and (especially!) specific papers so they know I have read their work.

I am mentioning specific theories and (especially!) specific papers so they know I have read their work.

I think this part is VERY important. I haven't contacted a POI yet, but I think unless you show specific interest in things they have written and been involved in, then it will come off immediately as a disingenuous attempt to "get on their good side". I know that's not your intention, but I think that's how it would be perceived. 

But what would be the subject of my e-mail, other than introducing myself and showing interest in a professor's work? What should I ask at the end of the e-mail? I'm really worried that I'll be misunderstood, I don't know why, but I always have this feeling. It feels as if I'm paying a bribe for someone to get what's not mine, you know what I mean? 

The conversation about contacting POIs is consistently the most controversial one around here and at the Livejournal Applying To Grad community. I don't think anybody can resolve it to your satisfaction, other than to say that some people contact POIs and find it immensely helpful and some people don't contact POIs and get into the best programs. Since you're nervous about the actual content of the email, maybe someone here could private message you with emails they sent themselves to POIs? Also, Getting What You Came For by Robert Peters discusses the topic at length. For what it's worth, Peters is very pro-POI contact, to the point where he advocates choosing a dissertation advisor before you ever show up on campus.

Hi all! I'm new to these parts, and I just wanted to drop a quick note to express how thankful I am for all the information you have all already shared. It's been great, too, in seeing I am not the only one who is gearing up for one of the most stressful experiences in life over the coming months. Perhaps the moment can be captured best with "may the odds be ever in your favor!" :wacko:  :ph34r: