Fall 2014 applicants??

So something interesting just happened. 

I'm not going to say the university (because I'm paranoid) but I just received an email from a DGS notifying me that a letter and one other material had not been received. The letter wasn't a form letter, it was more like a casual email (for a second I thought it was spam). The part I found most interesting was that another person was CC'd on the email. After I replied, I looked up the email address and saw that it was the scholar I most wanted to work with from that university and who I mentioned in my statement of purpose. This school notified within this time period (2/20-2/22) last year and I'm wondering what the heck this even means--the school is definitely one my advisor and I considered a "reach" school. 

Anyone else have this happen? I know people get the "you're missing stuff, you dipshit" emails all the time...but has anyone had the scholar they want to work with copied on it? I'm probably reading into this too much, but don't tease me--I know I roll my eyes at posts like this. I'm just crossing my fingers and hoping for gold. I clearly have the Olympics on my mind. 

Of course no one here is really going to have concrete information in this, unless they work for the admissions! But I would be inclined to think it a good sign. I mean why CC the potential advisor? Who know though right? I wouldn't assume anything until you officially hear, that way it's not too much of a disappointment if it's a no go.

Does anyone know the admissions statistics for the Georgetown MA?? I know I found some statistics on how many they admit one day back when I was applying, but now I cannot find it! I just see so many green posts... Considering it's my last school, I have so much invested in getting an acceptance and then praying like there's no tomorrow that they offer me some kind of funding. Because 40,000 a year in tuition is just impossible.

So something interesting just happened. 

I'm not going to say the university (because I'm paranoid) but I just received an email from a DGS notifying me that a letter and one other material had not been received. The letter wasn't a form letter, it was more like a casual email (for a second I thought it was spam). The part I found most interesting was that another person was CC'd on the email. After I replied, I looked up the email address and saw that it was the scholar I most wanted to work with from that university and who I mentioned in my statement of purpose. This school notified within this time period (2/20-2/22) last year and I'm wondering what the heck this even means--the school is definitely one my advisor and I considered a "reach" school. 

Anyone else have this happen? I know people get the "you're missing stuff, you dipshit" emails all the time...but has anyone had the scholar they want to work with copied on it? I'm probably reading into this too much, but don't tease me--I know I roll my eyes at posts like this. I'm just crossing my fingers and hoping for gold. I clearly have the Olympics on my mind. 

I really hope that’s good news! :)

Thank you to both of you! I just needed to freak out to a sympathetic audience who is likely to read into things as much as I do--us English folk are good for that ;] 

I just went back and reread my SoP for that school and realized that there was a verb tense error in one paragraph. I am disgusted with myself.

The only thing I want more than a PhD is to be the “Star in the Reasonably Priced Car” on BBC’s Top Gear. Well, that and to know (preferably in the biblical sense) Benedict Cumberbatch. If this whole “PhD” thing doesn’t work out, I’m chasing those dreams. 

Edited by Kamisha

Verb tense error???? You are sooooooo rejected!!! Unforgivable!

I said "begun" instead of "began". It's just a yucky one since "begun" is so rarely used haha. I realize this isn't a huge deal, but I hate that I reread it and saw it haha.

I completely understand the feeling. I forgot to include my work cited in my Notre Dame application and contacted them to fix it and I kept getting an auto-response so it never got added. That's obviously the only reason I got rejected. :P

I'm sure they will completely understand it was just a typo! They probably see plenty!

And Kamisha, I admire your dreams. And they are all just as likely given how freakin' hard it is to get an acceptance.

Thank you to both of you! I just needed to freak out to a sympathetic audience who is likely to read into things as much as I do--us English folk are good for that ;] 

I just went back and reread my SoP for that school and realized that there was a verb tense error in one paragraph. I am disgusted with myself.

Don't worry - in my template SOP, which I used for 11/13 schools, I had a dangling modifier. Pretty sure I screamed when I found it! 

Edit - A night of self-loathing ensued. 

Edited by Ozymandias Melancholia

“It’s amazing how many super villains have advanced degrees. Graduate schools should do a better job of screening those people out.” -Sheldon Cooper

I love this quote . . . makes me feel all warm, tingly, and . . . devious. Thanks for posting it! : )

Former Georgetown MA here. I'm not sure how many apps are received on average, but Gtown usually has about 30 people in its incoming class, with maybe 1/3 of those getting funding of some sort? Feel free to PM me if you have more questions. It's an AMAZING program.

Of course no one here is really going to have concrete information in this, unless they work for the admissions! But I would be inclined to think it a good sign. I mean why CC the potential advisor? Who know though right? I wouldn't assume anything until you officially hear, that way it's not too much of a disappointment if it's a no go.

Does anyone know the admissions statistics for the Georgetown MA?? I know I found some statistics on how many they admit one day back when I was applying, but now I cannot find it! I just see so many green posts... Considering it's my last school, I have so much invested in getting an acceptance and then praying like there's no tomorrow that they offer me some kind of funding. Because 40,000 a year in tuition is just impossible.

The only thing I want more than a PhD is to be the “Star in the Reasonably Priced Car” on BBC’s Top Gear. Well, that and to know (preferably in the biblical sense) Benedict Cumberbatch. If this whole “PhD” thing doesn’t work out, I’m chasing those dreams. 

Amen, sister....  Benedict would be a perfectly acceptable consolation prize instead of a PHD.   Even better if he wears the deer-stalker...

Collikl, I have loads of questions about the program itself, but I think I'll hold out until I find out if I get accepted! I don't want to needlessly excite myself and be crushed if I get rejected. 

Soooo, hopefully you receive a PM in the next couple weeks from me bugging you. :) 

So something horrible just happened. 

A DGS asked for a material that I do not physically have and could not physically have until months from now. I checked the website and it was required. I'm crushed. I would attend this school in a heartbeat and now it probably has no chance of happening. Crushed. 

A DGS asked for a material that I do not physically have and could not physically have until months from now. I checked the website and it was required. I'm crushed. I would attend this school in a heartbeat and now it probably has no chance of happening. Crushed. 

What material would that be?

Could you elaborate on that by any chance? Is this something out of the ordinary that other schools don't require? 

GRE subject test score. I had signed up to take it, my grandmother died, I did not take it, and it was completely an oversight on my part that I did not take this school that required it off of my list, though I somehow managed to take all of the others off. 

Edited by ArthurianChaucerian