Fall 2014 applicants??

Also, "10,600" applicants to Yale? Seriously?

Yeah, right? I highly doubt that. I have to say though, since I got rejected from my top choice (Duke), I haven't really cared other than praying I got in somewhere, which I did. Rejection still sucks though. 

Edited by Horb

Question: Oxbridge normally means Oxford/Cambridge. I keep seeing people saying M.Phil Oxbridge....Is there an Oxbridge school, does that mean they did one M.Phil at each place? Basically, what does that mean?

Question: Oxbridge normally means Oxford/Cambridge. I keep seeing people saying M.Phil Oxbridge....Is there an Oxbridge school, does that mean they did one M.Phil at each place? Basically, what does that mean?

It just means they're not identifying the specific school. Think of it as a mark of prestige, similar to people listing "Ivy" instead of an institution. 

No, the two schools are completely separate. 'Oxbridge' is just people being coy about specifying which one they went to, like when they say 'BA Ivy'. 

No, the two schools are completely separate. 'Oxbridge' is just people being coy about specifying which one they went to, like when they say 'BA Ivy'. 

It just means they're not identifying the specific school. Think of it as a mark of prestige, similar to people listing "Ivy" instead of an institution. 

Awesome! I went to Oxford on study abroad and thus was curious. I didn't remember anyone ever referring to something as Oxbridge other than the merging of Cambridge and Oxford. 

I would kill to have done my BA there. I found out too late about it in high school (I thought they went off of SATs, but at the time, they would accept APs instead). I can't fund it myself so I didn't bother applying for my ph.d there. 

Awesome! I went to Oxford on study abroad and thus was curious. I didn't remember anyone ever referring to something as Oxbridge other than the merging of Cambridge and Oxford. 

Yeah, I'm going to go ahead and identify that poster as myself. I'm at Cambridge, and I wanted people who read the notes to get some sense of my background. That just seemed like the right level of abstraction for the context of the results board.

The Yale 10,000 number must be for the entire university-- in 2011, they had 383 applicants.

http://www.yale.edu/graduateschool/academics/profiles/englishlanguagelit.pdf

As one of the many, many rejectees I can confirm that from the context of the email it was clear that they were talking about the entire grad school