Fall 2014 applicants??

Totally with you on that - I'm not quite sure how I'm going to survive next week. Even though I'm so done with snow, I now have my fingers crossed for that snowstorm I keep hearing about . . . at least then I can stay home and throw myself a pity party instead of just having to carry on like my entire universe wasn't just shattered.

I said it in another thread and I’ll say it again here: oy, my heart.

I just made my decision that if I only get rejections( I am trying MAs now), I would quit my job for good and reapply next year. Maybe it is really no pain no gain.

So if I haven't heard from Virginia, is it possible that is good or should I just assume rejection? I only ask because in previous years, they accepted people in March who weren't even on the waitlist. . . I have it as an implied rejection, but I just don't know with them. 

I’d say it’s always better to veer on the side of optimism :)

Horb - I have no idea :( There's definitely still a chance, though; UVA sent out that huge wave of rejections back in the beginning of the month, so if you didn't get one then I wouldn't give up hope just yet.

Me! Have you heard anything about their visiting weekend, or if waitlisted candidates are invited?

Waitlisted candidates are totally invited! It's on March 17-18. And It's definitely worth going to-- Charlottesville is magical and wonderful, as is the department.

So if I haven't heard from Virginia, is it possible that is good or should I just assume rejection? I only ask because in previous years, they accepted people in March who weren't even on the waitlist. . . I have it as an implied rejection, but I just don't know with them. 

Definitely don't give up! I spoke with the DGA this morning and he was explaining to me all kinds of communicated/non-communicated waitlists. Basically, unless you receive a rejection before April 15, chin up! Though it's exasperating, for sure. 

E-mailed Columbia-- "Our admissions committee has made its decisions, and GSAS will be sending out an informal email and official letters early next week."

Also, anyone waitlisted at Virginia?

Sorry if this is a stupid question,but not having had any intimation from them till now means that this email is likely to be a rejection,yes?

I was inclined to the optimistic 'no news is good news' view but I realise that I might be erring by being delusional too. :D

Edited by FoolofaTook

Any advice for how to ask? Email vs phone?

Because of UConn's March 15th deadline (which, might I add, they say "preferably," not definitively, and not with threats of not providing funding if you don't respond by then seeing as they signed that resolution,) I also emailed some remaining programs. Just be up front about it, give dates and school names, and most DGS that have responded to myself and others I know in similar situations have been very understanding/disapproving of said practices.

I think the poster meant disapproving of the schools insistence on you deciding by March 15th. 

Yes. Exactly. Most programs disapprove of the practice because it pressures applicants to make decisions, fearing a loss of funding if they don't make a choice. The idea behind the April 15th deadline is to give us time to make a sound decision without that pressure. I'd also email the school (I'm pretty sure Horb you said you were in at UConn) and ask if there's room for extending that deadline as you won't have heard back from all your programs.

Yeah I have mismatched decision deadlines and I'm not sure whether I should find a way to decide before March 15th, because I'd like to go to the uva visiting days and decide after. It sounded like the March deadline was somewhat negociable when I talked to the adcomm person but I guess I should make sure

For the fellow UCONN admits, the DGS said that it was totally fine to go beyond the March 15th deadline, but to let him know asap. So I wouldn't fret too much about making your decision in the next two weeks or so, the DGS made it seem like these decisions were very important and to not rush. 

Bye bye Stanford.

you have my sympathies mikers, I just got my letter too. my other rejections weren't such a big deal, it was mostly a crap shoot. but dammit, this one stings. :/ i really wanted the opportunity at stanford. 

This application, faculty members from five of my potential schools have searched my LinkedIn or Academia page. Three of those schools have formally rejected me. I wish they’d stop getting my hopes up. Haha. 

PS: Folks, LinkedIn is sneaky: in your Notification section, it may say something like “2 People Have Viewed Your Profile...” but that doesn’t included premium account members who semi-hide their identity. If you go into your full “Who’s Viewed Your Profile” page, many more appear. 

Edited by Kamisha