Working Internationally as SLP?

Hi everybody, I was wondering if you have any friends or acquaintances who have worked internationally as an SLP and if they've enjoyed it. Are our licenses recognized worldwide? Do we make similar money around the world? 

I can't answer these questions, but I am just here to encourage you to go internationally if it interests you. 

I had a family at work that lived in China and they were telling me that to get in with an English-speaking SLP, it's a two year waitlist! There is such a need for SLPs for expats in some places! 

I know Europe does it differently, so while they might recognize our certification, we would still have a hard time getting a job, except maybe with the government and expats. I lived in Germany for awhile and considered doing my degree there, but it wouldn't have qualified me to work in the US.

It is quite easy here in Peru. I have met two ASHA certified SLPs in Lima. One is from the US and the other is from Peru. They charge $40-50 per hour and work out of their homes. Both only work with fluency disorders. One has her time split 70% Spanish and 30% English, while the other only works with English clients.

I live in a large city north of Lima and there is not one certified SLP here. Here, PTs do the work of SLPs and it is not very good. My neighbor has a friend who is a PT and I was able to observe her. She knows that she doesn't know what she is doing, but she does the best she can with no training. Upon getting my certification, I plan on coming back to Peru and hopefully starting some kind of training for SLPs or SLPAs or even the PTs.

As far as visas to work here. Money talks. If you have money to open up a business, you can do it. There are many licensed chiropractors here from France and England and I am sure that they just get a business license and open up shop.

I would love to work internationally after finishing my degree, but I was wondering if there is some way to split your time?

My partner's career has him very much grounded here in the US, so a position at a hospital where I could spend 50-75% of my time here in the US & then the rest working at a clinic abroad would be perfect.

I've got Spanish, German, and Turkish under my belt & am currently learning Chinese & Somali.

Do hospitals with clinics abroad exist or am I living in fantasyland?

This is a great thread! I hope to work/live abroad in the future. I lived in Germany for a while and observed a German SLP who did German/English therapy. Thing are much different there, from the schooling (it's probably as good as the US but not as respected because it's not as academic) to the practice. For example, kids need Dr.'s referrals before they even see an SLP. What does your average Dr. know about language development and how to diagnose a disorder? I think it's changing but that's how it is right now.

• 2 weeks later...

It is quite easy here in Peru. I have met two ASHA certified SLPs in Lima. One is from the US and the other is from Peru. They charge $40-50 per hour and work out of their homes. Both only work with fluency disorders. One has her time split 70% Spanish and 30% English, while the other only works with English clients.

I live in a large city north of Lima and there is not one certified SLP here. Here, PTs do the work of SLPs and it is not very good. My neighbor has a friend who is a PT and I was able to observe her. She knows that she doesn't know what she is doing, but she does the best she can with no training. Upon getting my certification, I plan on coming back to Peru and hopefully starting some kind of training for SLPs or SLPAs or even the PTs.

As far as visas to work here. Money talks. If you have money to open up a business, you can do it. There are many licensed chiropractors here from France and England and I am sure that they just get a business license and open up shop.

I am a first year SLP graduate student at UNC Greensboro and my classmate and I are looking to do our 1-2 week externship this summer in a Spanish speaking country. I have been to Peru several times, speak Spanish, and would love to work with an ASHA certified (CCC) SLP in Peru. Do you know the contact information for the SLPs in Lima? I would greatly appreciate any information you may have!

Ashley (aeparks@uncg.edu)

• 1 year later...

I would love more information on this topic if anyone has found any. I am interested in moving to a Spanish-speaking country and working as an English SLP. Any tips, suggestions, information would be appreciated! My email address is danielleaowen@gmail.com.

Thank you!

• 1 year later...

I know Europe does it differently, so while they might recognize our certification, we would still have a hard time getting a job, except maybe with the government and expats. I lived in Germany for awhile and considered doing my degree there, but it wouldn't have qualified me to work in the US.

Are you sure that you wouldn't be qualified to work in the US if you had studied in Germany?

I would love to work internationally after finishing my degree, but I was wondering if there is some way to split your time?

My partner's career has him very much grounded here in the US, so a position at a hospital where I could spend 50-75% of my time here in the US & then the rest working at a clinic abroad would be perfect.

I've got Spanish, German, and Turkish under my belt & am currently learning Chinese & Somali.

Do hospitals with clinics abroad exist or am I living in fantasyland?

How did you learn so many languages? I am 1/2 German, so that is easy, but I found Turkish quite difficult in college. Did you live there by chance?

I would love to move and work abroad someday! Maybe working with expats or with kids on military bases. Even though kids aren't my best focus, I absolutely believe that military kids sometimes get the short end of the stick with services when they have to move around so much. As an added bonus, my boyfriend's projected career path would allow him to travel and live abroad as well, so provided everything goes well for him we could move to a variety of places. I'd really like to go to Germany at some point because I'm half-heartedly studying German and would love to occasionally have a use for it.

• 8 months later...

What a great thread! 

I´m currently living in Mexico City, and I´m going back in August for my masters in SLP (to a program with a bilingual emphasis). I definitely want to work in the US for a long time to gain experience and such, but I love the idea of working at or even opening a clinic here in Mexico City. I know there is a large demand (in Spanish & English). 

• 1 year later...