Notifying via "current address" or "permanent address"

jbean

Hey all! I was wondering whether any of you who have received mailed notifications from schools (mostly USC, UW, and BU, but all info is welcome) could tell me whether they used your "current address" or your "permanent address"? 

I haven't kept an address for more than a year since I lived with my parents, so I figured it would be a good idea to use their house as my permanent address, you know, just in case... (of course now I can't think of a single reason my current address wouldn't suffice, but whatever... the application process ate my brain). That would be fine, except my parents are currently living in another state and renting the house out to my sister, and let's just say we don't have the best relationship. No, let's say I can picture her standing over a pile of mailed materials and laughing maniacally about how I'll never get them now, bwahaha. 

Anyway... any information you have to offer would be greatly appreciated! Thank you :)

I've gotten most rejections through email, although one went to my permanent address. I got one acceptance officially through email (although they later sent a paper copy to my permanent address) and got an unofficial acceptance through the phone with an official one apparently being sent by postal mail (likely to permanent address because I don't think they have current mailing address). Most of them had my mailing current address. 

Edited by quickinstinct

If you are worried about not receiving the letters, you could contact the Graduate Office and/or your departments and let them know you would like to change the address on your application. However, I received email (or phone) notification for all admission offers weeks before the snail mail package came. Only one school responded purely with snail mail and it was a form rejection letter. According to results here on GradCafe though, that same school and program notified its admitted students by email though!

Chiming in to offer another data point, but I also know of no schools that only send a snail mail letter for acceptance notifications nowadays, so you would definitely hear via phone and/or email (and that come before any eventual physical letter). At that time, I am sure you could let them know which address is best to use for you as well.