Fall 2014 Applicants

CrazyCatLady80

I'd email the POI with something to the effect of, "Professor X spoke to me and encouraged me to contact you about my interest..."

And than give two or three paragraphs about your interest in that specific program.

Thanks a lot for that opening...My brain isn't functioning at 3 am, and thanks for helping me getting this out of the door. I shall keep you guys updated.

Edited by silentbirds

I followed the general consensus on here that you shouldn't contact POIs after late October-early November, but I wonder if professors themselves see it that way. They aren't looking at applications until January in most cases, and some really seem to expect you to have gotten in touch in advance so that they remember to look for your application. (Most of my applications asked specifically which professors I had contacted.) I still think it feels weird to reach out after the app is submitted, but I wonder if there's some cases where you should still try to make contact if you haven't (ie, maybe, like me, you realized late in the game that a certain program would be a great fit, and really want to go there).

PS. I still think it's really weird for an adcomm to wonder about your "seriousness" just because you didn't get in touch outside the application. What the hell?

Edited by levoyous

Alright, I now have another Skype "chat"/interview request thanks to that email. After fumbling through the first one, hopefully I do not screw up this one.  :unsure: I was so nervous and unprepared when they asked me if I have any questions for the program. My mind went totally blank at that moment.

I do wonder about contacting ad com and submitting new material after the deadline. I think by now it is too late to do anything, but I kept wondering if I should've sent in my better writing sample...

Edited by silentbirds

Yeah, I'm really hoping to get into THE Ohio State University but I know it's crazy competitive. Probably about 300 applications for 15-20 spots. But that's how it is at all top 25 schools. Last year, I heard Columbia received over 400 applications!

Cool cool. Hopefully at least a few of us will be there. I'm hoping to work with Hasan Jeffries and Stephanie Smith. Oh, and Curtis Austin and Judson Jeffries in aaas.

I worked with Dr. Austin in undergrad. He is an excellent professor! I didn't know until recently that he was at OSU now or I would've applied :( good luck to you guys !

Cool cool. Hopefully at least a few of us will be there. I'm hoping to work with Hasan Jeffries and Stephanie Smith. Oh, and Curtis Austin and Judson Jeffries in aaas.

Have you been to Columbus?  I did my undergrad at OSU (in business, though, not in history), and I can say that the city and the university are just great.  The amenities and student life there are really amazing and the city is vibrant, lively but accessible.  I hope you get a chance to go and experience it!

I actually had the chance to go in october! There was a diversity recruitment program that I was invited to. About 100 or so people were there, but only five in history. I met with Hasan Jeffries and he seemed mutually interested in working with me, but I can only hope the rest of the committee approves (that, and I didn't have outstanding GRE scores). I sat in on his undergrad class and a grad class taught by someone else. In total, I met about 8 or so faculty members. I hope things work out for the best. And I'm sure I'll be refreshing my app status a million times a day next week seeing how they began notifying people on the 24th last year.

Oh, and that's cool, glamdoll. Where are you applying to? And what types of programs

Edited by Whatishistoryanyway

I actually had the chance to go in october! There was a diversity recruitment program that I was invited to. About 100 or so people were there, but only five in history. I met with Hasan Jeffries and he seemed mutually interested in working with me, but I can only hope the rest of the committee approves (that, and I didn't have outstanding GRE scores). I sat in on his undergrad class and a grad class taught by someone else. In total, I met about 8 or so faculty members. I hope things work out for the best. And I'm sure I'll be refreshing my app status a million times a day next week seeing how they began notifying people on the 24th last year.

Oh, and that's cool, glamdoll. Where are you applying to? And what types of programs

Hi! I applied to places like UNC and Emory. Those especially strong in southern history. I am dying during this waiting process lol.

I hope everyone is having a more pleasant wait than me ! :)

It's one if my t

Anyone know who posted the emory interview for African history ? Sorry to sound anxious but it's one of my top choices!

Anyone know who posted the emory interview for African history ? Sorry to sound anxious but it's one of my top choices!

It's one of my top choices too. Did you get an interview?

It's one if my t

It's one of my top choices too. Did you get an interview?

No someone posted it on the survey that they got an interview from emory African history. From my research I think it's only one professor in that field. Not too sure, so maybe it is independent by the professor ?! Not sure. No I am freaking out because I haven't been contacted :(. This is a little early. Hope it's a fake post lolll haha(that was mean of me) lol

I wouldn't count on it being a fake post.  The fakes are usually acceptances not interviews.  Very good likelihood that this is an individual professor doing his or her thing.  I'm not an Africanist but I have a number of friends who are, given the size of the field, it can be very personal.

I wouldn't count on it being a fake post. The fakes are usually acceptances not interviews. Very good likelihood that this is an individual professor doing his or her thing. I'm not an Africanist but I have a number of friends who are, given the size of the field, it can be very personal.

Thanks for your response ! Guess I will just have to be more patient and let things play out :)

What do you mean an individual professor doing their thing?

The professor is independently conducting the interview ... I supposed. Am I correct on this meaning New England ?

Edited by Glamdoll