Fall 2014 Applicants

CrazyCatLady80

Nope. I'm 0/5 on 2013 applications and only have two more schools to hear from, so the pessimist in me is starting to think about the next application cycle. I guess you can never start planning too early.

I've been waiting for this thread to start, but I didn't want to make it myself!  I checked the one from last year and it started a day earlier, so I think you're good. :)

Abetheh, good luck with the rest of the cycle - hope you get some good news soon.

Seems like a good time. Most PhD programs have sent the news. MA programs are really all that's left. So I imagine most people who were unlucky applicants are considering the next application cycle. (; 

Welcome everyone! What are your fields? Any thoughts about possible schools? I have a list of around twenty schools. I am going to start narrowing them down this summer. My top three at this time are UMich, Berkeley, and Washington. 

Hello all :)

I'm not 100% set on specifics, but my main interests are in American environmental and urban history around the Gilded Age and Industrialization. I've done quite a bit of research on schools already (one of the smarter things I convinced myself to do), but I still am nervous about all of the work I still need to do before I have a resume I'm really happy with. 

Here's my current shortlist of schools: IU, Wisconsin, Cornell, Carnegie Mellon, Delaware, Cincinnati, Oklahoma, Houston, IUPUI (MA only)

Wisconsin and Cornell are my top choices for now. I tried to get a good variety of schools (along with good fit, of course). Good luck to everyone!

Not too early at all! Thank you for starting this!

I've been an observer of this site for a while and decided it's finally time to get involved :D

I'm currently looking at around 10 progams. I've visited six of them and met with three potential advisers and/or grad counselors (@ Columbia, Berkeley, UCLA). Has anyone else done this? I'm a compulsive planner so I felt it necessary to understand the feel of the program. My research interests lie broadly in early modern Europe and more specifically in the implications of reformation in the Tudor age.

Couple of things I've run across that I wonder if any of you have encountered/have opinions on:

- negativity from faculty re: job prospects after receiving a PhD

- programs that want to you focus on one specific area of research vs. programs that require you have several fields (potentially including a field outside of history)

All best to everyone!

I bet pretty much everyone who posts here can tell you that they've had faculty (even otherwise supportive faculty we have relationships with) have given us the doom and gloom talk about job prospects after graduate school. Lots feel like it's their duty to tell students that just so that they have absolutely no illusions about the situation, a sort of first step toward weeding out those who may thing a PHD is the golden ticket to money and fame.

That's not to say it's not true, because it by and large is, but you're also not alone in hearing it and if you've grappled with the realities of the situation and still want your PHD then apply away!

It would be academic malpractice not to give the "doom and gloom" talk to people thinking about grad school.  What's more, there are programs out there that are granting PhDs that have no business granting them.  Entire programs that have zero academic job placement rates.

It would be academic malpractice not to give the "doom and gloom" talk to people thinking about grad school.  What's more, there are programs out there that are granting PhDs that have no business granting them.  Entire programs that have zero academic job placement rates.

This is so true - my advisor, who did research on job placement rates for the AHA talked about this recently. He said in one year he'd looked at, 1070 phds were granted and only 270ish jobs were posted. But the competition for people in good programs isn't really that dire because some 600 people come from programs that are simply not competitive and whose students will never get jobs.

Not too early at all! Thank you for starting this!

I've been an observer of this site for a while and decided it's finally time to get involved :D

I'm currently looking at around 10 progams. I've visited six of them and met with three potential advisers and/or grad counselors (@ Columbia, Berkeley, UCLA). Has anyone else done this? I'm a compulsive planner so I felt it necessary to understand the feel of the program. My research interests lie broadly in early modern Europe and more specifically in the implications of reformation in the Tudor age.

Couple of things I've run across that I wonder if any of you have encountered/have opinions on:

- negativity from faculty re: job prospects after receiving a PhD

- programs that want to you focus on one specific area of research vs. programs that require you have several fields (potentially including a field outside of history)

All best to everyone!

I think that is a solid start. I talked to all of my POIs over late summer/early fall and had built barely any relationship with them. It was something I really regretted for this application cycle. A faculty member who knew me better might defend me during application season. So I think you're at a good start. Have you talked with them regarding what they expect out of an application? If your POIs are taking students and their funding options? I always interrogate regarding languages and what options I have/don't have. That's just me though. (: 

But negativity towards new PhDs is something you will hear about a bajillion times from faculty. Most seem to feel that they need to give you this talk because they don't want you to throw away your time and money on something that has no jobs in the end. However, I've had some great advice come from these talks. I had a POI that I emailed (and then discovered was retiring) who gave me a full 3 page email about problems in the field, how I should approach getting into Japanese history and learning the language, scholars that were close to my interests/felt I would jive with, and such. 

Area of interest wise I got nothing quite like that. I did get asked, at quite the detailed level, what I'd like to do for a long research assignment/dissertation. I gave a vague answer and then got pestered for more information. Afterwards I was kicking myself for not having a more solidified decision about my dissertation ideas. /: so yeah, learn from my folly. 

This is so true - my advisor, who did research on job placement rates for the AHA talked about this recently. He said in one year he'd looked at, 1070 phds were granted and only 270ish jobs were posted. But the competition for people in good programs isn't really that dire because some 600 people come from programs that are simply not competitive and whose students will never get jobs.

That's just sad. Thankfully most of the crappy programs don't have Asian historians/options for PhD in Japanese history, so I have less of an ability to be trapped into a bad PhD program . . . I hope. 

Anyways, once the last of my programs from this season gets back and I received word regarding funding, I'll know if I'm doing a program or not this year. So I'll be able to plan my application list for next year in April I believe. I'd start communicating early May with my programs. I think I'd aim for say, 5-7 range. UCLA, UW-Madison, Columbia are high on the list. 

I think that is a solid start. I talked to all of my POIs over late summer/early fall and had built barely any relationship with them. It was something I really regretted for this application cycle. A faculty member who knew me better might defend me during application season. So I think you're at a good start. Have you talked with them regarding what they expect out of an application? If your POIs are taking students and their funding options? I always interrogate regarding languages and what options I have/don't have. That's just me though. (: 

But negativity towards new PhDs is something you will hear about a bajillion times from faculty. Most seem to feel that they need to give you this talk because they don't want you to throw away your time and money on something that has no jobs in the end. However, I've had some great advice come from these talks. I had a POI that I emailed (and then discovered was retiring) who gave me a full 3 page email about problems in the field, how I should approach getting into Japanese history and learning the language, scholars that were close to my interests/felt I would jive with, and such. 

Area of interest wise I got nothing quite like that. I did get asked, at quite the detailed level, what I'd like to do for a long research assignment/dissertation. I gave a vague answer and then got pestered for more information. Afterwards I was kicking myself for not having a more solidified decision about my dissertation ideas. /: so yeah, learn from my folly.

Thanks for the feedback. I feel like I've talked to them all over the world, so to speak. Yes, to answer your specific questions. They have all told me that I shouldn't go anywhere that doesn't fully fund me with a 5 year package and that, given what I want to pursue post-graduation, I should only apply to the 10-15 "best" programs...which to be honest, makes me a little bit nervous! And I suppose I understand the negativity more and more -- but for myself, every job I've held since I was 13 has been teaching, so I can't worry about the negative when I know teaching is simply the only thing I really know. And the academic research end of the deal is like icing on the cake to me...getting paid (even if only peanuts) to stay in school for the rest of my life? Woohoo! :P

It has been touch and go as far as probing for my research interests. In my initial email to contact anyone I've met with, I've explained what my current research is and that I'm looking to continue down that general path. Prof at Columbia was extremely interested and talked to me for a good hour about what I've done, who I've read, where I want to go with it, etc, at UCLA we touched on it briefly and at Berkeley, we only discussed it in reference to where I stand currently with my language requirements.

I haven't contacted any faculty yet. I am waiting to hear about this fellowship before I make any plans. My top schools at this moment are: UMich, Berkeley, UCLA, WA, MD, OSU, UCSD, and Temple. I wouldn't apply to only the "best" programs. Rather I would apply to where you feel it would be the best fit. 

As far as the job market goes, I was warned by pretty much all the professors in my department. They also suggested a book on graduate school (I forgot what it is called at the moment....people mention it here all the time) to give me an idea what exactly is involved.  It is basically equivalent of taking a lean out on your home to start your own business. Despite all this information, I still want to go for it. I can't imagine doing anything else for the rest of my life. 

Completely agree, CrazyCatLady! (love the name btw :D)

The "top" schools thing is definitely not my feeling on what one should do, but I find it remarkable that every professor has said that. I coach high school students applying to collegiate musical theatre programs (talk about competitive -- whew!) and I tell them that the "top" program is the one they get in to! For what my specific research interests are, short of studying in the UK, my top choices (only choices, really) for advisers all happen to be pretty competitive programs (Harvard, Columbia, Princeton, Duke, Berkeley, Stanford, UCLA). There were a couple more, but they are retiring. So I'm left in a pretty sticky situation. My next step is to research the folks that have more broadly the same interests so I have a couple of options that aren't so far up in the clouds.

On a separate note, I go to UMich (though I am an undergrad) and would be more than happy to answer questions about the program, area, etc- feel free to send a PM.

Thanks....I might take you up on that offer as soon as I finish this incomplete and fellowship application. 

One thing that I think is important to keep in mind is what do you actually want to do with this degree. Personally, as much as I love research, I really want to focus on teaching. As I have said before, I don't dream of working at a R1 (I think that is what it is called) school, but rather a public university with a diverse student body like a CSU. Therefore, I don't think it is as important as getting into THE top school, but rather a good solid program that places a strong emphasis on teaching as well as research. Also, there are a lot of programs that are outstanding, but don't even rank. For example, a recent hire at my school attended some small university at Texas that no one ever heard of, but has an excellent program specializing in borderlands. 

I agree with CrazyCatLady - it is about where you fit. And that's why fit is so, so important. There may be 10-15 schools that are the best in modern European history, for example, but do they have someone who could advise you on... say, 1960s Czechoslovakia or 1989 Romania? It's all about where you fit in.

I know you'll get a lot of gloom and doom in the next year. I am lucky to have an advisor at my undergrad who believed I was meant to go to graduate school and meant to do this. Having someone on your side definitely helps. But in the end, it will come down to luck and fit. One you can control, the other you can't.

In the mean time, have fun, relax and do a little bit of research each day on programs - or a little each week if that works out better for you. It's a marathon, grad school admissions - and you really, really don't want to burn out whilest waiting for replies from programs.

Even if you are dreaming of teaching and not research you still need to be realistic about the quality of the program.  When I said there are programs granting PhDs that have a zero job placement rate in academia I really mean it.  Not at a research university, not at a slac, not at a community college.  Getting a PhD at a program that no one will hire from is a preventable mistake. 

And it's not just universities you've never heard of that fall into this catagory.  There are major state universities... some of them flagships... that fit into this catagory in history.  They have great scholars at them that might be your best fit.  It's still a trap.

Edited by New England Nat

I'm so glad to have found this forum! It's so hard to figure out what to do as an international student, because our home systems are so different.

I would like to ask you guys for some advice. I'm european, I finished my bachelor's in History (we don't call it that here, but to make equivalent to US degrees) in May of 2012. I've converted my grades into an american GPA and it looks like my undergrad GPA is of 3.16. Right now I'm attending a Masters program in Atlantic History (fifteenth to twentieth centuries), and my first semester GPA is of 3.0. My second semester is going better, so I might get that grade higher. I also hope to get a pretty good grade in my thesis. My main areas of interest are Early Modern European and Atlantic History, mainly focused on colonialism, imperialism and diplomatic issues.

After all of this background there are some things I need to know:

• Do you guys think I would be able to get into a fully funded PhD program with my european Masters program, or should I get into an American program (leaving me with two masters) and then try to get into a PhD program?
  • Considering those grades, what schools would you think are my best shots?
  • I also heard that you need to pay application fees (that's not the case here). Is there a standard fee or does it change from school to school?

Thank you all in advance and best of luck to all of you!

I'm so glad to have found this forum! It's so hard to figure out what to do as an international student, because our home systems are so different.

I would like to ask you guys for some advice. I'm european, I finished my bachelor's in History (we don't call it that here, but to make equivalent to US degrees) in May of 2012. I've converted my grades into an american GPA and it looks like my undergrad GPA is of 3.16. Right now I'm attending a Masters program in Atlantic History (fifteenth to twentieth centuries), and my first semester GPA is of 3.0. My second semester is going better, so I might get that grade higher. I also hope to get a pretty good grade in my thesis. My main areas of interest are Early Modern European and Atlantic History, mainly focused on colonialism, imperialism and diplomatic issues.

After all of this background there are some things I need to know:

• Do you guys think I would be able to get into a fully funded PhD program with my european Masters program, or should I get into an American program (leaving me with two masters) and then try to get into a PhD program?
  • Considering those grades, what schools would you think are my best shots?
  • I also heard that you need to pay application fees (that's not the case here). Is there a standard fee or does it change from school to school?

Thank you all in advance and best of luck to all of you!

Hi!

You should have at least a 3.5 GPA to get into a program worth attending.  Your GPA should probably be even higher if you're coming from a master's program because you're only taking classes in your field.  You might want to reconsider your plans if you have anything less than that.

Apart from the issues of grades, however, the difference between a European and American master's won't matter much. 

Do you have a more specific sense of your interests?  That would help you determine which programs are good fits.  For example, which early modern empire(s) do you want to study? 

Fees vary.  The most I paid was $125, I think.  Lowest was in the 65-75 range.

As far as the job market goes, I was warned by pretty much all the professors in my department. They also suggested a book on graduate school (I forgot what it is called at the moment....people mention it here all the time) to give me an idea what exactly is involved. 

Probably Gregory Colon Semenza's Graduate Study for the Twenty-First Century, which is a good book. It's definitely worth taking a look at for anybody who's still deciding about their path, in order to gain a sense of what's required to be successful in a humanities Ph.D. program. People who are committed should take a look at it too. I read it the summer before matriculating, and found it really useful.

I agree with Bloop - your GPA needs to be as high as possible. My GPA isn't that great (going to be somewhere between a 3.7 and 3.8), because I've had a lot of problems with my advisor (long story - PM if you want all the details). One thing that I am trying to do is get an article published or at least under review by the time I submit my applications. It is a lot of work. I have come to accept that I may not get accepted on the first try, but I am confident everything will work out in the end. 

Can I just say that it is absolutely *insane* that anyone thinks that a 3.8 GPA isn't a good GPA? I imagine that most of you went to American liberal arts institutions where you had to take classes in things you weren't good at - math, physics, fine arts, etc. - and those will weigh you down. That, and sometimes history classes can be tough. I have a 3.8 currently and I think that is absolutely nothing to sneeze at. In fact, I've met very few people who have higher than a 3.8 who have gotten into graduate school, funded and all.

The other thing I would be wary about is translating your GPA. It doesn't really work. At my study abroad location they grade out of 100 but nobody gets higher than an 80 and you have to be absolutely, 100% flawless to get a 80. They do in terms of 1st, 2nd 1st, 2nd 2nd, etc. and a 1st (equivalent of an A) starts with a 70. GPAs are calculated using weird weighting standards and... Not saying every international university is like that, but the point remains: don't compare yourself too harshly if you're translating your GPA into the American format. I know a lot of universities grade inflate for international students because it's just different. That, and the 3.5 GPA thing... as far as I'm aware, it's only for American students. If you're really concerned about it, I would email the person in charge of international admits at the schools you are looking into and say "Hey, I'm from X country and this is my GPA there. Can you tell me what you would translate that as?" Because I bet that each school does it different.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for all the replies. I was really discouraged when I converted my undergade average into a GPA because I finished as first of my year here. My average was 16 (in a 0-20 scale), and that got me an honours scholarship during undergrad, because they consider any average above 14 to be excellent. So I'm converting to american standards and I'm feeling quite dumb.

I expect to get an excellent grade on my thesis. My advisor is considered the best of the country in his field, and everyone that works with him has excellent grades. But I'm starting to doubt myself now.

As far as interests go: my masters thesis will be focused on european diplomatic agents (mainly french and british) that came to the Azores islands during the eighteenth century. As far as PhD research goes I would love to continue studying the issues of diplomacy during that century, but I would like to focus on Portuguese   diplomats going to those countries, so that will focus on the British Empire, mainly.