Fall 2014 Applicants

CrazyCatLady80

Finally, finally got my expected rejection from Chapel Hill today. I think it was rather thoughtless of them to wait so long to inform us about rejections, since they informed admits an entire month ago that they had been accepted. Maybe they had some sort of invisible wait list, but it still smacks of bad planning.

Question about accepting/rejecting an offer of admission:

I've decided to accept one school's offer of admission, but it was a difficult choice for me -- another school presented an outstanding case in its favor. I'd like to personally notify professors at both schools before I make anything official. However, I find that many of my e-mails start to seem boilerplated -- there are only so many ways to say "I've decided to come to University X; I look forward to working with you over the next several years" and "Unfortunately, I can't come to University Y. It was a difficult decision for me, and I hope we can maintain a professional relationship."

So, my question is this: it occurs to me that, if professors at either university compare notes, it may be concluded that my e-mails were boilerplated. I'd hate to seem disingenuous. Should I put in the effort to write nine separate, distinct letters (which I can do, but will be a massive, arduous task that I'd rather avoid if possible), or will professors get that there's only so many ways to write these sorts of e-mails?

Edited by thedig13

Honestly I think it's fine if you write the same email and insert the proper names in. An offer rejection email is not of the same level of importance as, say,  an SOP, and the professors and grad department secretaries all have seen every possible formulation in the book - they've been doing this for years. Make it short, polite, and friendly, but don't worry overly about describing why you are rejecting their offer - the more detail you go into, the more condescending it can start to seem to the reader. I wrote just three lines to both of the schools I was on the wait list at, something like "I'm so grateful to have been considered and was incredibly happy to make your small cut, but unfortunately I have decided to attend another institution this Fall. Thanks so much for your friendly communication throughout this process." 

On another note - every one of the schools I wrote these emails to wrote me back, sometimes quite curtly, to say that they wanted to know where I was going instead, "for their records." Am I obligated to tell them? Anyone know what they use this information for?

On another note - every one of the schools I wrote these emails to wrote me back, sometimes quite curtly, to say that they wanted to know where I was going instead, "for their records." Am I obligated to tell them? Anyone know what they use this information for?

I'd guess that they might want that information for the same reasons they ask you to list "other schools you're applying to" on the application forms - to see what their "competition" is.

Question about accepting/rejecting an offer of admission:

I've decided to accept one school's offer of admission, but it was a difficult choice for me -- another school presented an outstanding case in its favor. I'd like to personally notify professors at both schools before I make anything official. However, I find that many of my e-mails start to seem boilerplated -- there are only so many ways to say "I've decided to come to University X; I look forward to working with you over the next several years" and "Unfortunately, I can't come to University Y. It was a difficult decision for me, and I hope we can maintain a professional relationship."

So, my question is this: it occurs to me that, if professors at either university compare notes, it may be concluded that my e-mails were boilerplated. I'd hate to seem disingenuous. Should I put in the effort to write nine separate, distinct letters (which I can do, but will be a massive, arduous task that I'd rather avoid if possible), or will professors get that there's only so many ways to write these sorts of e-mails?

Also in general, remember that they're all professionals, they've been through this kind of stuff, they know it's a hard decision, etc. I don't think most of them take it personally, and they have lots of other things to care about besides what grad students they get.

Although I know that most people already have some idea of where they will be in the fall and, hence, won't look at this thread any longer, is anyone still contemplating attending the University of Washington (Seattle) for the PhD in History? My friend is waitlisted there and it is kind of his last hope. So if you were accepted and decided to go elsewhere, would appreciate it if you let the department know. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone ever gotten a waitlist acceptance on April 14-15, and how did you handle deciding on such short notice? Was your mind made up as soon as you got it, or did you ask anybody for a couple more days to consider it?

Has anyone ever gotten a waitlist acceptance on April 14-15, and how did you handle deciding on such short notice? Was your mind made up as soon as you got it, or did you ask anybody for a couple more days to consider it?

I just got accepted off the waitlist for George Mason, but I declined immediately as i've already accepted another offer (and put down a security deposit for an apartment).

I just got off a wait list today - I actually think it's relatively common to hear back at the last minute. I had decided ahead of time what my decision would be. If you're still waiting, I wouldn't hesitate to get in touch with the department!

I just got accepted off the waitlist for George Mason, but I declined immediately as i've already accepted another offer (and put down a security deposit for an apartment).

How'd you find housing so fast/early?

How'd you find housing so fast/early?

UC Davis is having a new graduate apartment complex built, and it is currently leasing for the 2014-2015 year. I got a heads up from the history graduate coordinator. Edited by spellbanisher

• 1 month later...

I think I am a little late to the party, but I am a current undergraduate student at the University of Georgia with a 3.75 overall GPA and around a 3.9 History GPA. I am hoping to study 19th century American politics (political party coalitions, southern unionism, etc.) and racial violence (formation of the Klan,Race riots, etc.). I'm not super sure about my top schools, but I know I would like to stay in the South since my interests are Southern leaning if not completely Southern. Right now, Emory, UNC-Chapel Hill, UNC-Charlotte, and Clemson are the only schools I have looked into. I would love to get into Emory, but I understand they are rather small and highly selective. Any one else in a similar situation? or share the same interests?

You should maybe add UVa (look at Elizabeth Varon, among others) and Duke to your list. Best of luck!

ETA: I believe there is already a 2015 applicant's group that will be able to add more wisdom. 

Edited by wiewanderlust