Fall 2014 Applicants

CrazyCatLady80

During my application cycle a few years ago, NYU had the most confusing and long-drawn out process. 

I was invited to a phone interview, but not to the visiting day. I subsequently heard that some people who were invited to the visiting days had not been interviewed, while others had been interviewed. It was also a bit unclear what their criteria was for inviting people because not everyone who was invited got an offer.

Eventually (quite late into the process, I think), I found out that I had been wait-listed. But, by this point, I had already accepted another offer, so it didn't really make a difference.

All of this is to say: hang in there, NYU applicants! 

Thanks for the info, Carthage.

I posted on the Results thread that I had a missed call from NYU the other night…no voicemail, no follow up email, no phone call since then. Do you think it's fair to call back at this point? Or should I just wait it out? The last thing I want to do is pester anyone...

That's a tough one, ccc376. 

My feeling is that if someone wants you to call them back or get in touch, they will leave a message or call again or send an email. So, personally, I would be hesitant to call them up on the basis of a missed call.

However, I can understand that you must be feeling very anxious about it. You mentioned in your other comment that NYU is your undergrad institution. Is there an informal, unofficial channel from which you can find out more?

Were you able to tell whose number it was?

That's a tough one, ccc376. 

My feeling is that if someone wants you to call them back or get in touch, they will leave a message or call again or send an email. So, personally, I would be hesitant to call them up on the basis of a missed call.

However, I can understand that you must be feeling very anxious about it. You mentioned in your other comment that NYU is your undergrad institution. Is there an informal, unofficial channel from which you can find out more?

Were you able to tell whose number it was?

ur screen name is badasss

Although I'm (hopefully) going into English, I thought I would update this on behalf of my fiance.

He has heard back from the University of Kentucky (M.A.), Auburn University (M.A.), and the University of Illinois - UC (Ph.D). All rejections. He received emails for all three telling him he was rejected or for him to check his status. Auburn sent a more personal rejection, so that was nice in a sense. 

He hasn't received an email or heard about funding, but when he went on and checked his status for the University of Tennessee - Knoxville there was an acceptance letter posted. 

If anyone is wondering about those schools, we've heard word at least. 

We are still waiting on notification from Purdue (M.A.), University of Alabama (M.A), University of Mississippi (M.A.), and Ohio University.

The best of luck to all of you!

Is this true?

• No surprise. I was not particularly thrilled with their application process anyways... what was up with that form (after paying the app fee) that made you answer questions about marriage/children before they'd consider y

From Harvard.

I do not think the insinuation that this is used against you in the decision-making process is at all true. There are a number of full-time PhD students at in the history program at Harvard who do have kids and families. Given that the questionnaire popped up after the rest of the admission was complete, I believe that the questionnaire is primarily for use by the graduate school as a whole—hopefully to help decide whether to better support graduate students with families through institutional means (i.e. subsidized child care, expanded student family housing, dependent coverage on insurance, etc.).

Ditto ! I see I'm not the only one gearing up :) lol at least I won't be alone

It seems like some on here have applied 2 or 3 times before getting in where they want. For those who have gone through multiple cycles...how did you decide that was the best thing to do? There's obviously no guarantee you would get into a better program...