Fall 2014 Applicants

CrazyCatLady80

and as a side note - I contacted POIs at all these schools. everyone of them seemed eager to talk to me and said that i seemed like a person they could work with. maybe none of them were on the grad admission committees

I honestly think that the whole POI thing is rarely a deciding factor, and may lead to a lot of false hope in general because the profs want to seem encouraging but can't actually commit to anything before the committee meets. I was told by my academic advisor to write private emails to POIs at schools, but I decided not to do so, because I honestly felt that it would be at best a pretty meaningless gesture, and at worst an annoyance for busy profs who can't really help much. I did of course mention profs I'd like to work with in my SOP, but that was the only place that I did so, and I received a private email from one of the profs in mentioned in my SOP a couple of weeks ago wanting more details about my application. I kind of think it's better to make them come to you rather than going to all that effort to catch their attention when they usually can't actually do much for you. I have had one acceptance so far, and I hope that it's a sign that you don't need to contact POIs in order to be accepted to a high-ranking Ph.D. program.

I honestly think that the whole POI thing is rarely a deciding factor, and may lead to a lot of false hope in general because the profs want to seem encouraging but can't actually commit to anything before the committee meets. I was told by my academic advisor to write private emails to POIs at schools, but I decided not to do so, because I honestly felt that it would be at best a pretty meaningless gesture, and at worst an annoyance for busy profs who can't really help much. I did of course mention profs I'd like to work with in my SOP, but that was the only place that I did so, and I received a private email from one of the profs in mentioned in my SOP a couple of weeks ago wanting more details about my application. I kind of think it's better to make them come to you rather than going to all that effort to catch their attention when they usually can't actually do much for you. I have had one acceptance so far, and I hope that it's a sign that you don't need to contact POIs in order to be accepted to a high-ranking Ph.D. program.

I think you're right about this; I got an interview and an acceptance from schools where I hadn't contacted a POI. On the other hand, it certainly can't hurt anything, and might make an early impression that helps you get on a professor's short list (especially if you're able to speak with them by phone). I'd say if there's any chance it helps, go for it. I just way overthought it, and a very brief, genuine, non-wonky email is the way to go.

Edited by levoyous

Question: at what point (/does it ever) become appropriate to contact a professor to ask if you've been rejected? I figure that it's not appropriate and in many cases comes through as needy. But I was approached by two different Harvard professors for skype interviews (had them, they seemed to go reasonably well given that I had less than an hour warning for one of them), and I'm wondering if I could send them something asking for an update. I realize that at this point I've almost certainly been rejected and it's just a matter of waiting till March for the official rejection letter (though I'm hoping against hope that not all of the acceptances have gone out... Haha, likely). Still, these profs both said that they'd welcome questions. Could I maybe shoot them an email asking for a status update? Ughhhhh. I just want that last little glimmer of "but I had two interviews so I have a chance, right?????" to die a gruesome and horrible death. Preferably before March.

By the way levoyous, I also love your google doc - I am impressed at your devotion and I'm sure that many people are grateful for it! Are you updated your results based only on the results list on this website, or also comments in the forums?

Edited by maelia8

Maelia8 I basically had that same thought process. My undergraduate thesis advisor told me she's very "whatever" when it comes to being contacted by prospective students.

Question: at what point (/does it ever) become appropriate to contact a professor to ask if you've been rejected? I figure that it's not appropriate and in many cases comes through as needy. But I was approached by two different Harvard professors for skype interviews (had them, they seemed to go reasonably well given that I had less than an hour warning for one of them), and I'm wondering if I could send them something asking for an update. I realize that at this point I've almost certainly been rejected and it's just a matter of waiting till March for the official rejection letter (though I'm hoping against hope that not all of the acceptances have gone out... Haha, likely). Still, these profs both said that they'd welcome questions. Could I maybe shoot them an email asking for a status update? Ughhhhh. I just want that last little glimmer of "but I had two interviews so I have a chance, right?????" to die a gruesome and horrible death. Preferably before March.

Maybe you could ask generally if all the decisions have been made. I'm in the same boat, but not brave enough to ask yet. So selfishly I would love for you to do it. ;)

By the way levoyous, I also love your google doc - I am impressed at your devotion and I'm sure that many people are grateful for it! Are you updated your results based only on the results list on this website, or also comments in the forums?

Thank you! I mostly did it to distract myself. I'm updating mostly based on the results board, but have also put in a few things (like cohort sizes) I've learned from my own reporting or that people have told me on here or in private messages.

I respectfully disagree. On three separate cases, I was able to schedule appointments for telephone conversations (each one lasted about 20-30 minutes). On several other cases, POIs notified me that they were retiring and therefore unable to take on graduate students, which helped me refine my SOP (i.e.: which POI names to suggest as viable mentors). I've also been told by professors that, even if all I get in response is "I look forward to reading your application," at least I get my name in the back of their heads, and, when they're reading applications, that pays off more often than one might expect.

Long story short, I'm glad I contacted POIs in October/November. It took minimal effort and, at times, paid off substantially.

I respectfully disagree. On three separate cases, I was able to schedule appointments for telephone conversations (each one lasted about 20-30 minutes). On several other cases, POIs notified me that they were retiring and therefore unable to take on graduate students, which helped me refine my SOP (i.e.: which POI names to suggest as viable mentors). I've also been told by professors that, even if all I get in response is "I look forward to reading your application," at least I get my name in the back of their heads, and, when they're reading applications, that pays off more often than one might expect.

Long story short, I'm glad I contacted POIs in October/November. It took minimal effort and, at times, paid off substantially.

Checking to make sure they will not be on leave, departing, or retiring is a good reason to do it. I don't think the "make them come to you" part makes sense, but agree that this is pretty unlikely to give you much of an admissions advantage.

Well, Princeton letters are out. I was sent a rejection e-mail not ten minutes ago.

Kinda sad. For reasons that I'll not bore you with, Princeton has sentimental value to me, and it would've been nice to have a letter of admission from them.

I'm glad that ended up paying off for you ;) You are right, it is a minimal time investment, and even if it can't help much, it certainly can't hurt either. However, the point I'm trying to make is that I don't think that it is in any way necessary to ensure admission, contrary to what a lot of people are told by their advisors and mentors. I also think a lot of people regard an "I look forward to reading your application" or "let's talk on the phone sometime" as an  sign of likely admission, when it's generally just a polite gesture, and then they end up getting disappointed.

Checking to make sure they will not be on leave, departing, or retiring is a good reason to do it. I don't think the "make them come to you" part makes sense, but agree that this is pretty unlikely to give you much of an admissions advantage.

Levoyous, you're right, that is a viable way to check if they are retiring or leaving the department (although usually their department website profile will say if they are going on leave, and you could also find that out from the department secretary without even contacting the prof). I guess what I meant by "make them come to you" was more along the lines of "don't seem desperately overeager" than "maintain a cold and haughty façade." 

Well, Princeton letters are out. I was sent a rejection e-mail not ten minutes ago.

Kinda sad. For reasons that I'll not bore you with, Princeton has sentimental value to me, and it would've been nice to have a letter of admission from them.

Sorry to hear that. But there's always other universities to make new memories, right? Hope everything else pans out for you. :)

Sorry to hear that. But there's always other universities to make new memories, right? Hope everything else pans out for you. :)

Thanks. Other programs have, indeed, admitted me. Really, I have no reason to complain; some people would love to be in my situation. My disappointment reflects my egoistic greed more than a situation of actual desperation.

Glaring grammar mistake in the Princeton rejection letter - but alas, still a rejection.

Where? Was it the punctuation one at the end of the first paragraph, or are you referring to something else?

Maybe it's a massive system error. MIT accidentally sent out a batch of admissions letters earlier this year, and immediately followed them up with apology/clarification e-mails saying that applications were still being considered and that no final admissions decisions had been made.

Oh man, that would be awful! It's been two days and I still have nightmares that my one admittance is the result of a technical error …  :unsure:

Same boat here. It's been a week since I was admitted to a top program, and I'm still waiting for that "system error" e-mail. I've developed this intense insecurity that, for some reason or other, the adcom wildly overestimated my ability to do graduate work and that I'll show up for the first day of classes only to realize that I'm insanely underqualified and unprepared for graduate school.