Fall 2014 Applicants

CrazyCatLady80

UCLA has finalized the admissions process, as notifications should be official in the coming days.  I have been admitted into ancient history concentration.  Received email from POI yesterday.  This is the first school to respond, and probably, as a funded offer, a no-brainer, as I would not have to relocate.

Thanks for the update! Looking forward to hearing!

It still just says "Submitted." My guess is you're waitlisted or rejected if you haven't been contacted because the admitted students weekend emails cc-ed all 22 admits.

Ok. Thanks a bunch :) I didn't know they had a wait list.

Rheasylvia, how did you hear from UCSD?

Per my online status and others here, decisions have not been finalized...

Informal email from POI stating "It is the case that our state university has had many budget cuts, and we were unable to admit some outstanding students."

Everyone is being so quiet this weekend! I hope it is in contemplation of generous fellowship offers :) 

Just a little personal learning experience to share. I'm traveling to two schools in the next month, and I have yet to hear anything from a program that I would *love* to be able to add to the itinerary! I was really worried about contacting my POI and seeming impatient, but it will make a difference for the tickets I'm booking (since I'm overseas). I sucked it up and sent the inquiry, and my POI checked on the process for me, and had an answer for me as to when admissions decisions would be revealed, all within 24 hours -- on a weekend! I'm now pretty convinced that if it is the right POI, they aren't going to interpret an inquiry like that in the wrong light :)

I think it's quiet this weekend because everyone is quietly waiting ;) I bet a lot of us are going to hear something Monday or Tuesday - that's when I heard from both of the schools I've heard from so far last week. 

Just a little personal learning experience to share. I'm traveling to two schools in the next month, and I have yet to hear anything from a program that I would *love* to be able to add to the itinerary! I was really worried about contacting my POI and seeming impatient, but it will make a difference for the tickets I'm booking (since I'm overseas). 

If you've already had an offer from these two schools, won't they cover the costs of your flight there? I live in Germany, but the school I have had an offer from has said they'll cover the cost of my international flight to the visiting day in March.

Lucky you! I'm still waiting on four schools, but I'm pretty sure one of them is a reject (based on the acceptance timeline of others so far), so only three are really "mysteries."

Everyone is being so quiet this weekend! I hope it is in contemplation of generous fellowship offers :)

Just a little personal learning experience to share. I'm traveling to two schools in the next month, and I have yet to hear anything from a program that I would *love* to be able to add to the itinerary! I was really worried about contacting my POI and seeming impatient, but it will make a difference for the tickets I'm booking (since I'm overseas). I sucked it up and sent the inquiry, and my POI checked on the process for me, and had an answer for me as to when admissions decisions would be revealed, all within 24 hours -- on a weekend! I'm now pretty convinced that if it is the right POI, they aren't going to interpret an inquiry like that in the wrong light :)

Wouldn't even worry about it.  I petitioned my POI at UCLA to read my longer writing sample, as the required one for the dept. was 10 page max.  Another POI read my SOP before submitting it to the dept.  I totally went out on a limb and have received my first choice first. They've all been there before.

It seems like, at least from the last few years, that the department notifies its accepted applicants first and then the next day reaches out to those applicants it rejects. I think it is safe to say that if you don't hear from them today, it is probably a rejection.

I still have neither an admit, deny, nor a waitlist notification.

I still have neither an admit, deny, nor a waitlist notification.

Yeah, Vanderbilt seems to be doing things differently because I have not received any notification either way. For the past few years they let their admitted students know one day and sent out rejection notices the next. It keeps me wondering what is going on there in Nashville.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone tallied up or managed to figure out the following?

Do the majority of schools

1) send out acceptances and rejections and wait list notifications mixed together over a period of 3-5 days

2) first send out all of the acceptances and wait lists one day and the rejections on the following day

3) send out acceptances and wait lists first, then wait a week or two before sending out the rejections

So far I haven't been able to see any method taking the majority.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone tallied up or managed to figure out the following?

Do the majority of schools

1) send out acceptances and rejections and wait list notifications mixed together over a period of 3-5 days

2) first send out all of the acceptances and wait lists one day and the rejections on the following day

3) send out acceptances and wait lists first, then wait a week or two before sending out the rejections

So far I haven't been able to see any method taking the majority.

Seems to depend on the school. The two I am waiting on, based upon prior years, seem to do 3-8 days of acceptances in February, then a bunch of rejections in March, and then the occasional late acceptance thereafter which I assume are waitlisters. So I interpret no acceptance or rejection as waitlist. 

UMichigan hasn't said anything yet, right? I actually decided to log into their application status interface thingy today and find the site keeps crashing on me.

Waiting to hear from them too. No news online. Their official site says news the first week of march..nothing via email though either

UMichigan hasn't said anything yet, right? I actually decided to log into their application status interface thingy today and find the site keeps crashing on me. 

Indiana's is doing the same to me...I think its a conspiracy!

I heard about my waitlist status at Michigan last year on the 22nd (a Friday if that helps), so I would suspect news this week or early next. Good luck guys!