Fall 2014 Applicants

CrazyCatLady80

I am on that official wait list of "less than 10 people," and they told me that they have been able to go to the wait list in 3 of the past 5 years, but it was very late in the Admissions process - shortly before the April 15th deadline for all graduate programs in the U.S. - and it's doubtful that they'd have an answer for me before April 1st.  Like I said, I'm not going to hold out on an acceptance there, although based on what's been recently posted it seems more likely than getting into Princeton off of the wait list.

Wait, but why does Princeton even HAVE a wait list then, if it never actually leads to anyone getting in? That seems to defy the definition of a wait list. Sounds more like a "wanted to let you know that you were pretty darn good, but we still don't want you" list.

That is basically how it's treated.  At least according to a tenured professor who told a group I was in that they considered it "an honorable mention".

You have to understand Princeton in the last few years has accepted roughly 36 people for an ideal cohort of 24, and they'd go as low as 16 before considering the cohort to small.  20 people are not going to turn them down.  They just operate with a lot more margin for error in their cohort size than most places that really have to budget do. 

Edited by New England Nat

It seems like, at least from the last few years, that the department notifies its accepted applicants first and then the next day reaches out to those applicants it rejects. I think it is safe to say that if you don't hear from them today, it is probably a rejection.

What about Stanford? I noticed two or three acceptances there on the results from yesterday and today, but no rejections as yet.

sometimes acceptances come then rejections a week or so later...each school works a bit different though

What is all this wait listed stuff and so few acceptances at IUB?? 

And whyyyyy do I not hear anything from anyone! ;)  Yes, I am being dramatic. But, still would like to know one way or the other.

Story: just had a cell call from a number I didn't recognize. Picked up and the call was lost (I have bad cell connection right now). So I looked up the area code online and it was a Pittsburgh number. I nearly fell off my chair in worry. Called back and the number was "disconnected". 

Further search online determined that it was a scam call. Really?! From Pittsburgh?! Do the scammers WANT me to hunt them down?  :angry:  :wacko:  :blink:  :o

Would it be fair to say that for those who applied to Stanford / Columbia / Harvard / Chicago (i.e. me), if I have not received any email notification from POI, I have probably been rejected?

Edited by baremind

Would it be fair to say that for those who applied to Stanford / Columbia / Harvard / Chicago (i.e. me), if I have not received any email notification from POI, I have probably been rejected?

I'm afraid so.

FYI: Cornell had a faculty meeting to discuss admissions this afternoon (I told you snow doesn't stop anything from happening here) so I would expect results soon. 

Edit: Davis decisions have been made, and advisers are contacting students. I don't think it's officially in the system for a while... it took over a month for me to get the official system message.

Any more news re: UC Davis? Are all offers out? CageFree, do you know how many offers the program typically makes? 

I'd take an update too please!

That makes three; at least as far as UCSD is concerned.

Seems strange that a few offers are on the boards if they haven't been finalized yet....

Will the person who are accepted by Stanford (yay!) but rejected by UCSD please stand up?

Informal email from POI. But I do think UCSD is an amazing school, don't get me wrong. I just got both news (my admission at Stanford and the UCSD rejection at the same time). 

UCLA has finalized the admissions process, as notifications should be official in the coming days.  I have been admitted into ancient history concentration.  Received email from POI yesterday.  This is the first school to respond, and probably, as a funded offer, a no-brainer, as I would not have to relocate.  

I have a quick question for Duke applicants. Once you were accepted/rejected, did your status on the online website change ? Or still say "submitted?"

It still just says "Submitted." My guess is you're waitlisted or rejected if you haven't been contacted because the admitted students weekend emails cc-ed all 22 admits.