Fall 2014 Applicants

CrazyCatLady80

Thinking about going to bed so Monday will get here sooner.

hahah I totally get that. From what I remember from last time around (2 years ago), should be some big weeks coming up. Here's to finishing a thesis chapter during those two weeks and running and presenting at a conference! Stay busy people! Time will only go by faster then.

I do get to see BIll Nye give a talk tomorrow which should be pretty fun! Anyone else have plans for the week?

Have most of you who've been accepted somewhere received emails from your POI? I've been accepted to one university, rejected from another, and am waiting on responses on 3 others, but I have yet to hear from any POI - my acceptance email was from the graduate adviser for the department. It's making me a little nervous as far as funding is concerned...

I have just gotten an email from the graduate administrator/ DGS or a letter in the mail. 2 of them were offers with full tution remission + stipends without POI contact! The other, I am waiting on funding news. Hope this makes you feel a bit better.

levoyous do you know by chance if that means that those who weren't invited won't be accepted?

I think that's right, unless perhaps you're an international student. I've heard from professors that in previous years that only applicants from/in the US were invited.

I think that's right, unless perhaps you're an international student. I've heard from professors that in previous years that only applicants from/in the US were invited.

I'm an American but I'm currently living abroad. I also applied to the joint French and history program, so maybe there's a difference there. Ah well, I should probably stop spazzing about it and wait it out, but I can't help it, haha.

I'm an American but I'm currently living abroad. I also applied to the joint French and history program, so maybe there's a difference there. Ah well, I should probably stop spazzing about it and wait it out, but I can't help it, haha.

I could be wrong....but it could also be the case that people could reject their offers and they will make others...sometimes I think that is why schools don't reject some people right away after they invite their initial group to the visit day....I would look at it as a likely rejection and then hopefully, be surprised.

That's entirely different then - the IFS is separate from the NYU history department and isn't part of its admissions process (though the history dept signs off on their admits).

PS. I also applied to IFS. They only accept 4-5 people, so I guess it's a bit of a long shot for all of us, but best of luck

That's entirely different then - the IFS is separate from the NYU history department and isn't part of its admissions process (though the history dept signs off on their admits).

PS. I also applied to IFS. They only accept 4-5 people, so I guess it's a bit of a long shot for all of us, but best of luck

Ohhh ok I had no idea the history department just signs off on the IFS decision. Fingers crossed for the both of us!

I don't think NYU flies in people from out of the country. Also, you're competing with different people in the IFS. My year they only made an offer to one History and one Literature track, if I'm not mistaken. I think that's usually the case. If you look in their department page I don't think there's as ingle year with more than 2 history representatives.

Here comes Columbia. 

PS. Bugs me when people post that they got "5 years of funding" from an Ivy League school, as if they don't know that everyone who goes there gets full funding. 

Columbia has actually been notorious (at least in the recent past) for not having enough TAships to go around for all the grad students who need them at any given time. I'm not sure what that meant insofar as their offers (the surplus grad students might be outside the five-year window, or judged to have failed to live up to their concurrent obligation to seek outside funding to offset departmental costs or something), but this may in fact signal a change, or a particularly desirable applicant.

Edited by czesc

Columbia has actually been notorious (at least in the recent past) for not having enough TAships to go around for all the grad students who need them at any given time. I'm not sure what that meant insofar as their offers (the surplus grad students might be outside the five-year window, or judged to have failed to live up to their concurrent obligation to seek outside funding to offset departmental costs or something), but this may in fact signal a change, or a particularly desirable applicant.

At what point should an admitted applicant start seeking outside funding? I'm not very well-versed in terms of the funding structure. My understanding has always been that I'm guaranteed five years of funding, but, around Year 3, should start thinking ahead and looking for funding for Year 6 onwards. How wildly wrong am I?

Edited by thedig13