Fall 2014 Applicants

CrazyCatLady80

If there is anyone here that applied to Vanderbilt, I talked to my POI on Tuesday, January 21. He said that faculty recommendations were due by Wednesday although he was unclear if he meant the next day or the following Wednesday. He said that the graduate committee would meet within a week of that and then decisions would be sent out shortly after. Assuming my POI is correct, the Vanderbilt graduate committee should have either met last week or this week. Therefore, stay tuned for decisions from Vanderbilt hopefully within the next week or two.

So if I haven't heard anything from GW, OSU and Northwestern, what should I think? I figure this stands that I have been rejected? The sites all say that my app is either "pending" or "in review". Advice?

I'd like to know about the osu status as well. Mine still says pending and the dgs didn't respond to my email. I'm assuming rejection at this point. It was number one on my list, but it looks like I will be pursuing my other options.

Harvard does seem to be open today. Nothing on the results board from Harvard though (and nothing in my inbox...sob.) Wouldn't this be a bit early for them anyway?

Harvard has a faculty meeting scheduled today. Could be a POI was very eager to notify. But yes, historically that's early for them.

I wish I had some way to filter my emails so that I wouldn't get excited for new messages only to find some invitation to some event I've never heard of.

I'm on some university listservs, and those are heart-stopping.

I'm on some university listservs, and those are heart-stopping.

Totally agree with this and what ReallyNiceGuy said above. I was thinking of inseatd of avoiding my email just have it go off on my phone when I get something ( I don't currently have my university email hooked into my phone other than if I go on the browser to access it). Then I decided that if I did that, I would be more anxious because my phone would buzz all the time due to conference planning committees and all of the listservs I am on. So I decided that just checking at certain times is best. However, when I see all the unread messages, I always HOPE something is buried there ha

I believe Harvard sent out acceptances today. A prospective student who had been in touch with me during the process was notified today.

Hm. I would be very interested to know whether this notification came from a POI excited to inform their prospective student or if this was part of Harvard's mass admissions. 

Santa Barbara update: Their office told me 'no final decisions yet, but letters should start going out next week.'

I have a friend that already has a fellowship offer from there. Got it early last week just an FYI.

Anyone else apply to UCSD? Just wondering....

I did.

I spoke with one of the heads of the Chinese History department via phone on January 20. At that time, he seemed to think it would be mid- to late-February before decisions were finalized.