Fall 2014 Applicants

CrazyCatLady80

You should be careful about over estimating grad cafe's influence in the pool.  We make 35ish officers a year and less than 25% show up on the results board and even less in the forums.

Yes -- about one third of my department's acceptances last year showed up on the Results board.

Edited by Katzenmusik

Mine was even less than that -- in the year I applied only two people claimed acceptances in my program (one was me, and the other person went elsewhere or declined their offer).  My cohort numbered nearly 20.  It really depends on a number of factors, but I wouldn't rely on the results board for anything more than indicators of general activity.

After you get accepted to a school, what is the first thing that you should do if funding was not mentioned in the acceptance letter? Contact your POI? Relax because the funding will most likely be announced later? Contact the DGS? Drink some Tequila? 

Edited by Zephyr99

Up to you whether you relax and wait for more info, but from the moment you're given an offer the program is usually gunning to have you accept, so you shouldn't feel bad about contacting them.

Usually the DGS will know the most about funding in a given year but I'm sure you could also ask your POI if you're more comfortable reaching out to him or her (though s/he may just wind up directing you back to the DGS, or asking the DGS him/herself). 

Edited by czesc

In past years they've also had a bunch of people not yet admitted travel to NYU for 2 days of cattle call interviews.  It's the most infamous process in all of history grad school admitting.  If they've done away with it good ridden, I'm just skeptical.

I know from people in the NYU dept that they invite their preliminary candidates for a prospective student weekend in February. That's been the official policy, but I suppose always could have changed.

In the past, no.  That's one reason the process was so weird.  They would invite people to campus who they hadn't admitted, interview them there, and than they would admit a slate of people, some who had gone to the weekend, and some who hadn't.  And they informed very late.

I understand all schools have their own system, but it doesn't make sense that a school wouldn't make all offers at once.

I imagine most people who receive an offer would likely wait until late March / early April before accepting, right?

Unrelated question:

How do schools try to sell themselves to students to whom they've offered a position?

This time i'm very skeptical of the NYU result.  Without the mad interview process they've done the last several years?

Just wanted to confirm that I was indeed accepted into NYU's history program—after Skype and phone interviews last month. 

I was also accepted into NYU's history program with a concentration in Atlantic World after a Skype interview about two weeks ago. I also have an upcoming interview with UPenn. 

Just wanted to confirm that I was indeed accepted into NYU's history program—after Skype and phone interviews last month. 

First off congratulations! Second, what is your proposed field?