Fall 2014 Applicants

CrazyCatLady80

There will be exceptions but nearly all of this will happen business days.  You have to remember even if the email says it's coming from the DGS, it's likely being sent finally by a department admin person.  Academics may work 7 days a week, but the office ladies most certainly don't.

Edited by New England Nat

There will be exceptions but nearly all of this will happen business days. You have to remember even if the email says it's coming from the DGS, it's likely being sent finally by a department admin person. Academics may work 7 days a week, but the office ladies most certainly don't.

This is mostly true...after thinking about it more, some admissions offices open Saturday mornings (I worked in one), and one office worker was always in. This would make sense that a few results might come through but not many...example: duke acceptances have been coming in this AM

And... No letter from Duke for me...another rejection along with no letter from OSU?? Dunno... Sigh. I'm just gonna assume the worst.

No reason to assume the worst yet! Schools make offers across weeks not all in the same day! Different funding situations and professors allow for a range of times notifications are sent. It is SO early in application season...no need to feel that way!

Ugh, I'm super jealous of all you history folk.  I applied across a couple of departments, and most of them aren't going to get back to me until late Feb-mid March.  Even my few history programs aren't going to get back until mid/late February.  I want to knowwwwww!  Congratulations to all of you accepted students!

Ugh, I'm super jealous of all you history folk.  I applied across a couple of departments, and most of them aren't going to get back to me until late Feb-mid March.  Even my few history programs aren't going to get back until mid/late February.  I want to knowwwwww!  Congratulations to all of you accepted students!

Most of us haven't heard anything and won't until mid-late feb and into march so we are in the same boat!

I'm freaked out by the Berkeley acceptance from yesterday. Please COME ON HERE NOW AND EXPLAIN YOURSELF lol

Also i have heartburn and insomnia and yes these are mostly caused by grad app wait.

Also I'm figuring less than 10% of people who get admitted actually report that on the results page...so I'm figuring tons more duke and berkeley people have been admitted.

Duke seems to be reporting around the same time they were last years...if other schools stick to about the same time...we could be in for a big week next week! I agree though probably not good news for those that applied to Duke who have not heard..though everyone might not accept the offers so there is a slim chance. Looking forward to keeping up with all of your apps! keep positive (and productive if you can!)

There will be exceptions but nearly all of this will happen business days.  You have to remember even if the email says it's coming from the DGS, it's likely being sent finally by a department admin person.  Academics may work 7 days a week, but the office ladies most certainly don't.

I have to say I'm not comfortable with the reference to "office ladies" here. In two ways...the "ladies" bit (sexist) and the idea that academics (professional, upper class elite types) do work while the others just clock off and go to some other place.

I have to say I'm not comfortable with the reference to "office ladies" here. In two ways...the "ladies" bit (sexist) and the idea that academics (professional, upper class elite types) do work while the others just clock off and go to some other place.

I also had a problem with this for the "ladies" part; however,  it is true that the office workers do not do work on the weekends. They rarely check email on weekends because they have all of the information accessible in the office (files and form letters saved to office computers) as well as interactions with the DGS. It is less likely that they will be doing work on weekends from home.

I'm freaked out by the Berkeley acceptance from yesterday. Please COME ON HERE NOW AND EXPLAIN YOURSELF lol

Also i have heartburn and insomnia and yes these are mostly caused by grad app wait.

Also I'm figuring less than 10% of people who get admitted actually report that on the results page...so I'm figuring tons more duke and berkeley people have been admitted.

I wouldn't be freaked out by this admit because it is singular. The time to worry more is when there is a slew of results up, like Duke today....in my opinion at least.

I'm not quite sure that was the implication, nor the point. 

I think she's cautioning you to remember that although the DGS might come in on a Saturday to get her own work done, anything administrative or office related is getting done Monday through Friday, 8am to 5pm. It's not a matter of someone working harder than someone else; academic schedules are more flexible.

Hi, I'm the one who posted the Berkeley admit yesterday.  It was just an informal email from my prospective supervisor saying that the committee had just accepted me.  I have not received an official offer and the status on the website has not changed, though from what my POI said I believe that will be coming next week.  Thus, I really wouldn't worry!  I think my POI just happened to be in his office late on a Friday afternoon and wanted to give me the news right away, but I imagine the bulk of the offers will be made next week.  If you have any questions about it I'd be happy to answer :)

Hi, I'm the one who posted the Berkeley admit yesterday. It was just an informal email from my prospective supervisor saying that the committee had just accepted me. I have not received an official offer and the status on the website has not changed, though from what my POI said I believe that will be coming next week. Thus, I really wouldn't worry! I think my POI just happened to be in his office late on a Friday afternoon and wanted to give me the news right away, but I imagine the bulk of the offers will be made next week. If you have any questions about it I'd be happy to answer :)

Sent you a PM! Thanks for your willingness to share, and congrats!

Edited by catsandscarves

I'm not quite sure that was the implication, nor the point. 

I think she's cautioning you to remember that although the DGS might come in on a Saturday to get her own work done, anything administrative or office related is getting done Monday through Friday, 8am to 5pm. It's not a matter of someone working harder than someone else; academic schedules are more flexible.

Look, the reference to office "ladies" as far as I'm concerned, harks back to a different era and I found it offensive. Perhaps the other bit was not intended to make the point I suggested. That's ok. But referring to administrative staff as office "ladies" is pretty clearly not ok.

Look, the reference to office "ladies" as far as I'm concerned, harks back to a different era and I found it offensive. Perhaps the other bit was not intended to make the point I suggested. That's ok. But referring to administrative staff as office "ladies" is pretty clearly not ok.

Plus administrative staff is not limited to women! There is a man in our office who I and other grad students would be lost without. /twocents