Fall 2014 Applicants

CrazyCatLady80

djp2 is exactly right re: Harvard. We got interview requests the same day, and both of them were clearly informal, ie, not part of the process the way they are at Penn. So I don't think that not being asked for an interview should be taken to indicate anything either way.

Edited by levoyous

My interview (which I forgot to upload to the results page) was very informal, and my POI indicated that professors have no input with the adcom beyond ranking the candidates in their field and submitting that list for consideration. The interviews aren't formally conducted by the adcom but are arranged at each professor's individual initiative. Or at least that's the impression I got. So your POI could have chosen not to conduct interviews for whatever reason. I wouldn't presume that if you haven't gotten an interview you're out of the running.

The fact that professors at Harvard apparently are only able to rank candidates prompts me to wonder how this works across schools. Does the admissions committee typically make decisions with minimal input from other professors? How many professors are on the committee? How does this affect a given professor's ability to advocate for any given candidate?

My sense is that applicants sometimes stand a better chance if their POI is on the adcom in a given year (and potentially if their POI is chair or DGS, depending on how department structures work).

That said, many departments also have set quotas for specific fields based on rotating priorities, funding, who accepted offers the previous year, etc., which vastly constrain the power of any individual professor's advocacy.

tl;dr it's a very different process across schools and across cycles. Not many hard and fast rules to go by in this game.

Edited by czesc

Seconding what czesc said.  A lot of this is opaque.  I know there is a temptation to try and get all the information possible at this stage in the process but really there is nothing you can do at this point with that kind of information.

What role does an interview play in the admissions process at Penn?

From reading things earlier in this thread, it seems that they are a part of the process with those that they are seriously considering giving offers to. Though I went back and looked at last years' thread and some were rejected after the interview still.

Edited by catsandscarves

Some professors will talk about an individual application, but only vaguely and without much detail.  We have no role in the adcom, but a big role in reaching out to admitted students.  This is compensated by the department by giving us beer while we're being social with the perspective students.

Now there are 3 Michigan State rejections (via postal service) up! I rushed to my mailbox today but there was nothing. I'm not sure if that is good or bad.

Likely good! I did the same and nothing on my end.

I noticed something on the Results board from UT-Austin. Has anybody else heard anything from them?

I haven't heard anything either. It's early!

Does anyone have any particular insight on Berkeley? Based on what I've seen in the forums and results search, I'm starting to think that not having heard from them in any capacity means I'm out of the running. Does anyone know more about their decision process, whether they interview everyone they're strongly considering, etc.?

Does anyone have any particular insight on Berkeley? Based on what I've seen in the forums and results search, I'm starting to think that not having heard from them in any capacity means I'm out of the running. Does anyone know more about their decision process, whether they interview everyone they're strongly considering, etc.?

Poofysheep,

I have absolutely no inside information, so my guess is as good as yours. However, judging by the last few cycles, I'm guessing that if we haven't heard anything by now our chances are fairly slim. That's not to say that there isn't any hope, but I worry the window is open just enough to make the rejection all the worse.

Poofysheep,

I have absolutely no inside information, so my guess is as good as yours. However, judging by the last few cycles, I'm guessing that if we haven't heard anything by now our chances are fairly slim. That's not to say that there isn't any hope, but I worry the window is open just enough to make the rejection all the worse.

Haha yeah, I think you're right. I'm going to just let this one go and focus my hopes on the others!

Haha yeah, I think you're right. I'm going to just let this one go and focus my hopes on the others!

I really don't think that is the case....3 people have heard from them through an informal email from their POI. They will surely be making more than 3 offers (and there might be a few other emails that have not been reported on here).

It depends if your POI wants to wait until the graduate division has approved it (aka it is official) or not. I think that We all just need to wait for official news. There was a post on here that anyone that had not heard from Penn was out and a week later, I got a call to set up an interview.

It is a process! Give it time while keeping in mind how competitive the process is.

Edited by catsandscarves

You should be careful about over estimating grad cafe's influence in the pool.  We make 35ish officers a year and less than 25% show up on the results board and even less in the forums.

Yeah, I agree so it might be the case that they could be done sending out informal emails and all acceptances have been notified....I was just suggesting that it might not be over yet...especially since one of the Berekely admits said that they would be making most of their offers in Feb.