Fall 2014 Applicants

CrazyCatLady80

Hey,

I also applied to NYU History, got an "unofficial" interview with DGS on 8 Jan but no official or unofficial notifications about admissions. I don't know how the process works, but in the department's web page, it says that 30 Jan 12.30- admissions meeting. Does anyone know what happens after the department makes the decisions, do the applications of the nominated applicants go to GSAS for final decisions?

And all the three students who got the good news, is it officially declared somewhere like web page (apply embark) or did your future advisors send you an email? I am happy for you, I hope I will be happy for myself soon, too. =\

HI Sknma,

Basically, I got an e-mail with one of the four profs I did an interview with saying that I was being offered admission with  "very strong financial backing." Unfortunately, I won't know any particulars until the official offer package comes by Feb. 14th. When I interviewed, they said the average cohort size was between 6-12, but I know for my field (Atlantic World) they only offer one or maybe two admissions. Hope this helps and you  get some news soon!

HI Sknma,

Basically, I got an e-mail with one of the four profs I did an interview with saying that I was being offered admission with "very strong financial backing." Unfortunately, I won't know any particulars until the official offer package comes by Feb. 14th. When I interviewed, they said the average cohort size was between 6-12, but I know for my field (Atlantic World) they only offer one or maybe two admissions. Hope this helps and you get some news soon!

Hi loc2,

Thanks for the reply and congrats!

You had an interview w/ four prof.s present?? Wow, mine was very informal then. Was the prof. who emailed you the one you want to work with? My POI is apparently very discreet or indifferent =) I am happy that you already know the good news but i am also happy that it is not the official package-yet that i can still have hope for myself =)

Hi loc2,

Thanks for the reply and congrats!

You had an interview w/ four prof.s present?? Wow, mine was very informal then. Was the prof. who emailed you the one you want to work with? My POI is apparently very discreet or indifferent =) I am happy that you already know the good news but i am also happy that it is not the official package-yet that i can still have hope for myself =)

Yeah It was definitely a bit overwhelming for a first interview. I would definitely still keep up hope! I get the impression that each field operates really independently from each other, so they likely have a completely different process. Good Luck!

I'm curious to know if Penn is still interviewing - if they are, that might mean we have a longer wait. They told me it was all happening on two days last week.

They told me that they were doing some interviews February 7 so this Friday. They said to expect to hear back later this month.

NYU applicants, tomorrow looks like the big day. DGS meets GSAS at 10 am (which makes it 4 pm my time in the middle of europe). I am so anxious that my brain doesn't know how to react.

NYU applicants, tomorrow looks like the big day. DGS meets GSAS at 10 am (which makes it 4 pm my time in the middle of europe). I am so anxious that my brain doesn't know how to react.

Ugh! I am starting to feel like this every day since we never really know when we are going to get news! I am still being fairly productive but just absolutely anxious! Probably doesn't help that this term I am not on a very rigorous schedule; I have a lot of work do to but only Spanish 10-11AM MWF and class 6-8 Tuesdays so I have a lot of time to just be by myself and think about it!

I didn't apply to Yale but watching the Yale acceptances pop up is entertaining.

Congratulations!

watching them with sadness ha! Likely means I'm out if I haven't received anything.

Congrats to those admits though! How awesome!

Edited by catsandscarves

Perhaps you could stubbornly hold out hope until you receive a definitive "yes" or "no?!" 

You never know after all!

I'm sure you'll be fine. Good luck!

haha that is true, but I bet that most people will take a Yale offer...they could be sending some out tomorrow too! who knows! it ain't over til it's over but I sure wish they would just send out definitive news ha!

I think it's likely that we'll see another batch from Yale tomorrow (they sent out acceptances over two days, on the 5th and 6th, last year).  After that though, I think we have to write it off.

I feel sick.

I think it's likely that we'll see another batch from Yale tomorrow (they sent out acceptances over two days, on the 5th and 6th, last year).  After that though, I think we have to write it off.

I feel sick.

We'll see how it goes. I think that looking at the fact that they did it over 2 days last year might mean nothing. Just depends on how the DGS works...I sure hope you are right though.