Fall 2014 Applicants

CrazyCatLady80

I wouldn't worry too much about your GPA even converted.  The professors will know you come from a non-US school.

Thank you. What would you say are some schools that would match my interests? And how do you approach faculty members? You just e-mail them saying that you have an interest in their field or?

I would start by looking at some recent books in your field and seeing where people teach.  Avoid schools with history departments ranked lower than 40 on the respected lists of history departments.  As for writing professors just email them, apologize for taking their time, say what about their work that interests you and what sort of work you do.  And don't be offended if they don't answer you they may be on leave.

Can I just say that it is absolutely *insane* that anyone thinks that a 3.8 GPA isn't a good GPA?

Pretty sure crazycatlady was referring to her MA GPA and yeah, it's viewed differently than an undergrad GPA, & you should aim to get as close to perfect as you reasonably can.

my MA gpa was like a 3.88 and one of my recommenders called it a liability

Don't freak me out even more than I already am.  :unsure: I do have the feeling will resolve itself. I am trying to get the article that got a B published, which I am hoping will cancel out that grade. 

I have nothing constructive to offer, I just wanted to note that I took a look at this board, saw this thread and realized "S*&% I have to start putting my applications together AGAIN (I'm in the first of a MA program)- and SOON." (I don't mean tomorrow; I just mean this semester will be over in no time, then the summer will fly by due to continued language training and then BAM- fall term.)

So thanks for that. HA!

My GPA isn't that great (going to be somewhere between a 3.7 and 3.8), because I've had a lot of problems with my advisor (long story - PM if you want all the details).

Your GPA is very good. 

my MA gpa was like a 3.88 and one of my recommenders called it a liability

That's pretty insane as well. Was this your overall GPA or GPA in history classes? Regardless, it's a high GPA, and the structure of most undergrad classes rarely translates to graduate school. Nearly every grad program mentions on their website that an emphasis is put on your GPA in classes relevant to your major and your overall GPA in your last two years of undergrad. In terms of grades, these are much more important than your overall GPA. Even then, grades are hardly the most important factor on your application. 

Edited by mcb27

Your GPA is very good. 

Thank you....I need all the positive comments I can get these days. :)  Still upset over the entire situation, but I have a battle plan and hoping everything will work out for the best as far as that topic goes. 

That's pretty insane as well. Was this your overall GPA or GPA in history classes? Regardless, it's a high GPA, and the structure of most undergrad classes rarely translates to graduate school. Nearly every grad program mentions on their website that an emphasis is put on your GPA in classes relevant to your major and your overall GPA in your last two years of undergrad. In terms of grades, these are much more important than your overall GPA. Even then, grades are hardly the most important factor on your application. 

This was my GPA for my Master's program. 3 A-s and one horrible, ugly B+ in an independent study.

I suppose it's worth noting that even with my (relatively) low MA GPA all my advisors, including the teacher who gave me the B+, encouraged me to apply to PHD programs (one of which has accepted me so far!) and wrote me recommendations. So, a (again, relatively) low GPA is not a deal breaker by any means, especially if you have an especially strong writing sample or glowing recommendations to make up for it. The expectations are just far higher in graduate school and you're expected to show that high level history classes do not phase you and that you can succeed under considerable academic pressure.

I would say anything above 3.8 is fine. Once you hit the 3.7 mark, that might be a problem. If everything goes according to plan, my GPA will be 3.76. I earned two B+s my very first two semesters in grad school. I worked full time and couldn't dedicate myself to my studies. Everything else is As and A-s, except for this B. The reason why I got the grade is very unclear and has changed over time. I asked the professor if I could do a rewrite. He didn't say yes or no. Since I am revising it for publication (yes...it is probably being published despite getting a low grade....figure that one out), I am just going to give him a copy. I have to walk a tightrope here, because he might be one of my letter writers.

Hi!

You should have at least a 3.5 GPA to get into a program worth attending.  Your GPA should probably be even higher if you're coming from a master's program because you're only taking classes in your field.  You might want to reconsider your plans if you have anything less than that.

A 3.5 is almost a must for your MAJOR GPA but not for overall. Good programs are not going to turn you down because you started out as a Pre-Med (or Engineering) major and did poorly in Chemistry or Calculus, even though those grades will bring down your GPA. 

In terms of grad school/MA GPA, I would say anything under a 3.7 is going to keep you from most good programs.

She said it was her M.A. GPA. That's a grad school GPA.

On the topic GPA, I'm coming straight from undergrad, and my major GPA is like a 3.9 or higher (one stinkin' B+ threw me off amongst otherwise all A's), and while I'll graduate with what I assume will be a 3.7 (university honours and highest honors) if you factor in grades from transfer institutions (there are 2), it is going to be way lower because at one university I was told I had to take F's rather than drop classes when I had to leave school to take care of my grandma or else get stuck repaying all of my financial aid. 16 credits that semester, naturally. Oh and even from transfer intitutions, still only A's in history. Anyway, it's way in the past, and I know my grades are good, so I don't feel the need to overexplain in a personal statement, but any thoughts on whether or not that will be a problem?

Shouldn't be a problem.  Think about the big picture.  At some of these schools, you are putting your application up against 300 others.  Most applicants are going to have very high GPAs.  While a very low GPA will probably kill your chances, its generally not your GPA that's going to make you standout.  I'm sure there are many people out there that got a 4.0 in their MA program that got rejected from schools.  On the other hand, I'm sure there are some people out there that got accepted to schools with lower than a 3.7 undergrad GPA.   

On the topic GPA, I'm coming straight from undergrad, and my major GPA is like a 3.9 or higher (one stinkin' B+ threw me off amongst otherwise all A's), and while I'll graduate with what I assume will be a 3.7 (university honours and highest honors) if you factor in grades from transfer institutions (there are 2), it is going to be way lower because at one university I was told I had to take F's rather than drop classes when I had to leave school to take care of my grandma or else get stuck repaying all of my financial aid. 16 credits that semester, naturally. Oh and even from transfer intitutions, still only A's in history. Anyway, it's way in the past, and I know my grades are good, so I don't feel the need to overexplain in a personal statement, but any thoughts on whether or not that will be a problem?

You can have a very quick explanation about those particular grades. But they generally won't look at transfer grades at all... they seem to focus primarily on what you did the last couple of years. You DO have to submit your transcripts but what they will look at is your history grades, primarily.

I have a 3.95 UG GPA (with a 4.0 in History classes), but only a 3.67 MA GPA (with all my coursework in American Studies, rather than history). I pursued the MA on a part-time basis with an intention to diversify in the humanities, not to pursue history, and the fact I was doing graduate-level work in fields (art, religion) I had little or no UG exposure to while working full-time resulted in two B+s and a bevy of A-s. None of them were in history, but the overall GPA is well into what folks are saying is the trouble range. Does that mean I should go out of my way to explain my motivation for pursuing the MA and the reason for my lower grades in my personal statement?

Edited by hdunlop

Is it in a range that can be forgiven with good excuses?

Along similar lines, my best overall writing sample is a portion of my MA thesis, but it's not primary source-centric because it was American Studies. Is my best course to revise it to be more of a traditional history paper, or to use an undergrad paper...or to do something entirely new altogether? The latter seems like a lot of work but I'm up for it if that's what it takes.

One more question as I review the Fall2013 thread...how much trouble am I in because I went to Nowhere U (actually a small Midwestern liberal arts school) for undergrad and even my MA recommenders probably wouldn't be considered"superstars"?

As I mentioned in another thread, I got a couple rejections this year, in part because I didn't do everything I could on my application, and in part for other reasons I still need to understand. I'm determined to resolve both issues...thanks!

Edited by hdunlop

This was my GPA for my Master's program. 3 A-s and one horrible, ugly B+ in an independent study.

Ok, that makes sense. I thought you were referring to your undergrad GPA. 

Is it in a range that can be forgiven with good excuses?

Along similar lines, my best overall writing sample is a portion of my MA thesis, but it's not primary source-centric because it was American Studies. Is my best course to revise it to be more of a traditional history paper, or to use an undergrad paper...or to do something entirely new altogether? The latter seems like a lot of work but I'm up for it if that's what it takes.

One more question as I review the Fall2013 thread...how much trouble am I in because I went to Nowhere U (actually a small Midwestern liberal arts school) for undergrad and even my MA recommenders probably wouldn't be considered"superstars"?

School prestige is not so important. As always, things differ by school. It's possible to get some admissions people who are prejudiced towards big name schools, but they're probably unlikely to admit it in public. I also went to a small, undistinguished midwestern liberal arts school for undergrad and got into a few solid programs -- and without the benefit of an MA. On the other hand, it is theoretically helpful to have recommenders/advisors who know people at your applying university, but far from necessary or determinative.

It's important that your writing sample demonstrates an ability to work with primary sources -- and in other languages if that's applicable to your research. Since your writing sample is so important, I would definitely suggest reworking it in some way or finding another paper.

I've heard through the grapevine that one of the top students in our program didn't get into a PhD program. I believe she has a 4.0, ok GREs, presented at five or six conferences, and published an article in a major journal. Of course, I have no idea what her letters are like  - she has had serious interpersonal relationship problems with her fellow grad students. I don't know if that came out in her letters, but I know she is very academically strong. Anyway, it has gotten me all worried about next year. 

I definitely understand being worried by that, but there are so many factors that A. you don't know about in her application and B. that go into the decision making process that you really can only take student to student comparisons so far, you know? It's entirely possible that had she applied to the same array of schools last year she would have gotten into one or more. It's also possible that she did not have great relationships with her recommenders so her letters weren't as glowing as yours will surely be.

I did my MA at an institution not known for getting people into Ivy League schools. One of the top students in my program applied to almost only Ivy League schools and no institutions known (in the department) for accepting our students. Thus, she was roundly rejected despite being in a trendy field and having great grades and an excellent thesis. All you can do is do your best, work your hardest and rely a little on luck.