Fall 2014 Applicants

CrazyCatLady80

A curiosity question for all of you!

My (undergraduate) adviser and I have recently discussed and decided that for me to achieve my career goals, I need to get a PhD. My problem? I have absolutely no idea what I should be getting it in.

I'm starting a dual Master's in Archives and History in the Fall. It's a 3 year program and I already have an idea for my thesis (I'm planning on taking one exam and doing one thesis): How open access to archives helps promote human rights, using examples from the National Declassification Center, the Stasi Archives and most recently, a Hungarian decision to destroy records from their secret police.

My goal is to become a human rights archivist. I want to work in a place like the UN, Human Rights Watch, Amnesty International, National Institute of Peace, National Endowment for Democracy...etc. I would say smaller ones, but the smaller NGOs tend to not have archives.

So, there in lies my question. Archives PhD's are not common at all and I'm not sure a History program would be the best course. Is there some sort of "Human Rights" interdisciplinary PhD that I could do? I know there are programs in Europe and the UK. If History is the best course, would it be better to stick to a region (say Eastern Europe) and choose a school (or stay at Maryland) based on the region and not their focus on human rights?

I am at a loss. :/

A curiosity question for all of you!

My (undergraduate) adviser and I have recently discussed and decided that for me to achieve my career goals, I need to get a PhD. My problem? I have absolutely no idea what I should be getting it in.

I'm starting a dual Master's in Archives and History in the Fall. It's a 3 year program and I already have an idea for my thesis (I'm planning on taking one exam and doing one thesis): How open access to archives helps promote human rights, using examples from the National Declassification Center, the Stasi Archives and most recently, a Hungarian decision to destroy records from their secret police.

My goal is to become a human rights archivist. I want to work in a place like the UN, Human Rights Watch, Amnesty International, National Institute of Peace, National Endowment for Democracy...etc. I would say smaller ones, but the smaller NGOs tend to not have archives.

So, there in lies my question. Archives PhD's are not common at all and I'm not sure a History program would be the best course. Is there some sort of "Human Rights" interdisciplinary PhD that I could do? I know there are programs in Europe and the UK. If History is the best course, would it be better to stick to a region (say Eastern Europe) and choose a school (or stay at Maryland) based on the region and not their focus on human rights?

I am at a loss. :/

Why don't you wait a year into your program & see how you feel about it then? You can ask the opinions of your new advisors who have experience with various sorts of archives (& the additional degrees one might need to specialize in them). And perhaps reach out to archivists who already work in these organizations and see what their path was? Or try to gain an internship in one of these places and get the inside scoop. You might not even need the additional degree. 

annieca,  I've been watching you for the past year or so.  I think you should try, try, TRY to take things one day at a time.  I know you like to plan a lot and do it carefully so things go in your way.   At least to the best of your ability.

What i can tell you from my own experience of having just finished my first year of PhD (with a MA in hand), this kind of attitude can be troublesome for everyone around you.  You have three years.  Your professors are hardly not thinking that far ahead; they would like you to spend your first year settling in before making any big decisions like whether or not to do your thesis and which fields you'd like to take your exams in.  If your professors are good, they will take things one day at a time and not quite go into deep about your thesis, exam, or future plans until it's time.  So for PhD, that isn't going to happen until after your second year!  I learned the hard, hard way and I was very lucky to have a patient adviser who stood her ground while I attempted to push ahead when it wasn't necessary (like thinking about a deadline for a summer fellowship when it wasn't due for another two months!).

Yes, graduate school requires you to be independent but there is a delicate balance between being proactive and marching in step with your (wise) adviser/professors.  You need to try to concentrate what's in front of you- your first year of graduate school including adjustment, meeting new people, finding a routine, etc- and what's in periphery will come to the forefront sooner or later for you to deal with.

I hope you don't take this personally but this is for everyone on this board too.  Doing these things will make you a better colleague and advisee.

@TMP -

Yep, I'm a planner. Guilty. I've been pre-planning my life four or so years ahead for as long as I can remember. And I do know I've got to take it slow, that I need to figure out just how much I enjoy my Masters' programs and let myself just enjoy the experience. That being said, the decision to do a thesis versus an exam is one I'm talking about now because of planning out classes. I always had idea (and supported by my department that announces classes for the next 2 years at one time), that careful planning is the way to go to graduate on time. Careful planning helped me graduate from undergraduate in 3 years. And since my Masters' are unfunded, well, careful planning is essential. 

I am not trying to say that no one else is a careful planner, or that not having your entirety of your Master's planned out is a bad thing. This is just me.

The funding is the biggest issue for why I am questioning PhDs *now*. If I wanted to stay at Maryland, I could potentially get funding my second year of grad school which would save a load on...everything. I am scared with the loan rates going up and staring at $700 a month rent, that I am looking ahead for money in any way I can.

I appreciate all your advice, everyone! You have been a great help to me throughout all of these processes. :)

After having to hunt down the good people at Sussex to find out about my scholarship status, I finally received an answer. No funding.

So, I'm back for round two Fall 2014 and I've decided to concentrate on US schools this time. I'll settle for research trips or a nice post-doc in the UK. :-) I've got about six schools in mind, but I'll reveal those as app season draws near. I decided to take my time and finish my MA thesis this fall while I find a job to hold me over.

@oseirus - Nice to see you hanging around again!

trr -

Sorry to hear about the no-finding thing. :( But at least you know where you want to focus your attention on now. Was the process at least a little helpful in deciding what you want/need/would like?

trr -

Sorry to hear about the no-finding thing. :( But at least you know where you want to focus your attention on now. Was the process at least a little helpful in deciding what you want/need/would like?

Thanks, annieca. Yes! The process was very helpful. I learned more than I thought I would about ALL facets of applying for a PhD program. I also understand now why so many give up. I'm completely exhausted. But I know what I want, what I must do to get there, and where I should be focusing my efforts. This board was a tremendous help, too. 

I wish you luck in your new program! But I hope you hang around to see us all through the next app seasons  :)

Haha, you guys are addicting. I can't leave you now! 

Although, things are definitely falling into place. I have a job interview for a job that would give me about $700 a month after rent, an apartment and two potential roommates so if the first doesn't work out, the second one might. I really would love to do a fist bump for the fact of finding good rent. I'm 3 miles from campus, (also on the shuttle route), next door to the Metro (also on shuttle), 2 bed in the DC Metro area...and I will be paying less for rent a month than my sister does for a 1 bed in Oregon. Oh, and there are two pools and a nice looking gym!

How goes everyone's summers?

• 4 weeks later...

I'm so happy that this forum exists! mini-graphics-hearts-625002.gif I wish I had come across it sooner.

I'm applying to a growing number of MA & MA-->PhD programs (see below) to hopefully study more on the History of the American South.

As of yet I'm not entirely sure what my concentrations will be within the field, although I know I'd like to branch out from my political history background.

The entire application process terrifies me (I'm already having a hard time sleeping), but I can't picture myself doing anything else, so I need to make it happen!

Thankfully, taking it day by day and having started this process as soon as the summer started, I know I'll have everything done on time which helps me relax a little.

Anyone else crazy about the South? Or is it just me...?

Good luck everyone! 

11.gif

Annieca, great that you are settling in! I'm with TMP here, let life happen and let it surprise you! You'll see that once you start your MA you'll have plenty of time to think ahead and discover academic paths towards your interests. 

Calhoun&Caffeine, have you looked at Emory? I think there is a "special" fellowship to those studying the South. I THINK.

To the rest of you applying: all the best in this process! As TRR said, it is exhausting. 

I am currently visiting my parents and doing NOTHING before starting in mid-Aug. In 10 days I am moving to the States! Agggghhh!!!

See you around!

Hello all I have a strong gpa (3.92), lor's, and writing sample, but scored sort of average on the gre's with a 164 verbal, 155 quantitative, and  a 5.0 on writing. Is this gre score something I should worry about? I'm looking at programs in environmental history, french colonial history (mostly haiti) and genocide studies at McGill, Delaware, WashU, Universite Laval, and Penn State (from where I graduated). I kinda of need to get funding to be able to attend. 

Funding won't hinge on GRE scores. Much like a high GPA, great numbers are unlikely to provide much of an advantage, though particularly low ones certainly could hurt you. That being said, your scores look fine, I think the overall affect of these stats on your chances for admission and funding are relatively neutral. The quality and clarity of your LORs, writing sample and SOP are most definitely the keys to getting admissions/funding decisions to swing in your favor.

Additionally, if it eases your mind, I know several people with GRE scores below yours who have received admission/funding offers from top twenty-five programs.

Not sure how you plan to fit these subject areas together in your SOP, but they seem kind of broad and disparate to me? Even if you can find faculty focusing on all three in the places you're applying, you don't want to come off too unfocused. I haven't confirmed this, but reassessing my application from last year I have the feeling that saying I was interested in modern European history as a whole and then naming potential projects in two somewhat different areas of the field may have been fatally unspecific for some adcoms - even though it came off as more focused than the fields you've listed here.

Thanks for the responses! Czesc, I was thinking that I'd apply to programs separately with one of those three interests. For example I could apply to Delaware for environmental hist only, and then mcgill for french colonial. Is this a good idea?

Edited by kenningsa

I considered doing that when I applied, but the problem was that I worried I might also have to ask my recommenders to prepare separate letters for each school, in the event they planned to reference my interests - otherwise a mismatch might make it look like I wasn't really on the same page as them. And not only would that have placed more of a burden on them, it ran the risk of making my recommenders think I wasn't sure where my true interests would lie, as well - meaning they might take me less seriously and be less inclined to provide a (good) recommendation when I approached them. 

In retrospect, I wonder if these concerns were overwrought (in which case I'm going to feel pretty stupid about failing to increase my chances of admission at more schools) but I've seen others note that one should be wary of applying to schools with completely tailored interests for similar reasons.

Thanks for the responses! Czesc, I was thinking that I'd apply to programs separately with one of those three interests. For example I could apply to Delaware for environmental hist only, and then mcgill for french colonial. Is this a good idea?

I'm inclined to agree that applying to different schools for totally different programs can be problematic--from the standpoint of clarity--both for you and those writing your LORs. (For your sake, make it easy on them: I once had a referent write an effusive LOR on my behalf for a scholarship, only to identify me as an Americanist-yikes, not even close). That being said, colonial and environmental history can be combined effectively through the nascent field of "Atlantic history." If you haven't read it, J.R. McNeill's Mosquito Empires is a great example of how these seemingly disparate subfields can be merged seamlessly.  Situating yourself as an Atlantic historian may be the way to go; it would certainly make your interests seem more coherent and focused to adcomms.  Just a thought.

My thought would be that either genocide or environment could be combined with French colonial history in a way that makes sense (though genocide might be the harder one here without making some controversial claims off the bat!) but admitting an interest in all three at once might be too much.

p.s. When are historians going to stop calling Atlantic history "nascent"? It's been around since the 50s and popular since the 80s! (not at all a dig at you, jamc8383, it seems to be a discipline-wide convention).

p.s. When are historians going to stop calling Atlantic history "nascent"? It's been around since the 50s and popular since the 80s! (not at all a dig at you, jamc8383, it seems to be a discipline-wide convention).

I only heard of it as such when I started applying to US schools. I hadn't heard of this subfield before, which doesn't mean it is not done here :)

Edited by Andean Pat

Well it's a really fun word to say.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh the sillyness. And here is where I feel embarrassed because I didn't even know what nascent meant until I just looked it up.

On the different themes issue I wonder if this is completely different for HiLS (History and Library Science) students than it is for straight History? When I applied to programs I was not just applying to HiLS but also Public Humanities and some other ones that had different names. I suppose history is history is history (except when it isn't). It reminds me of the divide between my fellow historians and my fellow archivists. We pick a school based on the specialization, yes, but to a lesser extent. Archives is still a huge specialization - do you want to do film archives, music, work on processing, digitization, MARC/EAD/DACS records? But I digress.

I think the best way forward is one where your professors and other rec letter writers recognize your strengths as a historian and don't focus on the specific subfield. Correct me if I'm totally off base here, but my recommenders wrote more about my research in generalized terms than ever getting into the specifics of what I actually researched.

I think the best way forward is one where your professors and other rec letter writers recognize your strengths as a historian and don't focus on the specific subfield. Correct me if I'm totally off base here, but my recommenders wrote more about my research in generalized terms than ever getting into the specifics of what I actually researched.

I definitely agree. As someone who is interested in cultural history revolving around media and race & gender studies, I tend to fall into a few different niche programs, which span from History to East Asian Languages & Cultures. LoRs are all about saying, "I like this person, and I think they will succeed, because x, y, and z." I feel like our SOP is more for where our research is going and the value of that research is judged by the application committee, but for quality of an applicant that can't be determined by writing sample or SOP, then LoR offers a bit of insight. Bonus points, if famous of if someone on the committee knows them. 

Speaking of SOP I feel so much better about this application cycle's version that while not finished at all I definitely know what I want to do 300% more than what I thought was specific last year.