Fall 2014 Applicants

CrazyCatLady80

I just finished the last of six applications and am feeling relieved and sick in equal measure.  There is no way this feeling is sustainable for the next two-three months, is there? How is everyone else doing?

All, I have a final draft of my writing sample. But I just never know if it is good enough. I know I've always had mechanical issues with writing, but I am strong on concepts and research skills. My other parts of my app are much better than the last time I applied (Fall 2012) - with the exception of my GPA which dropped a little due to said writing issues. 

I am freaking out because I don't have anyone to ask to read my paper- other than my spouse- and apps are due starting on the 1st. 

I just want to hand everything in and say fuck it, there's nothing else I can do now.

JAMC8383- I am totally freaking out right now. I just want to turn things in but then if people read it and they're like wow this sucks, hope you didn't turn this in...then what? You know?

I just don't know........

JAMC8383- I am totally freaking out right now. I just want to turn things in but then if people read it and they're like wow this sucks, hope you didn't turn this in...then what? You know?

I am in the process of sending out polite, "one-week-left" reminders to those doing my LORs and am attaching the final version of my SOP for reference.  Though, to your point, I am tempted to include a polite, humorous-but-totally-serious request that if they notice any minor errors in the document to please NOT let me know, since it has already been submitted.  To be fair, they've already seen and proofed previous versions, but I am determined to avoid the painful, after-the-fact "NOOOOOOOOO!" moment.  I've also resolved not to reference any of my submission materials in the interim period between applications and admission decisions, but I have so little willpower with these types of things.

I'm very thankful that I have coursework, grading, and a study abroad in January to distract me for the foreseeable future.

I could not imagine having a lot of time to worry about what's happening.

I wish you guys the best. Let me know how you handle it because if I strike out this round I might need to know how you did it this time next year.

All, I have a final draft of my writing sample. But I just never know if it is good enough. I know I've always had mechanical issues with writing, but I am strong on concepts and research skills. My other parts of my app are much better than the last time I applied (Fall 2012) - with the exception of my GPA which dropped a little due to said writing issues. 

I am freaking out because I don't have anyone to ask to read my paper- other than my spouse- and apps are due starting on the 1st. 

I just want to hand everything in and say fuck it, there's nothing else I can do now.

Some suggestions for scrubbing your writing sample.

1. Take a day or two (or three or four if you can stand it) in which you don't look at it or even think about it.
  2. When you return to it, print out copies of the draft for proof reading. Typos and other gremlins are good at hiding on computer screens.
  3. Read through copies of the draft looking for your specific mechanical issues--one read through for each issue. (For example, read through one for verb tenses, read through two for spelling, read through three for run on sentences, and so on.)
  4. When you've brushed up the draft after the previous step (using the same process), consider printing it out again and reading the writing sample backwards, word by word.
  5. Don't say "fuck it" because that is bad mojo. Yes, you are going to reach a point where you have to stop. When you do, tell yourself that you've done the best you can do under the circumstances.

HTH.

Woohoo! I've officially submitted all documents to all schools and paid the application fees!

After a grueling two years of researching, networking, and writing, the power now shifts to the adcomms.

I feel like I'm at tribal council.

Now the worst part comes: the wait.

A note to anyone worried about professors getting their letters in time: while all YOUR materials MUST be submitted by the deadline, most programs won't care if a letter of recommendation is a bit late. They know that this is something largely out of your control and likely won't hold it against you. In most cases the departmental staff spend weeks putting the files together for the faculty to read so if a letter is late the admissions committee might never even know about it. Feel free to remind people, repeatedly if necessary, but if it's the day of the deadline and your application is still missing a letter I wouldn't freak out.

ETA: (I stressed so hard over this when I was applying only to later realize that it almost gave myself a coronary for nothing.)

Edited by Bactrian

Fair point; I've likewise heard from several departments that there is a "grace period" for LORs which is comforting in some measure, but there's just something about seeing your application marked as "incomplete" that provokes a visceral panic response.

A note to anyone worried about professors getting their letters in time: while all YOUR materials MUST be submitted by the deadline, most programs won't care if a letter of recommendation is a bit late. They know that this is something largely out of your control and likely won't hold it against you. In most cases the departmental staff spend weeks putting the files together for the faculty to read so if a letter is late the admissions committee might never even know about it. Feel free to remind people, repeatedly if necessary, but if it's the day of the deadline and your application is still missing a letter I wouldn't freak out.

ETA: (I stressed so hard over this when I was applying only to later realize that it almost gave myself a coronary for nothing.)

I'm glad you mentioned this.

I noticed that one school's department web site suggests that their deadline is "hard." However, when I was contacted by someone working with applications I was specifically told that "so long as it gets here in the month of December you're fine." 

The angst/torture after you finish the application but before decisions comes in is normal, and unavoidable.  It doesn't really stop until you get your first acceptance.

For those of you waiting on Princeton I would expect it in the first week in Feb.  The nature of the Princeton semester is that finals for the fall semester aren't until the end of January.

I submitted my application to Michigan last night. That's one down, three to go -- although I've just realized that the other schools I'm applying to want SOPs no longer than around 1000 words, which sucks because my Michigan SOP was about 1800 words. I really have no idea how I'll cut that down.

Speaking of which, is anyone interested in exchanging SOPs? Medievalist here, if that's relevant.

Due to some unexpected developments, I may be moving around quite a bit over the next several months, and my current address may not reflect what it will be come February/March/April. How often do graduate programs send actual mail? I am under the impression that most letters relating to admissions and funding made online, but would like to know if anybody has had experience/knowledge to the contrary.

One more question: The instructions for UCLA's statement of purpose call for a double-spaced document with a two-page limit. I have tried shaving off as much as humanly possible, but am still exactly 3 lines into my third page. If I adjust the margins from the default (1") to something slightly smaller (0.9", a barely noticeable change), the document shrinks to two pages. I recognize that default margins are typically 1", but nothing on the UCLA website indicates a preference for margin size. If I go with the 0.9" margins, how big of a deal will it be? I honestly don't think I can shave off any more without losing something I consider exceptionally important, but I don't want to take this last resort if it means my chances of admission will take a hit. Alternatively, I could just go with 1" margins and go 3 lines over the limit. Would that be better?

Have you tried reducing the font size to 11.5 instead of twelve? That would probably be my first instinct. As long as the directions don't specify 12 point font (and provided you don't go crazy and reduce further in order to cram in more material), that should be perfectly acceptable to adcomms. Visually, the difference is imperceptible.

Have you tried reducing the font size to 11.5 instead of twelve? That would probably be my first instinct. As long as the directions don't specify 12 point font (and provided you don't go crazy and reduce further in order to cram in more material), that should be perfectly acceptable to adcomms. Visually, the difference is imperceptible.

Both of them work for my purposes. I vaguely prefer the margin-adjustment over the font-size-adjustment, because there's a two-line gap at the bottom of the second page for the font-adjustment draft, whereas the margin-adjustment draft is nicely filled-out. Would adcomms favor one method of cheating the system over the other?

I couldn't speculate. It's probably fine; arguably, you're taking your chances either way.

Interestingly, there's a discussion about this now in the Rhetoric and Composition forum: Make of it what you will.

Good luck!

One more question: The instructions for UCLA's statement of purpose call for a double-spaced document with a two-page limit. I have tried shaving off as much as humanly possible, but am still exactly 3 lines into my third page. If I adjust the margins from the default (1") to something slightly smaller (0.9", a barely noticeable change), the document shrinks to two pages. I recognize that default margins are typically 1", but nothing on the UCLA website indicates a preference for margin size. If I go with the 0.9" margins, how big of a deal will it be? I honestly don't think I can shave off any more without losing something I consider exceptionally important, but I don't want to take this last resort if it means my chances of admission will take a hit. Alternatively, I could just go with 1" margins and go 3 lines over the limit. Would that be better?

Font.

Just keep editing it down until you get to two pages, sorry. Changing font or margin size is never a good idea, especially when the department prints out a stack of SOPs and it looks obvious to anyone who sees yours. If everyone else can whittle their statement down to two pages, so can you. The best SOPs are cogent and concise.

Recommendation questions--

I realised that my first deadline is coming up on Dec 3rd (Stanford), but I doubt my professors are ready. Can they send the recs in later? Stanford states that it is a "hard" deadline. What should I do?

Thanks!

Just keep editing it down until you get to two pages, sorry. Changing font or margin size is never a good idea, especially when the department prints out a stack of SOPs and it looks obvious to anyone who sees yours. If everyone else can whittle their statement down to two pages, so can you. The best SOPs are cogent and concise.

Based on the answers I've read over the last 3 years of posting & lurking I have to say that I think the only reason this answer hasn't been given more often is because of the holiday.

Not your size, change your font. Depending on kerning, you can gain some ground.

Heed Safferz's guidance. The SOP is an opportunity to demonstrate one's skills as a writer.

After a neurotic and painstaking process, I have, indeed, been able to whittle it down to just under two pages. Thank you for this advice.

Does anybody have an answer to my letters-by-mail or letters-by-internet question?

Aaaaaaaah I had combed through my SOP a hundred times and I just realized a missed "your" in three SOPs I sent out! So it says "acceptance into doctoral program" instead of "acceptance into your doctoral program". AAAAAaaaaaah and one of those was to my first-choice school.

I thought I had caught everything. Nooooooo.

Yes, I am being dramatic but I feel like an asshole and there just is nothing I can do about it now. Over one damn word.

We're in the thick of it, my friends. Right in the thick of it.