Fall 2014 Applicants

CrazyCatLady80

I think since you are going for a PhD, go for it. Depending on the department, the level of funding, etc., any number of professors can be on leave at one time and they rotate their sabbaticals. Just because they aren't going to be there your first year doesn't mean the next 5-6 they won't. 

I was told point blank by a program that one more prof being on leave in the year after I was applying would have resulted in rejection, so I'm not sure you can necessarily count on rotating sabbaticals. One's prospective advisor being away in one's first year can be okay, but when there are a completely insufficient number of people to provide you with classes or mentoring in your first year, the year before may not be the best time to apply.

Likewise, if a prospective advisor is away during the year you apply, he/she might not be able to get a word in to support you. I would use leave information strategically to decide when to apply or at least what schools to avoid throwing application fees at uselessly.

Edited by czesc

• 2 weeks later...

okay, after a bit of uncertainty I am throwing my hat in the ring again. My last PhD program (Simon Fraser) did not work out, and my 2013 app to York (Toronto) did not work out because they have only one slot for foreigners.  

So far, U Michigan and Queen's U (Ontario) are on my list. UC Davis is a likely add. My main areas are indigenous peoples and medicine. 

Hi,

I'm still waiting to hear from two schools I applied for Spring 2014. I am getting very anxious so I am starting to list some schools that I will apply for Fall 2014 in case I don't get in this Spring. I have an MA in Middle East with GPA 3.58, so I'm applying to PhD History (Middle East Studies).

Hi,

I'm still waiting to hear from two schools I applied for Spring 2014. I am getting very anxious so I am starting to list some schools that I will apply for Fall 2014 in case I don't get in this Spring. I have an MA in Middle East with GPA 3.58, so I'm applying to PhD History (Middle East Studies).

I'm really curious where you applied for Spring 2014. Do you mind sharing? As far as I knew doctoral programs only accepted for one incoming class a year (in the fall).

Not really something I know a lot about, but I have heard a lot of good things about University of Toronto and it's European history (seems to be it's strength). Might be worth looking into.

U Toronto became amazing in that area with Natalie Zemon Davis. She just got the National Humanities Medal and actually I hear is really accessible to students despite having stopped teaching sometime in the early 90s.

Hi everyone - longtime reader, first time poster. I geared up to apply last year, but decided to wait.

I'm doing 21st-century France/Europe, with a strong interest in intellectual and political history.

Couple of questions:

1) Is anyone working on a writing sample for December deadline - as in, writing something new, as opposed to an older project? I'm planning to use the first chapter of the thesis I'm writing this semester, but getting a bit worried about having so little on paper this close.

2) Anyone doing modern France or intellectual history? Where are you applying? My list right now is NYU (History-French Studies), Harvard, Columbia, Cornell, and UPenn.

Finally, general comment, especially for you precocious undergrads on here: PLEASE stop freaking out about your grades and GRE scores. Obviously if you have terrible grades (especially in an MA program), that's not good. But I've talked to countless faculty members about this, and they are much more concerned with the parts of the application that demonstrate you are a professional academic than they are with those figures.

Hi everyone - longtime reader, first time poster. I geared up to apply last year, but decided to wait.

I'm doing 21st-century France/Europe, with a strong interest in intellectual and political history.

Couple of questions:

1) Is anyone working on a writing sample for December deadline - as in, writing something new, as opposed to an older project? I'm planning to use the first chapter of the thesis I'm writing this semester, but getting a bit worried about having so little on paper this close.

2) Anyone doing modern France or intellectual history? Where are you applying? My list right now is NYU (History-French Studies), Harvard, Columbia, Cornell, and UPenn.

You're doing 21st century France!? I guess this century has moved along more quickly than I'd thought.  :)

In all seriousness, I'd consider adding Chicago to your list. 

Edited by czesc

You're doing 21st century France!? I guess this century has moved along more quickly than I'd thought.  :)

In all seriousness, I'd consider adding Chicago to your list. 

"History of the present," you know. :)  I will take a look at Chicago.

21st century France?  You'll want to get in touch with POIs to make sure they're cool with it.  Many historians have a limit of how close they will go.  Right now, people are accepting 1980s but not 1990s yet.  There needs to be some time lapse for objectivity.

21st century France?  You'll want to get in touch with POIs to make sure they're cool with it.  Many historians have a limit of how close they will go.  Right now, people are accepting 1980s but not 1990s yet.  There needs to be some time lapse for objectivity.

We were joking - 21st century was a mistake. I'm doing 20TH century, though still pushing the edge of recent events (1980s).

What's everyone's status like?

I'm not assuming I'm done with a single thing until my adviser says "you're done." With that in mind, it seem that I'm about 3/4 through with the SOP and about 2/3 through writing the Writing Sample (the research has been completed obviously).

Too busy to be as stressed out as I should probably be...

As you should be. The time will come when it is 100% out of your hands and you're waiting. That's the torture. You don't need to be overly stressed out right now - just keep busy. :)

- Sadly I'm not around as much as I used to be ... this MA thing takes up more of my time than I thought ... I need to bang out a chapter by the end of this month so I can have my referees look over it and give me their take.  How are things w/you?

Hey oseirus and other 2014 applicants! - I'm on the fence about applying for the second time to PhD programs this year. I won't be done with my MA until early Spring (long story) and the bulk of my thesis work will coincide with app deadlines. I tried that once and neither the thesis NOR the apps worked out for me. So, I'm still waiting to see what my advisor and my sanity thinks before I say I'm going to do it. In the meantime, I'm scrambling to find work to hold me over. 

But I believe I mentioned before this time I'm sticking to US schools since the UK just doesn't have the money for the likes of me. Will probably consider Auburn and UCSB - still looking for professors working in 19th century Britain - cultural or urban history. 

Until then - good luck to everyone!

What's everyone's status like?

I'm not assuming I'm done with a single thing until my adviser says "you're done." With that in mind, it seem that I'm about 3/4 through with the SOP and about 2/3 through writing the Writing Sample (the research has been completed obviously).

I was on the fence about saying what mine was for fear people would be all, "Man, you've got your work cut out for you..."

My writing sample is a chapter of the MA thesis I'm currently working on (due next spring). I'd say I have nearly a third of it written, though I suspect hope it'll move more quickly when I get to the easier section. Will probably start on the SOP in the next couple of weeks - my adviser will be heavily involved in that, as well. But yeah, at this point I'm mostly consumed with finishing these on time.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I graduated three years ago from Tulane with a 3.1GPA (overall) and a 3.2GPA for my major (history). I know, it's certainly not the strongest, but I don't think it's 'bad' by any means. I'd be a flat 2.2 lower second-class honors. 

I did ROTC while I was in school, and commissioned immediately after graduation. I kick myself for not trying a bit harder as an undergraduate, but my focus was more on partying and 'just getting commissioned'. Recently, I found out I'm probably getting medically discharged. I'm really just looking forward to moving on with my life after this crappy experience. 

I have passion for history. Honestly, there's nothing I'd like to do more than continuing to learn, and I STRONGLY want to go abroad. I'm looking to apply to a few schools in Ireland and the UK (UCC Cork, Queens University Belfast, University of Aberdeen, University of Galway, Aberystwyth University). 

Almost all these schools say that typically they require a 2.1 when applying to taught masters. I've talked with a college advisor who says my GPA is in the 'range', however, I'm still a bit nervous. Since college, I've spent extensive time abroad working with foreign militaries. My free time is solely composed of 'studying' history. 

How would you say I rack up?

Also, is it slightly 'easier' for an American to get into a more completive graduate program in the UK due to the fact that we have to pay higher tuition? 

I appreciate any ideas!

Sincerely, 

A

Just a clarification since you bounce around with terminology a bit, UK schools say they're looking for a 2.1 GPA or for a 2-1 classification?

My only hesitation would be that UK MA degrees are, to the best of my knowledge, only one year. If you're looking at moving on to a PhD program, that's not a lot of time to atone for the sins of a misspent youth. Also, depending on field, the language expectations might be very steep, which would mean that a two-year program would help you get up to speed better.

I can advise about Aberystwyth - I studied abroad there for a year so if you have any questions, hit me with them! Aberystwyth has some amazing British and medieval professors. Modern Europe... iffy unless you're Czechoslovakia/Third Reich/Russia and you work with either Peter Lambert or Alastair Kocho-Williams. American history, there's one professor (Jessica Gibbs) who does the American Civil War but it really is a British/Welsh and medieval department.

Telkanuru is right - they aren't looking for a 2.1 - they are looking for a 2:1 (which is sometimes written as 2.1). A second-first as they call it. For Aberystwyth, this meant a 3.3-3.5. I'm not sure if this varies between school. I know it definitely depends on the department, though. (Aberystwyth is famous for their InterPol master's and so it's much harder to get into that one than say, their History program.)

What time period/area are you looking at? 

Hello,

I graduated three years ago from Tulane with a 3.1GPA (overall) and a 3.2GPA for my major (history). I know, it's certainly not the strongest, but I don't think it's 'bad' by any means. I'd be a flat 2.2 lower second-class honors. 

I did ROTC while I was in school, and commissioned immediately after graduation. I kick myself for not trying a bit harder as an undergraduate, but my focus was more on partying and 'just getting commissioned'. Recently, I found out I'm probably getting medically discharged. I'm really just looking forward to moving on with my life after this crappy experience. 

I have passion for history. Honestly, there's nothing I'd like to do more than continuing to learn, and I STRONGLY want to go abroad. I'm looking to apply to a few schools in Ireland and the UK (UCC Cork, Queens University Belfast, University of Aberdeen, University of Galway, Aberystwyth University). 

Almost all these schools say that typically they require a 2.1 when applying to taught masters. I've talked with a college advisor who says my GPA is in the 'range', however, I'm still a bit nervous. Since college, I've spent extensive time abroad working with foreign militaries. My free time is solely composed of 'studying' history. 

How would you say I rack up?

Also, is it slightly 'easier' for an American to get into a more completive graduate program in the UK due to the fact that we have to pay higher tuition? 

I appreciate any ideas!

Sincerely, 

A

Just wanted to be clear:  What are your goals?  This is just for a master's, right?  Not a PhD?  What do you want to do with it after?

I just wanted to let people know i'm back for the season.  I have not been reading for a few months.  For those of you who don't know me I'm a third year at Princeton and I field a fair number of PMs but I have to apologize to the person who was trying to contact me last month when Life Happened .

Edited by New England Nat