Fall 2014 Applicants

CrazyCatLady80

Hi all, new to the thread! I'm not handling the waiting period well, so it's nice to know others are going through the same. I just finished undergraduate at UVa by the way (I've seen a couple people post that they've applied), you can let me know if you'd like any insight into the department/particular POI's. 

I've applied to a combination of PhD's and master's programs this year, and I'm curious what insight you all might offer into either going straight into a PhD program versus pursuing the master's (in my case, I've been accepted to two programs in the U.K.). I had a substantial amount of independent research experience as an undergrad, and two of my classmates were accepted right out into top programs, so I figured applying to PhD programs now was worth a try. At the same time, I work with early modern Europe and would like to spend some time at a U.K. university. My plan was that either a) if I didn't get into a PhD program, I could enter a master's program, or b ) if I got into both a PhD program and a master's, I could potentially defer entry into the former to pursue the latter (since it is only a year). I was just guessing that plan b might be acceptable to PhD programs, do you think that would actually be the case? Just wondering if anyone had a similar experience or insight.

In any case, good luck to you all! :)

Edited by wiewanderlust

Hi all, new to the thread! I'm not handling the waiting period well, so it's nice to know others are going through the same. I just finished undergraduate at UVa by the way (I've seen a couple people post that they've applied), you can let me know if you'd like any insight into the department/particular POI's. 

I've applied to a combination of PhD's and master's programs this year, and I'm curious what insight you all might offer into either going straight into a PhD program versus pursuing the master's (in my case, I've been accepted to two programs in the U.K.). I had a substantial amount of independent research experience as an undergrad, and two of my classmates were accepted right out into top programs, so I figured applying to PhD programs now was worth a try. At the same time, I work with early modern Europe and would like to spend some time at a U.K. university. My plan was that either a) if I didn't get into a PhD program, I could enter a master's program, or b ) if I got into both a PhD program and a master's, I could potentially defer entry into the former to pursue the latter (since it is only a year). I was just guessing that plan b might be acceptable to PhD programs, do you think that would actually be the case? Just wondering if anyone had a similar experience or insight.

As far as I know a program won't let you defer acceptance to a PhD program, especially not to accept an offer from an MA program. That's more or less like telling them that they're a second choice. 

Edited by poliscar

Yeah, I don't think you can defer acceptance to a PhD program to attend a different graduate program. But doing a master's in the UK might be really helpful if you are planning to study British history and haven't spent much time there yet. Not helpful enough to turn down your top-choice PhD program if you are admitted, though. You will have other opportunities to spend some time in the UK and meet British historians in your field.

I, too, thought about applying to one-year master's programs in the UK when I was an undergraduate, but once I figured out what part of Europe I wanted to study it obviously made more sense to go there instead to get to know the area and improve my language skills. I finished my master's thesis a few months ago. I am thoroughly familiar with local libraries and archives and have strong ties to the academic community here. All of this should make developing a dissertation proposal and setting up a research year abroad much easier once I get there. But most American PhD students in European history haven't spent that much time abroad when they start graduate school and they are fine.

No.  Pick one.  Pick the one that's offering you money.

Eh..

I picked the school that threw money at me and had the nicest facilities and everyone looked like they worked out regularly.. (the other cohort looked like they played D&D.. daily..)

It was possibly the worst decision of my life.

Money isn't everything. Think long and hard about the decision.

Ok, thanks for the input all!

@poliscar, that certainly wouldn't be my intent, since obviously the PhD is the end goal in either scenario, but I'll take your word that it might read as such. My thought was that if a PhD program wanted me as I am, surely they might like me with an additional year of experience? 

@guineu, I agree that it would be a good career move in general, at least that familiarity and the advantages it would bring was certainly behind my decision to apply to some of the U.K. programs. If I don't end up in the U.K., I am still going to make it a major goal to try and fund as much overseas research opportunities as I can! 

And @TMP and Loric, thankfully any decision making is still down the road, and hopefully I will have a much clearer picture of my options!  I'm really not willing (or able) to lay out a great deal of money, or choose a program that doesn't feel like a great fit, master's or PhD. I applied to the U.K. master's programs naively thinking I might be able to find some funding (har-har), and I've only recently started seriously thinking about how much I would be willing to foot on my own. Basically if nothing comes through, I don't think it will work out regardless of PhD acceptances, but I've still got fingers crossed for Gates-Cambridge among others. 

Edited by wiewanderlust

Welp, there's already a Michigan PhD acceptance on the results page (but nothing in my inbox, sadly). Seems awfully early.

Nope.  I'm calling BS on that poster.  Last year, everyone that posted acceptances for UMich (history phDs) reported notification in the week between February 15th and February 21st.  Don't let it rattle you.  

I have a question: what differences can I expect between a skype interview and an actual interview?  I heard back from a POI (post application reading, apparently) who wants to talk to me via skype.  I'm not really sure what sort of questions I can expect or what degree of formality there will be.  I'm also not sure if I can let myself get excited about a skype interview in the first place.  I was so preoccupied with the whole "putting an application together" thing that I never bothered to let myself think about what came after submitting said application.

I have a question: what differences can I expect between a skype interview and an actual interview?  

You don't have to wear pants to a Skype interview.  I kid, but seriously.  Put on a nice shirt, make sure that there's nothing "off-putting" in the background of your feed frame and be prepared to talk about yourself: the work you've done, the work you aim to do, how you think University X fits in, etc.  If you've put a reasonable amount of effort into your application package, you should be in a good place to talk about this stuff (as you've likely reviewed it recently, ad nauseam).

Good luck!  :)

I have a question: what differences can I expect between a skype interview and an actual interview?  I heard back from a POI (post application reading, apparently) who wants to talk to me via skype.  I'm not really sure what sort of questions I can expect or what degree of formality there will be.  I'm also not sure if I can let myself get excited about a skype interview in the first place.  I was so preoccupied with the whole "putting an application together" thing that I never bothered to let myself think about what came after submitting said application.

What do you mean 'difference'? Probably they offer a skype interview because you are far away from them. Difference in question? I don't think so. I've had pre- and post-submission interviews and I can say that post-submission are definitely more formal than the pre- ones. Consider them as part of the application process. Be prepared to answer questions about your interests that you haven't said in the SoP and have some good questions ready. 

Nope.  I'm calling BS on that poster.  Last year, everyone that posted acceptances for UMich (history phDs) reported notification in the week between February 15th and February 21st.  Don't let it rattle you.

You're right, it does seem unrealistically early. But I have to wonder why someone would bother doing that! Oh well, I'll keep the dream alive.

I just did my first and hopefully last Skype interview before Christmas and my advice would be that you should try and make it absolutely no different. Dress the same, prepare the same, consider even leaving your house and coming back for the interview to get in the right mindset. The technological hassles (lag if you're lucky; worse if you're not) are enough that you shouldn't also be wondering why it feels weird sitting on your chair with no pants.

I just did my first and hopefully last Skype interview before Christmas and my advice would be that you should try and make it absolutely no different. Dress the same, prepare the same, consider even leaving your house and coming back for the interview to get in the right mindset. The technological hassles (lag if you're lucky; worse if you're not) are enough that you shouldn't also be wondering why it feels weird sitting on your chair with no pants.

Obviously kidding about the pants thing.  These are the jokes.  

You're right, it does seem unrealistically early. But I have to wonder why someone would bother doing that! Oh well, I'll keep the dream alive.

Who knows; but they were all up in arms in the philosophy forum over a similar instance of premature acceptance reportage.  People just being "funny," I guess.

How common is it for history programs to interview? I was under the impression that this was not at all usual in our field. Are these interviews not posted on the results search because they are informal interviews with a potential advisor rather than a formal step in the application process?

How common is it for history programs to interview? 

I don't think it's terribly common, actually.  Anecdotally, I didn't interview prior to my MA admission and colleagues that have gone into top-25 phD programs in the last two application cycles have likewise done so without the formality (or, informality, for that matter) of an interview.  For whatever reason, the practice seems much more prevalent in art history admissions.  I couldn't really speculate why.

The relation to "art" - MFA's are typically terminal, so they're done with a bit more pomp and circumstance. The two areas are often linked in office space, faculty, etc.. so they tend to walk in lock step with processes.

I don't think it's terribly common, actually.  Anecdotally, I didn't interview prior to my MA admission and colleagues that have gone into top-25 phD programs in the last two application cycles have likewise done so without the formality (or, informality, for that matter) of an interview.  For whatever reason, the practice seems much more prevalent in art history admissions.  I couldn't really speculate why.

That's what I thought, so I was really surprised to see people taking about interviews here. Thanks for the response!

Each year there are a bunch of fake posts to results board.  Be deeply suspicious of acceptances posted to big name schools without other acceptances with it.  Unless the cohort is very small there will be a chunk of them at once to top programs.

I know you were kidding, but people do it. Actually I used to work in local news and one of our anchors wore shorts with his suit all summer. You can do it, but you need to be used to it or it will take you out of your game.

There's a How I Met Your Mother reference somewhere in there.

Edited by thedig13

Just got an email from my POI at Harvard requesting an informal skype interview. If I don't post back here again it's because I had an anxiety attack over the next couple of days and actually died.

Just got an email from my POI at Harvard requesting an informal skype interview. If I don't post back here again it's because I had an anxiety attack over the next couple of days and actually died.

This made me chuckle. Good luck to you! Lol