Skowhegan or other residencies?

cool90068

I haven't heard anything from Skowhegan yet, I got rejected from the Guandu Sculpture Festival a few days back.. that would have been fun.. It said on the Skowhegan app that they let you know in April.

Obviously the residencies that offer funding are more competitive, but I applied to a residency in France through Artistay.org and got accepted, though I have to find funding for it if I choose to go.

Other than that there are bunch of rolling deadlines like CLUI, ElsewhereElsewhere, Art Center South Florida, Art Croft, and the Exploratorium in SF.

Ox-bow's deadline is coming up on the 20th, and Art Farm is on the 15th..

I didn't apply to VSU because I want to do a three month program..

No word from Skohegan here either.

For 2009, I was rejected at Millay and accepted to Vermont Studio Center with funding.

Plus, Skohegan apparently hates painters anyway... I know someone who applied five times and never made it.

• 3 weeks later...

Want to know too! Never got email rejection from Skowhegan in the past. Is this a new thing? Are the ones who didn't get emails IN? Wishing thinking, I know. Is anyone waiting on this to decide which school to go to in the Fall. For me, if I get in, I am tempted to try again next year with more schools, because my work will only get better.

That's strange that you guys haven't heard from Skowhegan. Maybe it means you're in? Here is what my email from Skowhegan said:

Thank you for your interest in Skowhegan. The Board of Governors and Faculty have completed their review of over 2,000 applications for the 65 places in the class.

I am sorry to report that we cannot offer you admission this summer. However, we would like you to know that the Governors and faculty felt your work was very strong and encourage you to apply again next year.

------------------

Is this a generic email or do they send this email selectively? Any thoughts?

I have very little hope that I will get in. I didn't send my application till the last minute, so maybe they haven't gotten to sending me the rejection. Or it's done alphabetically, and my last name is near the bottom. I really really need to know!

That's strange that you guys haven't heard from Skowhegan. Maybe it means you're in? Here is what my email from Skowhegan said:

Thank you for your interest in Skowhegan. The Board of Governors and Faculty have completed their review of over 2,000 applications for the 65 places in the class.

I am sorry to report that we cannot offer you admission this summer. However, we would like you to know that the Governors and faculty felt your work was very strong and encourage you to apply again next year.

------------------

Is this a generic email or do they send this email selectively? Any thoughts?

I think this email is a slightly better sign than what I just got...

Thank you for your interest in attending Skowhegan. I am sorry to report that we cannot offer you admission this summer. We regret that the number of applications makes individualized notification impossible. The selection process this year was exceptionally difficult, as we received over 2,000 applications for 65 places.

On behalf of the Board of Governors, faculty and staff, I want to thank you for the opportunity to review your work, and your patience throughout this process. All join me in wishing you well in your work.

Sincerely,

Linda Earle

Executive Director, Program

Best of luck!!!

I have not heard from Skowhegan yet-- I am positive I was rejected (my demo tape was not the highest quality), but the suspense is killing me. I applied super last second, maybe that has something to do with the delay in response. I assume they already told the 65 who got a spot. Anyone hear back today? Also, did anyone else do the 5min video portfolio instead of submitting 10 images?

I just got rejected as well.. I'm not sure if the email is generic or not.. Probably just sent from different review committees? I like that it doesn't even say the part about 'strong work' or applying next year. Considering they had over 2000 applicants that means they brought in $90K from apps alone. And the acceptance rate was 3.25 %..

Oh well. On to the next.

No word from Skohegan here either.

For 2009, I was rejected at Millay and accepted to Vermont Studio Center with funding.

Plus, Skohegan apparently hates painters anyway... I know someone who applied five times and never made it.

Isn't skowhegan's name The Skowhegan School of Painting and Sculpture? A few people I know who have been there are mostly painters.