Conference for Masters student

windypoplars

Maybe. Where I am currently, I was able to apply to grants provided by the Graduate College and the Psychology Department for travel funds; if I didn't have those funds, yes, I'd be paying.

Most programs I've seen (in the social sciences, generally) provide a limited amount of travel funds to each student per year. Often these have some kind of requirement attached to them after you return from the conference but they are never really a big deal. I've yet to see a department that covers 100% of the costs but it makes it easier for sure.

i'm sure this depends on many factors, but i have a few friends in my field of study who are (or were) in unfunded MA programs who had professors help out with and/or cover their costs of attendance. a lot of events will have volunteer or scholarship options, as do many professional organizations, to cover travel and attendance expenses.

My school offers student travel funds and grants through various campus committees and offices.  I recently received a small travel grant to present at a conference in Chicago, and I'm only an undergrad.  Even if your department doesn't offer travel funds for conferences, maybe other offices in your university do.  Also, if you belong to student organizations or Psi Chi, travel funds may be available.