How to decide?

crackthesky

Hi all,

I am in the fortunate position of being accepted at a few schools, but now I have no idea how to choose. I had 2 schools at the very top of my list (and I was accepted at one with a fellowship and wait listed at the other) but these were also the only two schools that I had the time and money to visit. Is scraping together the funds to visit the other schools I was accepted at worthwhile? I'm already a grad student so I don't have too much money for travel expenses.

How do you all make decisions when funding, cost of living, place of residence, and program rankings all vary so greatly? Is there anything that you find more important or less important when trying to discern where to go? I feel a little lost and I'm not sure how to go about deciding.

If you already knew that two were at the top of your list for research and fit reasons and you are accepted to both, I see no reason to visit other schools.  Those two are your top choices, and your choice should be between them now if you have funding at both.

Every grad student's method of deciding is going to be different, but here's what I think.

1) Funding is important to the extent that you should have enough money to cover your living expenses in University City.  But personally, I wouldn't compare the amount of funding over and above that.  If School A is a better fit for you research wise and they offer you enough to cover necessities and a few fun things, whereas School B is not as good but offers you relatively more money, I would choose School A.  You're going to graduate school to engage with the people in your field and it's a means to an end; you want to be taken care of but not much more.

2) Program ranking is only important to the extent that it affects future placement and awards.  I would say there's not much difference between the #5 school and the #10 or even #15.  But if one school is in the top 10 and the other is in the top 20, that may be a consideration for fellowship/grant funding while a student and/or future placement for jobs.  Consider it, but don't make it the deciding factor, especially if there's evidence that your PI is well-regarded enough that you'll place well regardless or if the school/program has a good placement rate.

3) Location & cost of living are only important to the extent that you can cover your costs and you won't be miserable there.  I mean, sure it would be better to go to school in Boston vs. State College if you like big cities, or the other way around if you like a quieter existence.  But the more you sacrifice now, the less you'll have to sacrifice later when you are looking for jobs.  If you would be absolutely miserable in one location, the obviously, don't go.  Or if you have a partner and your partner won't be able to find any jobs in that area, that's important too.  If you have family in one area that may also be a consideration especially if you are planning on having children.  Your ability to meet potential mates may be important if you want to be partnered.  I'm not saying don't consider the human factors; we're not robots.  But if you don't have many or any of the former considerations or the different locations won't impact those factors that much, I would say location shouldn't be a deciding factor.  A little delay of gratification to attend a better program may work out for you in the long run when a job pops up in Dream City and you have the CV to get it.

Same thing with cost of living.  I get super-frustrated with the cost of living in my university's very very expensive city.  But I can cover my living costs easily, and I am working with great people doing great work with lots of opportunities and will probably get a great placement coming out of here.  So it's worth it to have a little less buying power for 6 years, to me.

May I ask what you mean by "placement"? Is it a special type of job application (like what residency would be for med students) that is specific to your field?

Although placement is used pretty widely in my field I think it's a poor word.  Really, what I mean is getting a job - specifically, a postdoc followed by a tenure-track professor job in my field.  My program has pretty good results in students going on to good postdocs and/or good jobs after they graduate from here.  In some fields, where you go to grad school has a significant bearing on where you can teach afterwards.

Thanks for all the great advice in here! I'm pretty sure I've made my decision. Visiting one of the top schools again next week because they have invited me to. If all goes well, I believe I will be accepting. The cost of living is what I'm most concerned about so I'm anxious to take the time to talk to students there.

Thanks everyone!

Thanks for all the great advice in here! I'm pretty sure I've made my decision. Visiting one of the top schools again next week because they have invited me to. If all goes well, I believe I will be accepting. The cost of living is what I'm most concerned about so I'm anxious to take the time to talk to students there.

Thanks everyone!

Actual visits and talking to the actual students/professors is easily the best way to make a decision