What do you do when everyone rejects you?

MGLaLaLa

Seriously. I am freaking out. Am I supposed to go through another $4000 round of applications? Do I find a new career after spending seven years on this? What? Seriously, I am open to any and all suggestions. I am trained for nothing but English Lit.

I applied to 9 last year and got rejected from 8, waitlisted on 1 (that I eventually didn't get into). I suggest expanding your list of programs you are willing to apply to, that will allow you to get you to where you want to go. I'm not too sure about how English Lit is, but all I did was apply to clinical psych last year, so this year I applied to social work, applied social psych, etc. Figure out what it is you want to do, and the different paths that can bring you there. Do you HAVE to go into grad school? What other programs can you apply to? Maybe a diploma/certificate can get you to the same place? Apply to more programs? I applied to 9 last year, 15 this year.

Also, volunteer, get more experience. I also improved my personal statement a LOT from last year. Maybe start earlier next time, if you end up having to apply again, and get more people to look at your application?

I wish you all the luck with your applications!

How in the world did you spend $4000 on applications? Many people who don't get in the first time around are able to do so the second time. If have to reapply next year, use this coming year to gain lots of experience and pas your resume. Retake the GRE's (if necessary), get some experience, and find people to write great recommendations.

First, you take some time and breathe. Your life would be boring if it always went the way you expected. Next, take some time and brainstorm ideas you haven't explored yet. You might be surprised what you come up with. 

Did you really spend $4,000? Or was that a typo, and it should have been $400? If it was $4,000, I'm assuming some kind of test prep classes you won't need to take again. If it was $400, well, perhaps you have a better idea of where you should and shouldn't apply on the next round, which will help with the total cost?

Best of luck to you!

I was also rejected from all (4) Education PhD programs I applied to.  While I briefly contemplated taking a year off, re-taking the GREs, focusing solely on my applications and applying to 10 schools rather than 4, I think I have decided to pursue a masters degree instead.  Who knows, maybe I will find that the professional world suits me better....or I will be better equipped to reapply for PhDs 2 years down the road (though I will be 31 at that point...). 

I spent about $1200 dollars on the GRE alone -- didn't even take a prep course, just bought a few books, but it cost that much just for test registration fees... boat ticket fees... plane ticket fees... plus hotel fees.

I was also rejected from all (4) Education PhD programs I applied to.  While I briefly contemplated taking a year off, re-taking the GREs, focusing solely on my applications and applying to 10 schools rather than 4, I think I have decided to pursue a masters degree instead.  Who knows, maybe I will find that the professional world suits me better....or I will be better equipped to reapply for PhDs 2 years down the road (though I will be 31 at that point...). 

I spent about $1200 dollars on the GRE alone -- didn't even take a prep course, just bought a few books, but it cost that much just for test registration fees... boat ticket fees... plane ticket fees... plus hotel fees.

I'm 34. You'll still be young. :) Don't worry about it.

Seriously. I am freaking out. Am I supposed to go through another $4000 round of applications? Do I find a new career after spending seven years on this? What? Seriously, I am open to any and all suggestions. I am trained for nothing but English Lit.

I was rejected from my 6 programs-so you're not alone! (although like everyone else said there's no way I even spent close to $4000)  I found an MA program that would allow me to apply late, and am investigating other programs that have later deadlines as well. Don't know if you have an MA already but if you do-what about a related field MA? I'm looking into MAs in history because that's what most of my research is founded in even though I'm an AMS/PoliSci undergrad BA. Thinking about it now, this is definitely a good course for me because it will allow me to hopefully have a really excellent writing sample for next time and it'll take me "back to basics" if you will-maybe this is an option for you too!

I would pray. Meanwhile I would think of getting a job outside academia. Look again at your applications, analyze them, why they went south, whether it's a problem with your application itself or a problem with yourself. To some, grad school is just a job. You could definitely find other jobs if you plan to. It's not the end of the world.

Is there a reason you're opting to do a master's, rather than working for a year? depending on what you want the phd for, the master's may not help you very much

haha, well I guess 31 is young.. but I am thinking about starting a family somewhere down the road (though I don't even have a partner at the moment) so I just wonder about the timing for a PhD.  Also I have been living in countryside Japan for 4 years where it's a common assumption that your life is over if you are an unmarried woman with no kids and over the age of 25 (and also going to grad school at the age of 29 even is practically unheard of), so I think the culture is getting to me a bit. When I tell people I am going to grad school next year there response is, "Oh, so you won't be able to get married then, that's so sad!"  haha. I think I just need some time to reintegrate and break out of this mind set... and reading all of your comments is definitely helping, so thanks!

abeilles - I have been working for 7 years... first 3 years unrelated to education but I did volunteer work even then, and the past 4 years as a teacher overseas.  I had to decied to not renew my contract during this PhD application season so staying here longer is unfortunately not an option (contract is finished in July).  Rather than just moving back to the US with no job lined up I think it is better to do something that will actively help me either pursue a PhD or in future career endeavors.  There are tons of assitantships available in this program too, that will likely cover tuition and add to my work / research experience. 

I am curious though, why do you think the masters may not help much? I would think it would prove that you are capable of doing good graduate level work  (provided you do well) at minimum.  

abeilles - I have been working for 7 years... first 3 years unrelated to education but I did volunteer work even then, and the past 4 years as a teacher overseas.  I had to decied to not renew my contract during this PhD application season so staying here longer is unfortunately not an option (contract is finished in July).  Rather than just moving back to the US with no job lined up I think it is better to do something that will actively help me either pursue a PhD or in future career endeavors.  There are tons of assitantships available in this program too, that will likely cover tuition and add to my work / research experience. 

I am curious though, why do you think the masters may not help much? I would think it would prove that you are capable of doing good graduate level work  (provided you do well) at minimum.  

I'm just under the impression that (at least in my field) a master's doesn't really make you any more likely to be admitted to a PhD program

haha, well I guess 31 is young.. but I am thinking about starting a family somewhere down the road (though I don't even have a partner at the moment) so I just wonder about the timing for a PhD.  Also I have been living in countryside Japan for 4 years where it's a common assumption that your life is over if you are an unmarried woman with no kids and over the age of 25 (and also going to grad school at the age of 29 even is practically unheard of), so I think the culture is getting to me a bit. When I tell people I am going to grad school next year there response is, "Oh, so you won't be able to get married then, that's so sad!"  haha. I think I just need some time to reintegrate and break out of this mind set... and reading all of your comments is definitely helping, so thanks!

I have a 5 year old. She was born during year 1 of my MA. At one point I used to safety pin papers to her sleepers so I could rock her and read at the same time. It can be done. :) I promise. Now I'm hopefully about to start the phd with a kindergartner in tow.

Do you already have a masters? I didn't know it was the norm to go from bachelors to phd without one. More uncommon in canada.

haha, nice to hear, Lanie!  I don't have a masters.

Abeiles - I think it depends on the field.  I thought the same thing when I was thinking about applying for anthropology.. but I am not so sure it works that way in the field of education.  I noticed that many of the applicants who were accepted into the PhD programs I wanted to go to already had their masters. 

I wonder if part of the reason I was rejected from PhD programs is because my focus wasn't narrow enough... I think pursuing a masters degree will help me with that as well.  I have been out of academia so long... I can't really say how good my SOP actually was.      

I'm still waiting for a school's decision, but so many acceptances have been sent out already that I think a rejection is imminent. I feel like a piece of crap: all that money on applications' fees down the drain, studying for the GRE, and chasing down professors to get recommendation letters, all for nothing. Such a waste of time, and the thought of doing it all over again just to get another chance next year makes me even more depressed. 

:(