Skowhegan Decisions

Czarina

Not sure why I was holding out hoping for any possibility of getting in. 2297 applications is pretty insane and makes for rather insurmountable odds paired w/a subjective judging process. 

"Thank you for your interest in Skowhegan. The committee that reviewed the applications for 2013 felt your work was very strong, however, I am sorry to inform you that we are unable to offer you admission for the 2013 summer session. We would like you to know that your work was considered through the final rounds and would encourage you to apply again in the future. It was an exceedingly difficult review process, and we always regret that we are unable to accept more applicants. We wish you the best of luck in your studio practice and thank you for your patience throughout the review process.

Best Regards"

*saunters off...*

“I learned this, at least, by my experiment: that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
Henry David Thoreau, Walden: Or, Life in the Woods

is that  the email that everyone got? i guess they tried to make us feel a little special. (sob)

"Thank you for your interest in Skowhegan. The committee that reviewed the applications for 2013 felt your work was very strong, however, I am sorry to inform you that we are unable to offer you admission for the 2013 summer session. We would like you to know that your work was considered through the final rounds and would encourage you to apply again in the future."

Pocketdictionary is right. My rejection email did not mention the part of being in the final selection or to apply again. So, if you received that message you should take it as a great sign they liked your stuff!

I haven't received an email yet.  can someone tell me when they were notified?

rejections suck but at least we can write off the application fees on our taxes! :D 

I haven't received an email yet.  can someone tell me when they were notified?

rejections suck but at least we can write off the application fees on our taxes! :D 

I received an email yesterday around 4:00pm. I'm not sure how the notification process there works, but I would assume not hearing from them yet is a good sign. Good luck! 

I received an email yesterday around 4:00pm. I'm not sure how the notification process there works, but I would assume not hearing from them yet is a good sign. Good luck! 

Thanks robet268!

I've applied a few times and rejected every time, but that's just how it works I think. A friend got in this year after her third time applying- so we shouldn't get discouraged... even if you didn't get the version of the letter that encourages you to apply again. Each year is a totally different admission panel, isn't it?

Congrats to those of you that are accepted! I am curious about how much financial aid they actually give out, if anyone would be willing to say that would be great. I have always said I could only pay $1000 or less and wonder if they actually allow that. Another friend of mine said he could only pay $1.

I've applied a few times and rejected every time, but that's just how it works I think. A friend got in this year after her third time applying- so we shouldn't get discouraged... even if you didn't get the version of the letter that encourages you to apply again. Each year is a totally different admission panel, isn't it?

Congrats to those of you that are accepted! I am curious about how much financial aid they actually give out, if anyone would be willing to say that would be great. I have always said I could only pay $1000 or less and wonder if they actually allow that. Another friend of mine said he could only pay $1.

I just spoke with the co-director, there are super awesome payment plans with 4,5, or 6 months spreads!

I received a ton of aid but will need to use a plan to pay off my balance.

I am so very poor.

Edited by capers

A handy tip for everyone who is currently in grad school, or will be... Many programs have matching grants for skowhegan. Meaning, your school may cover your cost to attend.

Capers, if you have decided where your going to go I'd contact that school about this ASAP. one of the people in my program did Skowhegan the summer before he started grad school and NYU paid for it.

Edited by robet268

A handy tip for everyone who is currently in grad school, or will be... Many programs have matching grants for skowhegan. Meaning, your school may cover your cost to attend.

Capers, if you have decided where your going to go I'd contact that school about this ASAP. one of the people in my program did Skowhegan the summer before he started grad school and NYU paid for it.

Thanks for the info, super handy!