online back up??

coffeerocket

Seconding dropbox.  Simple to use and there's plenty of free storage available.  I also email important docs to myself once a week or so for extra backup.

I use dropbox. I edit files directly from my dropbox folder so they sync every time I save.

^^ This x 1000

I can't tell you how many times Dropbox has saved me. Very well worth it. 

I know you're looking for free, but I shelled out for Carbonite last year, and it turned out to be my best decision ever when I got a virus about four months later.

SkyDrive is also a good option as well. I prefer this to Dropbox due to its bigger free storage (7GB) and its ability to create/edit Office documents online.  Other than that, it's pretty much the same as Dropbox. I'm using both, and they have been very reliable. Only encountered a glitch with SkyDrive from trying to upload my word document created from LibreOffice. Dropbox service downed twice for 3-4 years I've been using it, so no biggie.

Just FYI, using these services might contradict some of your university's IT policies on storage of grades and research data. I think the benefits outweigh the risks because computer crashes, lost USB's, etc. are more likely than a security breach, but it's something to consider.

I use SpiderOak. The client is a bit unwieldy but it will backup any folder and does client-side encryption (unlike dropbox, google drive and many other services). $75/year for 100 GB or I think 5 GB free.