Conferences

I have a few questions about the call for papers:

1) If they accept your submission, do you have to pay to get your work published? If so, how much?

2) How do you choose among all those posters? Sometimes you feel like your paper matches a number of cfps, how do you decide which is better, in terms of reputation, prestige,...etc. 

3)Why many journal, if not all, say that they are not going to return your paper in case they don't accept it? 

4)Can you submit the same paper in two different languages to two different journals? 

Thanks...

I have a few questions about the call for papers:

1) If they accept your submission, do you have to pay to get your work published? If so, how much?

2) How do you choose among all those posters? Sometimes you feel like your paper matches a number of cfps, how do you decide which is better, in terms of reputation, prestige,...etc. 

3)Why many journal, if not all, say that they are not going to return your paper in case they don't accept it? 

4)Can you submit the same paper in two different languages to two different journals? 

Thanks...

1. You should never pay to publish. However, if your proposal is accepted to a conference, you will have to pay the conference registration fee. The fee ranges depending on the organization. Always check for grad student/adjunct/underemployed discounts; this often soften the blow of the fees. 

2. In terms of prestige: Google the organization. Check to see who the keynote is. Google the keynote. If the keynote is a well known scholar in that field, chances are the organization is well-regarded.

I have also been told that there are some great conferences for specific subfields that are not well known among the general public of scholars. Check with your advisors to see what conferences they suggest for your interests. You can also tell a lot from the CFP itself. If it is a grad student conference, for example, it may not be prestigious, but it may be a good opportunity to get your feet wet and make connections. Your own objectives will determine your ideal venue.

3. I imagine the few journals that still use snail mail for submission do not return rejected manuscripts because it takes money and time to send them back. However, if they do reject your proposal, you still have full authority to resubmit it to other publications.

4. I honestly have no idea. 

Hope this helps!

As such, if somebody is interested in splitting a room there, please feel free to PM me. I'm probably going to go ahead and reserve a room soon. I had a friend lined up but she had to back out, and splitting costs saves lives so...yeah...lol.

Yay for video game papers! They picked my television and social media paper and rejected my crime studies and television paper. I suppose I'll never know how they felt about my princess culture paper since I had to take myself out of the running for that one when I got accepted to the first one.

Yay for video game papers! They picked my television and social media paper and rejected my crime studies and television paper. I suppose I'll never know how they felt about my princess culture paper since I had to take myself out of the running for that one when I got accepted to the first one.

I know! Maybe you can submit your other paper somewhere else like the PCA/ACA?

I actually just submitted a proposal yesterday to the MIdwest PCA/ACA for a paper I wrote about Boy Meets World :P.

That sounds awesome, especially since I think the sequel will be released later this year. Good luck. 

I actually submitted an abstract there too, only it is the same abstract for the one that was accepted at PAMLA (because I wasn't sure about PAMLA's acceptance rates and I thought I would get rejections). Not sure about how presenting the same paper in another conference would look like.  

That sounds awesome, especially since I think the sequel will be released later this year. Good luck. 

I actually submitted an abstract there too, only it is the same abstract for the one that was accepted at PAMLA (because I wasn't sure about PAMLA's acceptance rates and I thought I would get rejections). Not sure about how presenting the same paper in another conference would look like.  

It was actually more about the sequel than the original, but telling people I wrote about Boy Meets World sounds better lol.

As such, if somebody is interested in splitting a room there, please feel free to PM me. I'm probably going to go ahead and reserve a room soon. I had a friend lined up but she had to back out, and splitting costs saves lives so...yeah...lol.

I would, but I am bringing my dh and my baby.  I will have to sneak out of the conference every two hours or so to feed the baby---that should be interesting! :P  I am going to prove that this all can be done with kids (even if it kills me ;) )

I am in no way connected to Tufts, but this graduate student conference looks amazing. I know there are some other folks here interested in queer theory and gender studies, so I thought I'd share here. I'll be submitting a proposal! 

"We solicit papers from all areas of the humanities on being suspended between or moving across two states of being. Some questions of interest include: What are historical moments of fissure at which trans* figures emerge? How might the trans* figure transfigure structures of identity and power? In what ways are identities and bodies transfixed? What constitutes an act of transgression? How do new technologies translate and transform identities?"

More info here: http://call-for-papers.sas.upenn.edu/node/51458

*waves* I'm at Tufts and while I'm not going to be submitting to this conference because it's too far outside of my area of interest, I've been to two of these in my time here and they're always a great, interesting discussion and event!

*waves* I'm at Tufts and while I'm not going to be submitting to this conference because it's too far outside of my area of interest, I've been to two of these in my time here and they're always a great, interesting discussion and event!

Awesome! Thanks for sharing. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Guys, as of today, I have two PAMLA invites, and I have already written to confirm a presentation for one area. However, I got another invitation from another area that I would really like to present to. The abstract that I submitted there is a revamped version of a thesis chapter, so I am kind of divided right now. Can I still back out from the other one?

Argh. This is so hard.

Edited by literary_tourist

Guys, as of today, I have two PAMLA invites, and I have already written to confirm a presentation for one area. However, I got another invitation from another area that I would really like to present to. The abstract that I submitted there is a revamped version of a thesis chapter, so I am kind of divided right now. Can I still back out from the other one?

Argh. This is so hard.

I feel like they won't care. People have done that to me before, and I was annoyed for a few seconds, then found someone else to cover the spot.

• 2 weeks later...

If the conference is willing to publish presented papers but in case one pays for it, should I pay them to publish my paper anyway, or should I just present it and then look for a publisher? I'm afraid of not being able to find a publisher after I say no to the conference condition for publishing...

If the conference is willing to publish presented papers but in case one pays for it, should I pay them to publish my paper anyway, or should I just present it and then look for a publisher? I'm afraid of not being able to find a publisher after I say no to the conference condition for publishing...

The best advice I've received is to not rush to publish; rather, wait until you have the best possible piece of work and the best possible journal to publish in. After all, publications are permanent; they will follow you forever! It can be tempting to get a new mark on your CV. However, if you think you have something worthy of publishing, I would hold onto it until you're in a program with supportive advisors who can help you revise it for publication in a major journal in your field. 

Ok, My first conference presentation ever is a few weeks away and I'm freaking out. I'm the kind of person who feels embarrassed very easily. So, what kind of embarrassment should I expect in my first conference? I don't want this experience to be a nightmare :ph34r:  .