Macbook Air for grad school?

onedayslp

Wow, sorry to hear it. 

I do the computer care on 3 MBAs (Mine, wife's and my mom's), and all have had no issues over the last 3-4 years. Every day use, even in the field, and still rock solid daily use and battery life. 

Chiming in with my $.02: I have a Macbook Air and I love it.

I will never buy a computer that’s not made by Apple. The customer service alone makes it worth it. Case and point: I broke my computer charger last week and Apple replaced it for free. I’ve had to replace broken chargers a few times and have received them for free every single time.

What’s more, before I got my Macbook Air, I had just the regular Macbook Pro. It started having issues one day (about a year after I’d purchased it) and I needed it for work, so I took it into the Apple store. They were initially going to send it out to have it fixed, but when I told them that I needed it for work, they just replaced the entire damn computer for free. They just walked into the back, grabbed a new one, loaded all of my stuff onto it, and were like, “There you go. If this one has any issues at any point, just bring it in and we’ll take care of it.”  

Apple is amazing. AMAZING. And now that they run all Microsoft applications, there’s no reason to buy a PC. 

Anyway, just my thoughts. 

PS (Edit): I also have an iPad Mini, an iPhone 5c, and an iPod Touch. As a teacher, it’s a wonderful thing to be able to sync all of your devices to one another. For example, I create Keynotes on my iPad, display them on my computer/monitors, and use my iPhone as a remote. It seriously is incredible. I can’t say enough nice things about Apple. 

Edited by Kamisha

Chiming in with my $.02: I have a Macbook Air and I love it.

I will never buy a computer that’s not made by Apple. The customer service alone makes it worth it. Case and point: I broke my computer charger last week and Apple replaced it for free. I’ve had to replace broken chargers a few times and have received them for free every single time.

I also love using my Mac and greatly enjoy it, however, I don't see this particular example as a plus! I also have to replace my charger once in the last 2 years (and my SD card reader stopped working, also fixed now though). My friend has replaced his charger twice in the last year. I am super glad that Apple does have great customer service (as long as you buy/have AppleCare) but my pet peeve is that I should not even need this service in the first place. I think the fact that their hardware fails often enough that you need AppleCare is one of my less favourite things about Apple stuff. I am worried what will happen when AppleCare runs out! All of my non-Mac computers in the past usually work for at least 3 years without any issues!

In the long run, I think it's still worth it to get Apple computers as long as I can afford them, but what seems to be a high failure rate of their hardware is disappointing!