Macbook Air for grad school?

onedayslp

I'd really like to hear more of why a 1366x768 resolution can't show as many documents side by side as a 1920x1080 one. 

The resolution doesn't matter almost at all for tiling documents- the only thing that really matters is the size and dimensions of the screen. 

If we're talking about huge screens, it starts to matter more, but at 13" or 11", the limiting factor is how small you can read, not how many pixels across the screen is. 

I suppose you are right in that increasing resolution technically doesn't really increase the amount of content that can be physically be displayed on your screen if you take downscaling into account, but there is a significant difference in image quality. You can zoom out a document as much as you want to fit more on your screen regardless of resolution, but if you scale something too small relative to the size of your screen, then resolution actually does start to matter since you will have fewer pixels to represent what you are actually seeing. Granted, on a 13" screen or smaller it can be hard to read smaller text at a high resolution natively, but this is easily alleviated by DPI scaling. The retina MBP is a great example of this. The effective display resolution in the 15" retina MBP is actually set to 1440 x 900 by default, which is the same in the MBA. However, since the native resolution is 2880 x 1800, you are getting much crisper text than on a normal 1440 x 900 screen (eg the MBA) at the same resolution. This actually has the effect of making documents of the same size easier to read on the retina display. There are many images with such a comparison currently floating around the internet if you are curious about what the difference actually looks like.

Oh, I've used the retina MBP. I honestly wasn't that impressed.

I guess a lot depends what you're working with, and most of my PDFs aren't high enough quality to notice the difference.

I've got 2 laptops and 3 desktops, and maintain several labs worth of computers (including a really nice triple 3D monitor station) but I just really don't find anything consistently that much more workable than my 11" air.

Thanks for the great post! I am also thinking about switching to the MBA from MBP for the portability.

Can you guys recommend a good external monitor? I did some searches and most of the recommended ones are really expensive ($700+). I was thinking about getting one that’s around @200-300. Is it worth investing a lot of money on a monitor? I know the Dell U2711 one comes up a lot but I don’t think I need the screen to be 27”, even though bigger the better.

Also, I realized that there is no Ethernet port on Macbook Air and I need one for my residence room. Would it be a good idea to get a docking station like LandingZone for extra USB ports? In general, what are people’s experiences with docking station for Macbook Air?

Thanks!

I bought an apple certified refurbished 13" air from the ebay refurbished outlet on ebay. There's speculation it's actually run by apple, but no proof. But anyways, they have a great rep, and the machines come with the full 1 year apple warranty and are eligible for apple care. Mine was $883 shipped and will be here Thursday. I went with the 4gb and will use an external for more space and for backup. They change up stock frequently, so if you're after a different macbook or ipad, just watch.

Thanks for the great post! I am also thinking about switching to the MBA from MBP for the portability.

Can you guys recommend a good external monitor? I did some searches and most of the recommended ones are really expensive ($700+). I was thinking about getting one that’s around @200-300. Is it worth investing a lot of money on a monitor? I know the Dell U2711 one comes up a lot but I don’t think I need the screen to be 27”, even though bigger the better.

Also, I realized that there is no Ethernet port on Macbook Air and I need one for my residence room. Would it be a good idea to get a docking station like LandingZone for extra USB ports? In general, what are people’s experiences with docking station for Macbook Air?

Thanks!

There is a $29 adaptor that turns the thunderbolt port into an Ethernet port. Also you can watch your local best buy for open box and clearance monitors. Sometimes they have some amazing deals. I was alerted to the deal for my air by subscribing to a slickdeals deal alert.

Edited by misskira

I have the Microsoft Surface Pro with Windows 8-- it is absolutely AMAZING.

It is? I've been considering it but have had concerns about the battery life and the size of the device; any thoughts?  At this point I'm torn between the Surface Pro or a higher end Samsung and the mid-level dockable tablets like the HP Envy, which have their advantages but don't pack the same power.

Just to add more fuel to the conversation - I currently own a base model 2011 11" MacBook Air and love it. Mainly because of the size of the thing - it's so damn easy to take around with you. It's also extremely durable. I carry mine at all times without even noticing it's in my backpack (it weighs a little over a kilogram). A few months after I got it, I was hit by a car while cycling and managed to roll over the car with my MBA in my backpack. Not a single scratch or dent!

I've had a look to see if I could find a similar ultrabook to replace it with since I want something with more RAM for when I start my Master's course (normally I use it in addition to my desktop at home) and none of the Windows ultrabooks seem comparable. They're all deficient in one aspect or another - either they cost more, the battery life is worse or they are heavier.

I'll most likely replace it with another 11" MacBook Air - this time going for the top end model. The portability is a massive positive for me - I cycle a lot, carrying a heavier laptop is just not going to cut it. I was considering the 13" retina MacBook Pro too but there have been many reports of significant display lag when using it - the built in Intel graphics aren't strong enough to push all those pixels. Do not want.

Also, note that it's likely the line is going to be refreshed in mid June again - this site gives an estimate of when you can expect a refresh.

(Oh yeah-  also a lot of people think the refreshed version will offer a Retina display too, e.g. here.)

People looking for monitors, check out some of these Korean monitors on eBay - they're QA rejected Apple Cinema screens (but still perfectly usable) and don't cost a whole lot more than much smaller screens.  I'm going to pick up one for myself. 

Edited by ssk2

my 2 cents... I went with a macbook air 13" and it works out great for me. I even edit basic films in iMovie (experimenting with ethnographic film). It's not the best, but if its portability and light weight really help, especially since I have to travel over the summer and winter breaks. When I really need something with a big, high resolution display I go to school and use their iMacs. 

Storage seems to be an issue for some people which is fair, but I use drop box and an external 1TB hard drive so I don't feel that I run out of room. It also forces me to purge and clean up on a regular basis. 

it all comes back to what you're using it for, and what works in your lifestyle and study choices (ie. coffee shops, libraries or at home). 

MBA and MBP wayyyyyyyyyyy over priced for the specs you get. Lenovo gives you the same computer, 300-400 dollars cheaper. In fact, everyone does it cheaper. Only paying that much for the name. Look at Lenovo U and Z series. 

Lenovo does not give you near the same computer.  Raw specs are not the whole story.  Apple build quality, sleekness, aesthetics, product service (Genius Bar), operating system efficiency etc. are just some of the benefits of Apple.  If those things don't matter to you, then a $300-400 cheaper pc should do just fine. 

The sleekness is all the same from Apple, Lenovo, Samsung, Acer, Asus now making ultrabooks/thingbooks. As for product service, I tend to my own pc/mac problems but Apple OS is pretty damn good. I'm giving an alternative suggestion other than MBP or MBA, as Lenovo (formerly IBM) was top notch with quality and most likely is in the PC market. 

MBA and MBP wayyyyyyyyyyy over priced for the specs you get. Lenovo gives you the same computer, 300-400 dollars cheaper. In fact, everyone does it cheaper. Only paying that much for the name. Look at Lenovo U and Z series. 

I realize I'm paying 300-400 more for the operating system, which any of the other computers listed can't provide.  Since I plan to use this computer for the next 3+ years, it seems worth it to me.

OP, I just purchased a 13" Macbook Pro Retina, and I LOVE it. Like, I'm emotionally invested in this thing.

I decided to go with Pro over Air, because I wanted 8gb of RAM, which comes standard with the Pro. If you get 8gb of RAM in the Air then you're up to the Pro price, so it makes sense to go that route. I plan on having this for a few years, so I wanted the extra RAM for future use.

If that doesn't matter to you, then I would definitely go Air. Also, don't forget about the educational discount that Apple offers. It's pretty decent.

As for Mac or PC, I've had PCs all my life, and now that I'm using a Mac, I don't think I can go back. The OS is awesome, and they are built to last. Apple products tend to stick around, IMO. I've had my iPhone for 2 years with no issues at all. No lag or random freezes.. Nothing. If this laptop is anything like my phone, then I'm one happy camper. And it makes that extra $300-400 so worth it if you're going to get a reliable machine that you can bet on lasting at least 4 years. 

I decided to go with Pro over Air, because I wanted 8gb of RAM, which comes standard with the Pro. If you get 8gb of RAM in the Air then you're up to the Pro price, so it makes sense to go that route. I plan on having this for a few years, so I wanted the extra RAM for future use.

Good point actually - bear in mind that the Air's RAM is fixed (i.e. soldered onto the motherboard) and is not user upgradeable. So go for the most you can afford if you want to future proof your Air. The SSDs can be upgraded but it's a pain and will work out more expensive than upgrading at time of purchase.

OP, I just purchased a 13" Macbook Pro Retina, and I LOVE it. Like, I'm emotionally invested in this thing.

If that doesn't matter to you, then I would definitely go Air. Also, don't forget about the educational discount that Apple offers. It's pretty decent.

As for Mac or PC, I've had PCs all my life, and now that I'm using a Mac, I don't think I can go back. The OS is awesome, and they are built to last. Apple products tend to stick around, IMO. I've had my iPhone for 2 years with no issues at all. No lag or random freezes.. Nothing. If this laptop is anything like my phone, then I'm one happy camper. And it makes that extra $300-400 so worth it if you're going to get a reliable machine that you can bet on lasting at least 4 years. 

The Macbook Pro Retina is a thing of absolute beauty! I went in the other direction though -- from the 2010 MacBook Pro 13" to the 2012 MacBook Air 13" (upgraded memory, but only 128gb of storage space)... the Pro was amazing, but the Air is superlative in every regard! It is light and beautiful with a long battery life -- and I am finding that 128gb is absolutely plenty -- but I do keep all of my photographs and iTunes library on an external hard drive (pretty cheap these days!)... You can definitely get a more powerful computer for your money by getting the Pro -- no doubt at *all* about that! -- but the Air's lightness won the day for me. After lugging the Pro around for a couple of years, it began to feel exactly like that -- lugging... with the Air, I never feel burdened down... it has been particularly good for travel for this reason! You really can't go wrong with Mac's superb laptops, I think... (oh -- by the way, I was a PC guy until I got my first MacBook too... don't think I can ever go back either! :)

During my four years of undergrad taking over TWICE the course load of any average student and keeping all the files for every assignment I've ever had to do and being excessively detailed with all of them...I was able to fit my entire undergrad folder (containing everything) in a free 1GB flash drive. So unless you have tons of VIDEOS, PHOTOS, or music, you should have no problem with storage.

It is? I've been considering it but have had concerns about the battery life and the size of the device; any thoughts?  At this point I'm torn between the Surface Pro or a higher end Samsung and the mid-level dockable tablets like the HP Envy, which have their advantages but don't pack the same power.

Battery life is somewhat disappointing --  approximately 4 hours (running programs). You get a bit more out of it if you are just reading email or surfing the net. I keep mine plugged in while at my desk on campus so it isnt usually an issue for me.

What I love about the Pro:   windows 8, which is kind of made for tablets/touch and much more intuitive once you learn it, portability (very light), can detach the keyboard if you want (there are various keyboards-- I got the kind with actual keys so it is just like typing on a regular keyboard), can use either the stylus OR a mouse (I purchased the bluetooth Microsoft wedge mouse, which is excellent), it learns your handwriting VERY well, you can write directly onto any document/pdf/powerpoint/whatever with precision, highlight, "lasso" and drag things to different places, and use different colored pens/highlighters-- it is just like writing on paper but you can erase and drag things. You can split the screen and look at two documents simultaneously. You can switch between a regular onscreen keyboard, an on screen split keyboard (easier to use your thumbs), or a "write to text" keyboard where you use the stylus and it recognizes your writing to turn it directly into text into a word document, email, etc. It is packed with power. It has a USB in its powercord so you can charge your phone or anything else with it. The load up, shut down is pretty much instant. There are other things I am sure that I am leaving out. I absolutely LOVE it.

Cons: one USB and the HDMI port is one of those small ones (like a mac), I bought a docking station (there is a variety of selections) so it isn't an issue for me anymore; 4 hour or so battery life, which will make it more difficult when I am on rounds and at the hospital.

I don't have many cons to contribute. I am quite biased though because I have never likes Mac products.

Edited by RxPhD

Good post. Most people here are really interested in MBA 13''. But I'm inclined to get a MBA 11'' for its smaller size

and perhaps greater portability. And it's cheaper! My needs are really basic: taking notes, writing papers, recording

lectures and surfing the net. And in a way, the 11'' is more like a Mac version of netbook and I've always wanted to get

something like that. Just curious why you guys are not considering the 11''?

@aricyo I'm not sure how you plan to write papers on an 11" Air.  You're extremely limited on screen real estate, so you would likely be unable to have a data file or even a safari page open while you're writing on Word.  Depending on your discipline, having only a Word doc on your screen may be okay, but I would find that a real problem. 

• 1 month later...

Do most people who own a macbook air also use a secondary system of some kind, like a desktop or whatever? Or does an Air fulfil all needs/purposes?

I'm actually considering spending the extra cash and getting an air instead of a lenovo thinkpad. The only other consideration is that I've only used windows so the adjustment to a new OS is a little worrying since I'm averse to change and not tech savy. 

Edited by Ambigiousbuthopeful

I have multiple computers (Air, several desktops). I mostly use the desktop(s) for home entertainment (media center) and gaming, as well as a windows PC at work for the few programs I need that only run on windows, and processor intensive modeling, or things I want to leave running for a few days un-interupted. 

Otherwise, my mac is perfectly fine for all other use. My wife just uses an 11" air, with no other computers. 

I have external hard drives. I've never run out of room on the internal hard drive, but I do have two externals in which I use to back up weekly. Unless it's important paper writing time. I had about 10 backups of my thesis available at all times. I was so paranoid, I was terrified that I was experience computer failure on my computer, my office computer, the two hard drives, and the entire internet.

So, even if 128 gig isn't, external storage exists.