Student Loans / Loan Forgiveness, etc.

Reapplying is the last thing I want to do. If I didn't get in anywhere, I definitely would but the fact that I did makes me feel extremely lucky. I'm commuting from home so it's not that bad, pretty comparable to other programs. GA positions are only for PhD students at NYU but I did get some work-study and I'll try to work part-time at my current job so I don't think it'll be that bad. I'm just really defensive now because whenever I mention being accepted by NYU, people would just say how expensive it is or how the program is apparently not great. It makes me sad to think I got accepted into a program that isn't great. I haven't seen anything like that being said about the other programs here so it makes wonder if it was all a mistake.

I hear things like that about almost every program- it's inevitable! Rumors are started for whatever reason (an upset grad student, someone who wasn't accepted, etc). Talk it over with your advisor and see if they know anything CONCRETE.

I am from NY, and I really haven't heard anything about the program not being great. Enjoy your success and don't worry until you know something factual. :)

Mystique every program has its ups and down its up to you to make the best of it hun dnt be discouraged my friend goes to nyu now and she is enjoying despite some times of its ups and down. I have friend sin other programs who say the same thing

I hear things like that about almost every program- it's inevitable! Rumors are started for whatever reason (an upset grad student, someone who wasn't accepted, etc). Talk it over with your advisor and see if they know anything CONCRETE.

I am from NY, and I really haven't heard anything about the program not being great. Enjoy your success and don't worry until you know something factual. :)

Thank you so much  :) My advisor isn't really in-field so he doesn't know specifics but he's the only one who has been really impressed. He sees NYU as a really great school and keeps telling me to just submit my deposit already

But he's also still in shock that I wasn't accepted elsewhere despite me telling him that it is REALLY competitive and my GPA is awful so I'm not sure if he understands the process of applying in the SLP field  :P

Mystique every program has its ups and down its up to you to make the best of it hun dnt be discouraged my friend goes to nyu now and she is enjoying despite some times of its ups and down. I have friend sin other programs who say the same thing

Thank you! You're the first person to mention knowing anyone who is actually attending NYU's program here and that makes me really excited! Like, this program actually exists and has students who applied and are studying there  :lol:

Reapplying is the last thing I want to do. If I didn't get in anywhere, I definitely would but the fact that I did makes me feel extremely lucky.

I'm commuting from home so it's not that bad, pretty comparable to other programs. GA positions are only for PhD students at NYU but I did get some work-study and I'll try to work part-time at my current job so I don't think it'll be that bad.

I'm just really defensive now because whenever I mention being accepted by NYU, people would just say how expensive it is or how the program is apparently not great. It makes me sad to think I got accepted into a program that isn't great. I haven't seen anything like that being said about the other programs here so it makes me wonder if it was all a mistake. I just don't understand how bad this program is if it has been accredited by ASHA for the past 20 years and it still has students applying and attending every year.

Personally, I feel really, really grateful to NYU for giving me a chance with my GPA. I want to attend even more because they somehow overlooked my terribly low overall of 3.28 and it's just hard to get excited when everyone else just keeps bringing up the negatives about this program to me.

I did one of my observations with a graduate of NYU and she really loved it, and she was doing her CFY at a great agency.  She was really positive and excited about the profession and great with the kids I saw her with - definitely someone I would want to have as a classmate!  

I agree, as long as the program is ASHA accredited, that's what matters :) The negative comments are probably coming from people who wish they could attend and are jealous! 

Mystique, I know a current NYU student who likes & recommends the program, and shadowed a NYU alum who also recommended the program! 

Thanks everyone!

It's really comforting to hear that some students recommend the program!  :) I am super excited to attend their event on Thursday now!

Don't despair, there's always another option.  If your student loan debt is crippling enough, you probably would qualify for the Income based 25 year repayment plan.  150000K student loan on a 70k salary would equal about 600 bucks a month in payment.  The payment goes up or down depending on how much money you made the previous year.  Plug your numbers in this calculator and see if you qualify.

http://studentaid.ed.gov/repay-loans/understand/plans/income-based

Mystique,

Just a thought, but what about 'accepting' at NYU, deferring for the year, and re-apply for next year. This would guarantee your spot at NYU as well as give you an opportunity to find a cheaper school (assuming the $ is going to stress you out...)

Just a thought...

Ee

Mystique,

Just a thought, but what about 'accepting' at NYU, deferring for the year, and re-apply for next year. This would guarantee your spot at NYU as well as give you an opportunity to find a cheaper school (assuming the $ is going to stress you out...)

Just a thought...

Ee

I wondered about that scenario, but I kind of have a feeling you're not supposed to apply to other schools while you're committed to one.  I'm not sure, and I don't really see how it matters as long as you paid your deposit, but something to keep in mind just in case that's how it is.

Mystique, Just a thought, but what about 'accepting' at NYU, deferring for the year, and re-apply for next year. This would guarantee your spot at NYU as well as give you an opportunity to find a cheaper school (assuming the $ is going to stress you out...) Just a thought... Ee
I believe NYU used to offer deferrals but not anymore :/ I wonder if it was because there were too many students or people took advantage of it and applied elsewhere..? Thanks for the advice! :)

• 1 year later...

So, I have been trying to figure out my loans for awhile, and I'm coming up with 80k, max...I'll be attending a state school in the California bay area and won't be working the entire time. Sooo, am I missing something crucial in what I'm going to have to be paying? Are we paying for the graduate fees AND certificate fees?

Hello everyone! I am in the same situation as all of you. On one hand I am terrified of debt and on the other I really want to go to the competitive and well-known program. Fortunately I have been accepted into multiple programs that give me options. On the low end I could graduate with around 30k in loans (tuition and living) at a school that has a good program but that I have no desire to go to. In the middle I have a school that is competitive, in an amazing city, has a great program, but isn't my top choice for 60k. At the top I have my dream school that has all of the bells and whistles and is known nationwide for being a great school... but it would be at least 100k in loans. I will be visiting the 3 schools this weekend to get a better feel for them and then make my decision but I think I am going to choose the middle option. Even though 60k is still a lot of debt, I feel like I would regret completely settling and going to a school I have no interest in. That being said, I am only 22 and I will be able to live on a strict budget for a while before I start a family.

For those of you who are concerned about mortgages, it is definitely something to consider! My father had a lot of student loans after law school and my parents had a hard time buying a house. Of course, eventually they were able to and my dad paid off his debt, but we had to live tight for a while.

Hello everyone! I am in the same situation as all of you. On one hand I am terrified of debt and on the other I really want to go to the competitive and well-known program. Fortunately I have been accepted into multiple programs that give me options. On the low end I could graduate with around 30k in loans (tuition and living) at a school that has a good program but that I have no desire to go to. In the middle I have a school that is competitive, in an amazing city, has a great program, but isn't my top choice for 60k. At the top I have my dream school that has all of the bells and whistles and is known nationwide for being a great school... but it would be at least 100k in loans. I will be visiting the 3 schools this weekend to get a better feel for them and then make my decision but I think I am going to choose the middle option. Even though 60k is still a lot of debt, I feel like I would regret completely settling and going to a school I have no interest in. That being said, I am only 22 and I will be able to live on a strict budget for a while before I start a family.

For those of you who are concerned about mortgages, it is definitely something to consider! My father had a lot of student loans after law school and my parents had a hard time buying a house. Of course, eventually they were able to and my dad paid off his debt, but we had to live tight for a while.

30k including living expenses?! What school is that? Sign me up.

You're young, and you do have more time to pay things off. However, you'll get a great job no matter where you go to school most likely. The school you went to isn't looked at as seriously in the SLP field, so keep that in mind too. By the time you're 27 you may want to be spending your extra money on YOU and traveling, etc. before settling down, and if you're still paying loans then you can't.

The only school I was accepted to was out of state and I was thinking of just becoming a resident after my first year and sticking around for a few years. I'm looking at 50k in tuition only for the whole two years in addition to the $40,000 for undergrad/postbac. That doesn't even cover living expenses, although I may get some help from my parents. Right now my only hope is to do the PSLF program and get my debt forgiven after 10 years.

Are you me?!!!

I am in the exact same position. I'm 23 and I have a low, middle, and high option. These schools are far away so I will be visiting them over the next 2 weekends. 

It has been giving me a lot of stress and anxiety.

To those that are saying "schools don't matter in SLP"... How do we know for sure? I know that at the end of the day, SLP is SLP. A hiring agency probably won't care. But what about more competitive places to work, such as the best hospitals or the best school districts? A top-notch program may give you an edge in getting the best jobs across the nation right out of graduate school, which sets you up for higher salaries your entire career.

That being said, we all have different money management styles and priorities. If you want to be the most cost effective, obviously go for the cheapest. But is that really the only and biggest factor? Hmmmm. Maybe, maybe not. These are not easy choices. 

EDIT: Forgot to mention - you don't want to be in crippling debt either!!! Oh lord. Every time I look at a big sticker price I have a heart attack.

Edited by Saila09

To those that are saying "schools don't matter in SLP"... How do we know for sure? I know that at the end of the day, SLP is SLP. A hiring agency probably won't care. But what about more competitive places to work, such as the best hospitals or the best school districts? A top-notch program may give you an edge in getting the best jobs across the nation right out of graduate school, which sets you up for higher salaries your entire career.

I have also been thinking about this a lot. I know you have to get X amount of hours across X areas to get certified. But it seems like just meeting those requirements wouldn't be enough to get you a job in a medical setting where you'll be providing critical services to a large variety of clients. 

For instance, would someone with little experience with swallowing disorders really be in the running for those jobs? I seriously doubt it. I'd like to hear other people's opinions, though!

I think there's a difference between "School rankings/big-names matter" and experiences mattering. I can see someone going to a lesser known school and going up against someone who went to a top-ranked school, and beating them out because they had a ton of knowledge in the area from a swallowing placement they did. Now, schools that are more respected are usually more respected for a reason: they have quality placements and connections as well as an excellent program. I think the point is that employers won't hire you just based on the school you went to. 

I'm not only worried about where I am going to get the best job based off of the "big name" of a school, I'm worried that the education at these lower priced/smaller schools is subpar compared to the education at the pricier programs. I don't want to compromise myself meeting my full potential as an SLP to simply just save money (although money plays a big factor and I would love to come out of this with barely any loans). I want to know that when I go into the working world I have all the knowledge I need & more because the faculty at my school supported that. That being said, I know all schools pretty much have the same curriculum because of ASHA standards, but still some teachers and clinical placements are better than others. Then, how do we even find this out unless we know a current student in or graduate of the program?

Deciding on which school to go to is making my mind go crazy... anyone else?

I'm not only worried about where I am going to get the best job based off of the "big name" of a school, I'm worried that the education at these lower priced/smaller schools is subpar compared to the education at the pricier programs. I don't want to compromise myself meeting my full potential as an SLP to simply just save money (although money plays a big factor and I would love to come out of this with barely any loans). I want to know that when I go into the working world I have all the knowledge I need & more because the faculty at my school supported that. That being said, I know all schools pretty much have the same curriculum because of ASHA standards, but still some teachers and clinical placements are better than others. Then, how do we even find this out unless we know a current student in or graduate of the program?

Deciding on which school to go to is making my mind go crazy... anyone else?

I feel the exact same way. I don't want to skimp on tuition and make it harder on myself to find a competitive hospital job, because the other two "cheap" (25, 30k) schools I'm looking at both have exactly ONE hospital nearby (yikes).

Yes, If i went to the cheap schools I would have a degree and would be able to find "A" job somewhere, but I want to be able to find the "Right"  job for me, and having a degree from bumfuck nowhere will probably make that a little harder. I'm looking at 60k in tuition, and I'm slowly coming around to accepting that i'll have to live lean for the first few years to pay them off quickly, but I WILL be able to pay them off because I'll be able to find a good job because I'll be trained by a good school with lots of resources/clinic opportunities. I also plan on working weekends/nights somewhere, maybe as a contract SLP, or hell i'll even wait tables for a little extra loan money, I don't really care. I see this as an investment in myself and my future.

You ever hear that saying "penny wise, pound foolish"? Essentially it means yeah, you're saving a little money now, but in the long run you'll lose out. That's whats making me feel a little better about grad school loans. 

So we're thinking the real issue is your qualification based on experiences and education. I don't think Ivy League or whatever else constitutes a "big name" matters much when it comes to SLP jobs (or at least it shouldn't).

But to me, it doesn't make sense to talk about highly ranked programs and "big-name" universities as if they're one in the same.

SLP grad school rankings reflect the quality of a specific program much more than the prestige of the university does. After all, those rankings aren't arbitrary. Chances are you're going to get a more broad, thorough education in a highly ranked program with the professors, connections, resources etc. that got it that rank, than you would in a lower ranked program.  

I think it's realistic that an employer would look at where a job candidate went to grad school and, seeing a well-respected/high-ranked program, make some assumptions about the quality of the education they received. Of course, a smart employer would go on to look at the rest of the application/candidate, and wouldn't throw someone out for not going to a school they recognized.

To answer your question ba23 – You can find out about placements by researching the program, which mostly means looking at their website. Most schools list (at least partially) the outplacements that are available to their grad students.

I feel the exact same way. I don't want to skimp on tuition and make it harder on myself to find a competitive hospital job, because the other two "cheap" (25, 30k) schools I'm looking at both have exactly ONE hospital nearby (yikes).

Yes, If i went to the cheap schools I would have a degree and would be able to find "A" job somewhere, but I want to be able to find the "Right"  job for me, and having a degree from bumfuck nowhere will probably make that a little harder. I'm looking at 60k in tuition, and I'm slowly coming around to accepting that i'll have to live lean for the first few years to pay them off quickly, but I WILL be able to pay them off because I'll be able to find a good job because I'll be trained by a good school with lots of resources/clinic opportunities. I also plan on working weekends/nights somewhere, maybe as a contract SLP, or hell i'll even wait tables for a little extra loan money, I don't really care. I see this as an investment in myself and my future.

You ever hear that saying "penny wise, pound foolish"? Essentially it means yeah, you're saving a little money now, but in the long run you'll lose out. That's whats making me feel a little better about grad school loans. 

This made me laugh. LOL.

I think facilities and training (research and clinical) are huge factors to consider. I don't even think Ivy Leagues have SLP programs, so that's not really what people are saying. In SLP, the "big names" = "highly ranked" = "well-reputed" = "assumed to have better training" from what I understand. It doesn't matter in the university at large is highly ranked - but the SLP department itself.

As always, the student and the school both matter. A sucky student at a better program may not learn as much as an excellent student at a sucky setting. Connections, fit, funding, all matter. Lots of factors to consider.

Good luck to everyone making these tough choices.

I, for one, feel lucky to be able to pick between excellent programs. :)

Edited by Saila09

So, do we feel it is a good idea to put off school for a year and work and save money...? I could probably save up at least 10,000 if I put off going to a post bacc program to fall 2016 instead of this fall. I'm 25 years old, though. So... just getting older over here  :mellow:

I wonder if in the long run I'll be making more money sooner, so I'll be able to pay off the loan anyways, or if I'll be better off working and delaying my degree so I can take out a smaller loan. Any input/opinions?

I wonder if in the long run I'll be making more money sooner, so I'll be able to pay off the loan anyways, or if I'll be better off working and delaying my degree so I can take out a smaller loan. Any input/opinions?

I would think the loss of a year of career earnings would negate any money you'd be able to save up in a year of working.