How does this look for graduate school applications?

psychmeout

Hi everyone,

Do you think this is good enough for acceptance into Ph.D programs in clinical psychology (I'm currently an undergrad junior studying psychology in my spring semester at Adelphi University).

GRE: 1050

Psych GRE: 640

Overall GPA: 3.48

Psychology GPA: 3.64

Research Experience: Autism Traits, Cognitive/perceptual deficits and Genetic Susceptibility in College Students; developmental course case study; behavior disorders course case study.

Clinical Experience: Board Member for Community Alliance for the Ethical Treatment of Youth; internship

Certifications: First Aid, CPR, Psychological First Aid

Research Interests: PTSD and restraint in private residential care programs, the efficacy of psychotherapy as a supplement to treatment of lysosomal storage diseases

Sample of psychology courses I've taken: psychological research, practicum in clinical psychology, neuropsychology, psychoanalysis, psychological statistics, developmental psychology, psychopathology, social psychology, behavior disorders in childhood.

Recommendations: One professor, my research advisor and the executive director of the human rights organization I'm on the board of.

The GRE scores I put on there are hypothetical. I made them lower than I expect to receive on purpose, as to give me and idea of what my minimum threshold was. I take the psychology subject GRE April 20th and the General GRE most likely in June.

"Psychmeout,"

Hello!  I represent The School of Professional Psychology at Forest Institute in Springfield, MO.  I came across your post, and I'd be happy to talk with you about the qualifications necessary for admission into our PsyD in Clinical Psychology doctoral program.  You can reach me at (417) 823-3477; please let the receptionist know we've been in communication through this forum, and ask to speak to an Admissions Counselor regarding this.

Thanks!

"Psychmeout,"

Hello! I represent The School of Professional Psychology at Forest Institute in Springfield, MO. I came across your post, and I'd be happy to talk with you about the qualifications necessary for admission into our PsyD in Clinical Psychology doctoral program. You can reach me at (417) 823-3477; please let the receptionist know we've been in communication through this forum, and ask to speak to an Admissions Counselor regarding this.

Thanks!

I will definitely consider it and I will call (really busy day today), but I'm still really not quite sold on the Psy.D. Plus, although my primary goal is clinical practice, I would like to do more research than Psy.D graduates usually look to do. I'm also highly psychodynamic/psychoanalytic and also have a strong interest in behavioral genetics, as well as neuroscientific research applications to clinical practice in areas such as neuropsychoanalysis and cognitive neurophysiology. If your program does have those criteria and I can learn to swallow the idea of a Psy.D, I will most certainly put it on my list of schools.

This is where I am working on my undergraduate studies:

http://derner.adelphi.edu/about/index.php

I will definitely consider it and I will call (really busy day today), but I'm still really not quite sold on the Psy.D. Plus, although my primary goal is clinical practice, I would like to do more research than Psy.D graduates usually look to do. I'm also highly psychodynamic/psychoanalytic and also have a strong interest in behavioral genetics, as well as neuroscientific research applications to clinical practice in areas such as neuropsychoanalysis and cognitive neurophysiology. If your program does have those criteria and I can learn to swallow the idea of a Psy.D, I will most certainly put it on my list of schools.

What's not to be sold on?? From bjacque's program, you'll be over 120,000 dollars in debt, have a degree from an unaccredited program (errg...excuse me...on probation from the APA), and not be able to find an internship.  Fun huh??  Oh...and a 14% APA accredited internship placement last year 

Edited by LucidMind

What's not to be sold on?? From bjacque's program, you'll be over 120,000 dollars in debt, have a degree from an unaccredited program (errg...excuse me...on probation from the APA), and not be able to find an internship.  Fun huh??  Oh...and a 14% APA accredited internship placement last year 

What Lucid said!

GRE: 1050

Psych GRE: 640

Overall GPA: 3.48

Psychology GPA: 3.64

Research Experience: Autism Traits, Cognitive/perceptual deficits and Genetic Susceptibility in College Students; developmental course case study; behavior disorders course case study.

Clinical Experience: Board Member for Community Alliance for the Ethical Treatment of Youth; internship

Certifications: First Aid, CPR, Psychological First Aid

Research Interests: PTSD and restraint in private residential care programs, the efficacy of psychotherapy as a supplement to treatment of lysosomal storage diseases

Sample of psychology courses I've taken: psychological research, practicum in clinical psychology, neuropsychology, psychoanalysis, psychological statistics, developmental psychology, psychopathology, social psychology, behavior disorders in childhood.

Recommendations: One professor, my research advisor and the executive director of the human rights organization I'm on the board of.

How does everything else look?

The GRE you project is quite low, I would say you need at least 200 points higher to be at all competitive (this is not the new scale though, so I'm not sure what that would translate to now).  The psych GRE score is kind of eh.  It's not bad but it's not a super strong showing of knowledge. If it wasn't required, I wouldn't submit it.  Overall GPA isn't bad, psych GPA isn't bad, but Clinical is really competitive, so anything you can do to get your grades up will help.  If you ace the rest of your psych classes that should help with both.  I can't imagine schools caring about first aid certifications and you should make sure to have 3 professors able to give you a rec.  The first time I applied, I didn't know a third professor that well, so I ended up getting one to write a rec that could speak to a weak point on my application which worked well.  Since you are still in school, I would try to develop relationships with clinical professors now.  It's good that you're starting early with your school search and that you have an idea of what you would like to study.  I would say your next steps are to develop a relationship with a professor who can write you a third LOR, study for the GRE and aim as high as possible, continue to get good grades and make sure you are getting As in psych, look for programs with a good research fit and don't accept any admissions offers that you didn't apply for (or that are just posted on a grad school forum).

Edited by JungWild&Free

I would re-consider.

http://www.news-leader.com/article/20120518/NEWS04/305180038/Forest-Institute-Missouri-State-University-possible-merger-Springfield

http://articles.ky3.com/2012-10-05/forest-institute_34285088

So, they would have had to raise tuition drastically before the possible MSU merger (see first article; because $750/credit hour is cheap???? http://www.forest.edu/resources/1/Forms/Fee_Schedule_12_13_SGF.pdf). Notice the merger did not happen, per the second article. So.... how much is it going to cost now? Aside from the whole on-probation thing being awful for one's job prospects.

STUDY. Get better GRE scores. The GPA is not completely out of line - mine was a 3.53. Also, research experience, if you can.