Extracurriculars in Grad School?

Something that's been concerning me lately. Obviously grad school takes up the majority of one's time, but do any of you current antendees ever have time for those extra things you like to do (i.e. musical instruments, art, sports, theatre?) If so, when do you have the time and what do you like to do?

Something that's been concerning me lately. Obviously grad school takes up the majority of one's time, but do any of you current antendees ever have time for those extra things you like to do (i.e. musical instruments, art, sports, theatre?) If so, when do you have the time and what do you like to do?

laughing-hysterically.gif

All kidding aside, I'm someone who is always arguing that you have to force yourself not to be all grad school, all the time. (In part, that's an argument against joining every academic group and committee, which I think is a mistake.) I know some people are into their fitness classes, and we have groups devoted to gaming and such. I personally need my free time to remain unstructured so that I don't have regular things on the schedule outside of school, but I'm sure some people do those sorts of things. One question for people at schools is how much crossover there is between different departments and disciplines. In my experience, at most schools, not very much at all.

I've learned in grad school that you have as much time as you make. With good time management, I have managed to do all my coursework, work out (run, swim, bike, weight train) about 3 hours a day, join a once a week softball league, spend time with my significant other... in short, you learn how to make time. It's not that hard.

Does having 5 kids count as extracurricular activities ;)   While I got my masters I took care of the kids (took evening classes), served on the nursery school board, served on the elementary board, and was room mother for two classrooms.  I agree 100 % about the time management thing.  I feel like I actually get so much more done now because I don't waste much time (except right now when I should be writing and am browsing this forum :blink:). 

I always make time to do non-academic things. Sometimes I will hang out with other master's students before or after class (this usually involves getting food and/or drinks depending on the day and time). I'm also involved with a couple campus orgs, which helps with meeting people outside my department. I try to go to the movies at least a couple times a month (as long as there's something that interests me playing). Now that the weather's getting nicer, I'll likely get back into taking walks and such. There's always some sort of event happening on campus or near campus, so I try to hit those up when I can. I think I went to almost all the home basketball games and most of the football games this year :D.

I've always been curious about fencing, so I'd like to explore opportunities for that at Yale. Not sure yet if my SO wants in on that too, but if she does, great! And I'd like us both to take dance lessons. Formal/ballroom type. I can't dance the "nightclub" way, but I'm interested in formal lessons. 

Other than that, regular gym/swimming. I have some thoughts about being active in graduate student government, as well. 

I've always been curious about fencing, so I'd like to explore opportunities for that at Yale. Not sure yet if my SO wants in on that too, but if she does, great! And I'd like us both to take dance lessons. Formal/ballroom type. I can't dance the "nightclub" way, but I'm interested in formal lessons. 

Other than that, regular gym/swimming. I have some thoughts about being active in graduate student government, as well. 

Fencing is a great way to resolve disputes with your SO.

You'll probably hear this from a lot of other people too, but it's true: Grad school will take as much of your time as you will let it. In undergrad, we usually had "signposts" or milestones that let us know when work was over and it was time for spending time on ourselves. For example, finishing all the assignments, finishing exams, a long weekend, etc. That doesn't happen in grad school, there's always more work to be done! More papers to read, more experiments to try, more things to think about. In order to not go insane, you need to set firm limits with yourself! Obviously, the more work you do, the more productive you'll be, which is a good thing. But eventually, you will be paying for the productivity with your other interests and responsibilities.

When I was in my MSc program, I was involved in monthly observatory outreach programs, working with/for the TA Union on campus, private tutoring, and fencing! Fencing was a big commitment, I joined the recreational club, but we practiced with the varsity team so it was 8-10 hours a week (4 practices). I was only able to fence in my last semester though, when I had no more coursework. I also tried to take all my weekends off to spend time with my spouse, do chores, go on mini trips etc. I was able to do this until the final summer, when I wanted to finish writing my thesis.

Now, in my PhD program, the first year has an insane workload (but later years are much easier). I haven't really had time to do anything other than go to the gym sporadically, hang out with friends and take one day off a week (instead of a full weekend). But when the majority of my coursework is finished (by June), I should have time to do some extra fun things. I would really like to do some public outreach stuff but I'm not certain which route I'll go yet! The older grad students and profs here are able to do a lot of other things -- coaching sports, playing in the band, conducting the band, act in the school's theatre productions etc. 

That's a relief to hear. As passionate as I am about academic research in rhetoric, I am very committed to my endeavors in playwriting and musical theatre as well. While I'm sure I won't have as much time for these as I do now, it's comforting to know that graduate school won't completely cancel out the artistic part of my life.

Just remember: some people in grad school want to be the Platonic ideal of a grad student; some people want to go on to become professors. You'll be surprised how many of the former there are. Don't join any committees or groups or whatever unless a) you really genuinely want to do them for their own sake or B) you can articulate a clear way in which they advance your professional academic career.

Just remember: some people in grad school want to be the Platonic ideal of a grad student; some people want to go on to become professors. You'll be surprised how many of the former there are. Don't join any committees or groups or whatever unless a) you really genuinely want to do them for their own sake or B) you can articulate a clear way in which they advance your professional academic career.

I had the impression that a few grad school service position/committee member type things were good for the CV--if not I will mos def skip them, so if you're giving me permission to do that please confirm now!

I had the impression that a few grad school service position/committee member type things were good for the CV--if not I will mos def skip them, so if you're giving me permission to do that please confirm now!

Oh, it's good to do a couple things, for sure. Just recognize that there are sharply diminishing returns. A committee or two, a position or two, that's fine. But a long list of service positions on your CV isn't going to do anything more for you than one or two. And that time has to come from somewhere, and you need to be publishing. Publications is the first round of cuts.

I exercise, go to plays, hike, and do nature and theater photography (my fiance is an actor and playwright; I'm the photographer for his theater group). 

Making time for exercise has not only kept me physically healthier, but helped me stay sane and not totally over-stressed during school, too.

• 4 weeks later...

Training for a half-marathon has saved me yet again this spring. There are actually several people in my department running the same race, so we compare notes and share tips and stuff at lunch which can be fun. I also go running with a girl from an adjacent department. I'd say it's been absolutely crucial to my mental and physical health this term - I didn't have any regular activity outside of school last term and it was bad news.

Edited by antecedent

Training for a half-marathon has saved me yet again this spring. There are actually several people in my department running the same race, so we compare notes and share tips and stuff at lunch which can be fun. I also go running with a girl from an adjacent department. I'd say it's been absolutely crucial to my mental and physical health this term - I didn't have any regular activity outside of school last term and it was bad news.

Right on! I signed up for a half marathon in my new city. It's not til October, but I have lots of work to get myself back to that shape again. Like you, forcing myself to run regularly has been a beautiful gift to my mind, body, and soul. 

Bumping this. I'm doing club crew and possibly rugby as well. I can't function without something active in my life.

I've always wanted to try rugby. It looks like tons of fun. It really appeals to me through the physical nature of the game and, of course, the copious amount of beer traditionally consumed post-match. Unfortunately, my geographic area does not have much to say for the sport.