Fall 2014

NOWAYNOHOW

Hello everyone, I am also preparing myself for this application season. I did my undergrad and masters in anthropology. My research interests are primate evolution and primate cognition and communication.

For now, I think I will be applying to University of Toronto, USC, North Illinois University, Max Planck School of Human Evolution and I am also thinking about applying to two psychology programs which do primate research. NYU program seems really great, but I think that might be a bit out of my reach.

If you have any suggestions for schools, would appreciate them!

Nice to meet you all and good luck with your applications  :)

Washoe: just wanted to say I love your username & profile picture!

Imaya: if UCD doesn't end up being a good fit, check out CSU Chico. They're M.A.-only, & some of their professors & students are doing some seriously cool work; they collaborate with UCD folks as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all-

I am applying for Fall 2014 anthro programs with specialties in medical anthropology. I am just gearing up to start contacting potential supervisors (I think I'm late but no one else I know has started yet) and I'm starting to get a little nervous. Basically I'm concerned about "fit", and my grades and just getting in, in general. I'm applying to schools in Canada and UK including UToronto, Alberta, McMaster, Oxford, maybe Brunel. I'm terrified of applying to the UK schools but I think I'd regret it if I didn't. My safety school is my alma mater where I'm currently doing some grad work as a special student and the faculty knows me really well. While that's great and all, they don't have a med anthro specialty, which would be fine if it wasn't for the there is only one faculty member who studies med anthro and the fit isn't quite there.

As well, I'm still trying to pin down what I want to study, my interests, due to my background and natural curiosity are very broad :D  Too many things interest me, so I'm trying to narrow down my research interests while still keeping an open mind. I really want this whole application business to be a positive experience and it has been so far...I'm trying to think of it as just another adventure in post-secondary life.  :)

Welcome circus! I can really relate to ver broad interests. My main interest is very disciplinary and although it is a really specific area, it is basically a cross between physical anthropology, cognitive sciences, archaeology and evolutionary biology. Finding the right fit is difficult, and I imagine writing my SOP will be doubly so :D I'm really glad I found grad cafe, though, it definitely helps, seeing that others are fretting over the applications as much as I am and hearing from grads who have been through the whole process (and lived to tell the tale) 

Hi!

I just thought I would throw out a new program that fits with some of your interests (especially backlash). University of Notre Dame is just starting their PhD program in Anthro and they have fantastic faculty working on a variety of issues - but many with a focus on war/violence/peace (Carolyn Nordstrom and Cynthia Mahmood) - in that realm there is also a joint PhD in peace studies and anthropology at Notre Dame. I've started this year (a bit early) in the joint program and love it - brings many of my interests together. YOu can apply to both the joint and just anthro and that gives a bit more possibilities of getting in. From the Anthro: http://anthropology.nd.edu/

from the peace studies side: http://kroc.nd.edu/

funding is great and support from faculty so far has been really impressive.

• 2 weeks later...

How many schools are people applying to? I have about 12 different schools that I'm looking it (for Anthropology and MES), but it feels excessive. Thoughts?

12 is a lot, if only because it will cost an awful lot of money to apply. I started out with about a dozen programs when I was applying, too, but I whittled it down by making an Excel spreadsheet. That allowed me to easily visualize clear shortcomings & create "rankings" for different factors, such as financial aid, location, or the research focuses of professors I was interested in working with. I also tried the "coin toss" method with schools I was iffy about: I'm make an iffy program heads, then another random program from my list tails. If I was disappointed by getting heads no matter what the other program was, then it got nixed. That was my way of making sense of my "gut feelings" about program fit.

I think I got down to 7 by the end of it, & honestly, I probably could've made it 5, but I was worried that my mediocre undergrad GPA would screw me over (it didn't), so I found safety & sanity in numbers.

How many schools are people applying to? I have about 12 different schools that I'm looking it (for Anthropology and MES), but it feels excessive. Thoughts?

I have a lot on my spreadsheet -- over 15, but I know I have to cut some off the list.  I'm concerned because I am geographically limited and also coming from outside the discipline, so I feel like I have to apply to ALL the schools within a reasonable distance.  I am going to try and cut it down to 12, because I'm not sure about fit and my ability to juggle so many apps!  Still, I don't think 12 is excessive.  With funding being the way it is, and schools taking very few students from large applicant pools, why take a chance on 5 when you can increase your odds with 12?  It costs more to apply, but if your goal (like mine) is to be SOMEWHERE by fall, then it might take that many applications...

Hello everyone, I am also preparing myself for this application season. I did my undergrad and masters in anthropology. My research interests are primate evolution and primate cognition and communication.

For now, I think I will be applying to University of Toronto, USC, North Illinois University, Max Planck School of Human Evolution and I am also thinking about applying to two psychology programs which do primate research. NYU program seems really great, but I think that might be a bit out of my reach.

If you have any suggestions for schools, would appreciate them!

Nice to meet you all and good luck with your applications  :)

Hey! I sent you a PM :) I think we have similar interests ..

First time applicant as well, in the process of working on apps for fall 2014.  Trying to stay within the San Diego area because that's where my fiance's work is and I have already lived far away from him during my undergrad.  My primary focus is biological anthropology.  I'm especially interested in paleoanthropology, paleopathology, and human osteology.  Really want to work on some diet and lifestyle/health reconstruction of Pleistocene hominin populations.  

UCSD is the school I REALLY want to go to, but I'm very doubtful of my chances.  I actually posted a separate thread with my credentials hoping to see what my chances were.  I have no idea what I'm doing.  

I would love to expand my search, but like I said my fiance is there so I really can't go too far.  I'm planning to apply to UCSD, SDSU, UC Riverside (my second choice), and CSU Fullerton.  Maybe UCLA?  I probably won't get accepted, but I'll try.  UCSD just has the best program for what I want to do and is in the most convenient area, so it's my top choice.

I have a lot on my spreadsheet -- over 15, but I know I have to cut some off the list.  I'm concerned because I am geographically limited and also coming from outside the discipline, so I feel like I have to apply to ALL the schools within a reasonable distance.  I am going to try and cut it down to 12, because I'm not sure about fit and my ability to juggle so many apps!  Still, I don't think 12 is excessive.  With funding being the way it is, and schools taking very few students from large applicant pools, why take a chance on 5 when you can increase your odds with 12?  It costs more to apply, but if your goal (like mine) is to be SOMEWHERE by fall, then it might take that many applications...

12 is a lot, if only because it will cost an awful lot of money to apply. I started out with about a dozen programs when I was applying, too, but I whittled it down by making an Excel spreadsheet. That allowed me to easily visualize clear shortcomings & create "rankings" for different factors, such as financial aid, location, or the research focuses of professors I was interested in working with. I also tried the "coin toss" method with schools I was iffy about: I'm make an iffy program heads, then another random program from my list tails. If I was disappointed by getting heads no matter what the other program was, then it got nixed. That was my way of making sense of my "gut feelings" about program fit.

I think I got down to 7 by the end of it, & honestly, I probably could've made it 5, but I was worried that my mediocre undergrad GPA would screw me over (it didn't), so I found safety & sanity in numbers.

I definitely see both sides to it and I find safety in numbers just because of the statistical comfort - I really don't want to have to reapply. Another reason why I am applying to so many is because I am applying to different programs and some of the same schools, so while the school list isn't enormous, there are several programs. My boyfriend is currently doing interviews for medical school and we are trying to apply to as many overlapping cities as possible to increase our chances of being near one another. That said, The schools on my list are not only there because of geographic preference, but also because I think they would be good fits. I think if I can get it down to 10 (maybe using the coin toss method you mentioned, pears) then I will feel a bit better. 

I definitely see both sides to it and I find safety in numbers just because of the statistical comfort - I really don't want to have to reapply. Another reason why I am applying to so many is because I am applying to different programs and some of the same schools, so while the school list isn't enormous, there are several programs. My boyfriend is currently doing interviews for medical school and we are trying to apply to as many overlapping cities as possible to increase our chances of being near one another. That said, The schools on my list are not only there because of geographic preference, but also because I think they would be good fits. I think if I can get it down to 10 (maybe using the coin toss method you mentioned, pears) then I will feel a bit better. 

the coin-toss helps! hindsight is 20/20, but in the case of my applications, i think that slaving for weeks over my personal statement & having probably 5 different people read it (2, who have both earned their PhDs, gave me fantastic, detailed feedback without removing my "voice" from it, so to speak) gave me a lot more safety than my numbers did. having very strong GRE scores to offset my crummy GPA probably helped, as did a trio of strong LoRs (2 were professional, & did an excellent job of translating my work ethic & attitude to my potential as a grad student).

in sum, i would say there might be more safety in "quality" than "quantity," but that's only based on my own experiences. it may differ according to your own materials & programs of choice.

Hey, everyone. I will be applying to grad programs for the Fall 2014 semester. I don't have too many schools on my list: UofA (my 1st choice) and UNM. I had thought of applying to Cal (I completed my undergrad there) but I can't stomach the cost of living. My interest is in Southwest Archaeology and trade. I've actually been out of school for awhile (since 2006) but I'm itching to go back.

I just took my GRE and hit my target verbal score. I am so relieved! I took it 10 years ago and timed out before I could finish. I was so nervous because back then I was too poor to retake it. I have been doing a happy dance this weekend. :) 

To get some discussion going:

What do you ask your POIs when (or if) you contact them?  Do you feel as awkward as I do knowing that it is primarily a formality?  Sure, sometimes there are legit questions not answered by department websites, or sometimes profs will ask potential students to contact them, but most of the time I feel a little silly.

I generally like to ask if the specific area I am working in is growing within the department, and whether certain resources outside the department (generally things related to the medical school and schools of public health) are available for grad students.  I've found those to be good questions -- generally I get very direct answers (e.g. this year's cohort was 3/8 your area, we are planning to expand work in that subject, etc) and it doesn't feel like a fluffy conversation.

Thoughts?

I'm not planning on contacting any POIs. I've done quite a bit of research by reading the Anthropology Department's website for UofA and I've read either journal articles written by the professors or in their area of interest. I have no real questions and so emailing/calling them seems disingenuous (for me) but I'm weird about networking type stuff. That being said, I still have to research NMU and ASU. If a genuine question or concern comes up, I will be sure to email someone. 

Edited by Anne00

^ I think it's a good idea to contact them even if you don't have any really specific questions. It helps to get your name on the radar and shows initiative. Last year, I contacted my (now) adviser just expressing interesting, giving my background, and simply asking if he was taking students for the next year. That one e-mail started a long e-mail communication between us, and ultimately benefited me. That being said, everywhere is different and other POIs I contacted only responded with a simple short response with a yes or no if they were taking students.

I still have to research ... ASU

if you do end up contacting ASU, will you shoot a message my way about whom you talked with & how it went? i'm really interested in their PhD program, but i'm in an MA program right now, & i have major "nerd crushes" on a lot of their faculty, but no idea what their personalities are like. i'm intimidated & looking for some schmoozing advice. :P

To get some discussion going:

What do you ask your POIs when (or if) you contact them?  Do you feel as awkward as I do knowing that it is primarily a formality?  Sure, sometimes there are legit questions not answered by department websites, or sometimes profs will ask potential students to contact them, but most of the time I feel a little silly.

I generally like to ask if the specific area I am working in is growing within the department, and whether certain resources outside the department (generally things related to the medical school and schools of public health) are available for grad students.  I've found those to be good questions -- generally I get very direct answers (e.g. this year's cohort was 3/8 your area, we are planning to expand work in that subject, etc) and it doesn't feel like a fluffy conversation.

Thoughts?

I think it's a really good way to get into their "radar" for when they actually take a look at the applications. Also, if you have someone you'd really like to work with, you should ask if they will be around (maybe they'll be out doing research and whatnot) or maybe they can't take in any new advisees. If that's the case then those schools might not even be worth applying to, but that's up to you.

if you do end up contacting ASU, will you shoot a message my way about whom you talked with & how it went? i'm really interested in their PhD program, but i'm in an MA program right now, & i have major "nerd crushes" on a lot of their faculty, but no idea what their personalities are like. i'm intimidated & looking for some schmoozing advice. :P

I am no one to give shmoozing advice :) I hate, hate, hate cold calling/emailing people. That being said, I looked at ASU's page yesterday and it seems they warmly encourage you to get in contact with faculty about research interests. I don't think you should be too intimidated. However, if I contact anyone, I'll be happy to let you know how it went to ease your nerves. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, I'm so happy to have you all to turn to during this process!

This is my first time applying (see schools in signature, ranked by choice). I am interested in Viking Age/North Atlantic archaeology and a few specific topics: household archaeology, environmental adaptation, and culture contact.

As for POIs: I've contacted two profs thus far. For both, I detailed my research interests, discussed how they paralleled with theirs, and actually asked what they thought. One POI responded very graciously and actually expressed interest; the other has not responded at all. I will probably go with something simpler for the rest of my POIs since these e-mails eat up a lot of time that I don't have! A past professor actually recommended that I do something along the lines of what mp429 suggested above.

Hi everyone! Nice to meet all of you! I'm new to GradCafe, and I'm also applying for the Fall 2014 season! My specialty is biological anthropology and my broad interests are in animal social behavior, communication, and cognition, mostly in primates. I also have a research background in primate feeding behavior. So it sounds like my interests are in the same area as Washoe and mp429! I have a pretty long list of schools that I'm looking at right now, but I'm in the process of narrowing that down much further. I'm aiming for a PhD program, but I'm also applying to some Master's programs just in case. 

Hi everyone, I'm so happy to have you all to turn to during this process!

This is my first time applying (see schools in signature, ranked by choice). I am interested in Viking Age/North Atlantic archaeology and a few specific topics: household archaeology, environmental adaptation, and culture contact.

As for POIs: I've contacted two profs thus far. For both, I detailed my research interests, discussed how they paralleled with theirs, and actually asked what they thought. One POI responded very graciously and actually expressed interest; the other has not responded at all. I will probably go with something simpler for the rest of my POIs since these e-mails eat up a lot of time that I don't have! A past professor actually recommended that I do something along the lines of what mp429 suggested above.

Have you contacted anyone at CUNY (I'm assuming Hunter) yet? Dr. McGovern is so nice & friendly, & I think some of his work is really cool. It didn't start popping up for me until I began my first semester of grad school, when all of my new courses moved in roughly chronological order, beginning with the late Pleistocene & early Holocene. He's a great point of contact for CUNY/Hunter. :)