Fall 2014

NOWAYNOHOW

In the name of procrastination (so many term papers!), who else is preparing to apply in the fall?  Is this your first time at the rodeo?  What's your specialty?  What's your top choice?  What is your favorite color? 

Let's get to know each other, because it's going to be a long year. 

In the name of procrastination (honors thesis :wacko: ), I too will chime in. I'm looking for Phd programs in anthropology (archaeology). I'm really interested in Andean archaeology. I'm not sure exactly sure which schools are within my reach and I'd appreciate any kind of information from people with experience in this area. My list so far is: UCLA, UCSB, Vanderbilt and Tulane. 

In the name of procrastination (so many term papers!), who else is preparing to apply in the fall?  Is this your first time at the rodeo?  What's your specialty?  What's your top choice?  What is your favorite color? 

Let's get to know each other, because it's going to be a long year. 

I plan to apply for Fall 2014. This round will be my second. Top choice is a top secret (OK, nahh -- I'm currently evaluating my options :wub: ). Favorite color? (Haha!) Robin egg blue.

Also, I am highly curious, NOWAYNOHOW, that you are looking into MIT's PhD program HASTS! While on the surface it may not appear a fit for me, it might actually just be (given my interests in history of technology and material culture). Which of the major research areas are you thinking of studying? Have you looked into any potential advisors?

Also, I am highly curious, NOWAYNOHOW, that you are looking into MIT's PhD program HASTS! While on the surface it may not appear a fit for me, it might actually just be (given my interests in history of technology and material culture). Which of the major research areas are you thinking of studying? Have you looked into any potential advisors?

ArtHistoryandMuseum, I am SO in love with the HASTS program! I know it is a stretch and they take very few students, but if I didn't apply I couldn't live with myself. I am a big fan of Natasha Shull's work, and would be overjoyed to work with her. I am currently building an MA thesis that engages both biomedicine and technology in a way that is somewhat dissimilar subject-wise, but not unlike Schull's most recent book methodologically (though her ethnography is much broader and culled from a much longer span of time). I also admire her exploration of values in design across tech and neuroscience...

I also can see myself working well under Jean Jackson (she has recently turned to chronic pain and illness) and John Durant (who works on the public understanding of science and scientific controversies).

Do you have any particular faculty or subjects in mind?

Edited by NOWAYNOHOW

NOHOWNOWAY, I am SO happy you are in love! I'm definitely familiar with John Durant from the museum world. He's the director of MIT Museum. A very curious site indeed for "public learning of science", as the MIT Museum is not primarily for children (a la "science center"), but actually for adults, Unrelated to his research and his directorship duties, he's also the founder of Cambridge Science Festival http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/10/science/mits-john-durant-a-cheerleader-for-science.html?pagewanted=all I hope that continues as I heard the cancellation for some events following the MIT shooting...

As for particular faculty in mind at MIT, I afraid that I am not as far along as you, and I'm still at the beginning of my research. There is exciting research for sure at HASTS, but upon closer look, MIT's HTC (history, theory, and criticism) may actually be a better research fit for me with its two focuses: American art and architecture, and history of preservation (connoisseurship, and collecting). With a background that I have interpreting 17th-20th American art/artifacts, and art movements (aligned with: histories of collecting), the work of Kristel Smentek appeals greatly to me.....   

So, I'm thinking that the best way forward for me to work in this kind of research is that I should really obtain some experience in an auction house, or have some formal training in connoisseurship. I also need to get my hands on some of Smentek's work or lectures, so I can see if there are appropriate fits across the board.

Again, exactly like you said: I know it is a bit of stretch and I imagine HTC takes few students, but if I didn't consider it... I couldn't live with myself. I couldn't say it better (-:

Cheers for application research for Fall 2014!

ArtHistoryandMuseum, I am SO in love with the HASTS program! I know it is a stretch and they take very few students, but if I didn't apply I couldn't live with myself. I am a big fan of Natasha Shull's work, and would be overjoyed to work with her. I am currently building an MA thesis that engages both biomedicine and technology in a way that is somewhat dissimilar subject-wise, but not unlike Schull's most recent book methodologically (though her ethnography is much broader and culled from a much longer span of time). I also admire her exploration of values in design across tech and neuroscience...

I also can see myself working well under Jean Jackson (she has recently turned to chronic pain and illness) and John Durant (who works on the public understanding of science and scientific controversies).

Do you have any particular faculty or subjects in mind?

NOHOWNOWAY, I am SO happy you are in love! I'm definitely familiar with John Durant from the museum world. He's the director of MIT Museum. A very curious site indeed for "public learning of science", as the MIT Museum is not primarily for children (a la "science center"), but actually for adults, Unrelated to his research and his directorship duties, he's also the founder of Cambridge Science Festival http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/10/science/mits-john-durant-a-cheerleader-for-science.html?pagewanted=all I hope that continues as I heard the cancellation for some events following the MIT shooting...

As for particular faculty in mind at MIT, I afraid that I am not as far along as you, and I'm still at the beginning of my research. There is exciting research for sure at HASTS, but upon closer look, MIT's HTC (history, theory, and criticism) may actually be a better research fit for me with its two focuses: American art and architecture, and history of preservation (connoisseurship, and collecting). With a background that I have interpreting 17th-20th American art/artifacts, and art movements (aligned with: histories of collecting), the work of Kristel Smentek appeals greatly to me.....   

So, I'm thinking that the best way forward for me to work in this kind of research is that I should really obtain some experience in an auction house, or have some formal training in connoisseurship. I also need to get my hands on some of Smentek's work or lectures, so I can see if there are appropriate fits across the board.

Again, exactly like you said: I know it is a bit of stretch and I imagine HTC takes few students, but if I didn't consider it... I couldn't live with myself. I couldn't say it better (-:

Cheers for application research for Fall 2014!

To add to what I wrote in the above comment (22 April 2013), have you emailed or connected with any of the HASTS faculty?

To add to what I wrote in the above comment (22 April 2013), have you emailed or connected with any of the HASTS faculty?

No, not yet.  I briefly was in contact with Sherry Turkle during my MA applications, but it wasn't quite related to HASTS admissions.

Hey there, 1st time applicant. Would love a PhD program, but also applying to a few MA's as backup. I'm a bit torn between 2 fields actually, and am considering possibly applying to schools in both areas (we'll see). I love both Mesoamerican archaeology (especially Teotihuacan) and also historical archaeology, broadly focused on Mexico and/or US borderlands. Really interested in gender & sexuality as well, and how that manifests itself in the archaeological record. 

Currently working on my list: Berkeley, ASU, Tulane, ...Stanford & Columbia are huge maybes.

Edited by eriatarka

Hey there, 1st time applicant. Would love a PhD program, but also applying to a few MA's as backup. I'm a bit torn between 2 fields actually, and am considering possibly applying to schools in both areas (we'll see). I love both Mesoamerican archaeology (especially Teotihuacan) and also historical archaeology, broadly focused on Mexico and/or US borderlands. Really interested in gender & sexuality as well, and how that manifests itself in the archaeological record. 

Currently working on my list: Berkeley, ASU, Tulane, ...Stanford & Columbia are huge maybes.

I'm also looking at Tulane, it looks fantastic. Do you happen to know how competitive the anthropology program is there? I'm trying to figure out if I even have a chance. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm starting my list as well for either molecular anthropology programs or Health and human biology type programs. Taking all suggestions.

Also, is it true that some of the UK schools only require part time residence? I ask because I am considering all options as I wrap up the Master's degrees.

I'm also looking at Tulane, it looks fantastic. Do you happen to know how competitive the anthropology program is there? I'm trying to figure out if I even have a chance. 

You know, honestly, I don't have the inside scoop ;) I just assume they're all pretty competitive. Tulane definitely looks awesome!

You know, honestly, I don't have the inside scoop ;) I just assume they're all pretty competitive. Tulane definitely looks awesome!

For sure, I will certainly be applying even if it is a bit of a stretch for me. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey! 

First time applicant here. Still gauging what kinds of places I have a shot at, but planning to apply for a few dream PhDs and then some MA programs also. I'm looking to go into Legal Anthropology. Still working on the list, but so far LSE, UCL, UBC, U of T, UCLA...maybe I'll get up the courage to apply to Berkeley? Best of luck to everyone! 

Hey! 

First time applicant here. Still gauging what kinds of places I have a shot at, but planning to apply for a few dream PhDs and then some MA programs also. I'm looking to go into Legal Anthropology. Still working on the list, but so far LSE, UCL, UBC, U of T, UCLA...maybe I'll get up the courage to apply to Berkeley? Best of luck to everyone! 

Lackingpatience, what's Legal Anthropology?  Sounds v. interesting!

Lackingpatience, what's Legal Anthropology?  Sounds v. interesting!

It is pretty interesting! Like a lot of fields in Anthropology it is pretty flexible in its applications. But generally speaking it is about the way populations approach the legal systems around them, both how they define themselves in legal forums, adapting those systems, as well as adapting their own self-image in legal contexts. Legal anth is particularly applicable surrounding ideas of international law and human rights - forums or systems that purport to be universally applicable to some degree. 

For example, I'm from Canada, and many of the legal anthropologists her focus on indigenous populations and their approach to reclaiming their land and culture through legal procedures, and the ways that they are portrayed in legal forums in order to do so.  

That's a really vague overview, but you get the idea! :)

That's a really vague overview, but you get the idea! :)

Not vague at all!  I just hadn't heard of it as a subfield or area of interest.  I have seen some very interesting stuff about DACA in the US that I think falls under that heading.  Very cool.

• 1 month later...

Oops, I had started a new thread about this same thing! Sorry, I hadn't seen this one. Let's use this one though  :P

I'm applying to the  Linguistic Anthropology PhD programs at CUNY, UCLA, UC San Diego, and University of Michigan. I might apply to another one, but I'm still deciding. My top choices are UCLA and CUNY. 

I'm nervous and excited, and I just hope everything goes well for all of us!

Hi everyone!

I'm a first time applicant and I feel a little behind in this application process. I'm just starting to look into programs. I'm probably going to apply to only masters programs. I'm looking at UCLA, University of Hawaii, UC Davis, UCSB, and maybe Brown (thought I should apply to an East Coast school). I'm applying to Cultural Anthropology programs. I'm really interested in studying death rituals and mourning traditions.

Hi everyone!

I'm a first time applicant and I feel a little behind in this application process. I'm just starting to look into programs. I'm probably going to apply to only masters programs. I'm looking at UCLA, University of Hawaii, UC Davis, UCSB, and maybe Brown (thought I should apply to an East Coast school). I'm applying to Cultural Anthropology programs. I'm really interested in studying death rituals and mourning traditions.

I just graduated from UCD with a degree inanthropology and I work in the archaeology labs right now (as i work on my applications). As far as I know the only masters the department offers (kind of) is in archaeology. this is what the website says: 

Generally students are admitted for Ph.D. study only, and complete M.A. requirements in the normal course of the Ph.D. program. The archaeology program occasionally admits students who intend to pursue only the M.A. degree; please consult with the archaeology faculty before electing the M.A. rather than the Ph.D. degree program.

so davis might not be the best place for you unless you want to do a Phd. hope that helps refine your search, good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

I just graduated from UCD with a degree inanthropology and I work in the archaeology labs right now (as i work on my applications). As far as I know the only masters the department offers (kind of) is in archaeology. this is what the website says: 

Generally students are admitted for Ph.D. study only, and complete M.A. requirements in the normal course of the Ph.D. program. The archaeology program occasionally admits students who intend to pursue only the M.A. degree; please consult with the archaeology faculty before electing the M.A. rather than the Ph.D. degree program.

so davis might not be the best place for you unless you want to do a Phd. hope that helps refine your search, good luck!

Thanks so much for the info! I'll have to look into it deeper.

Hi all, I'm new to the site, but planning on applying to sociocultural anthropology (and probably political science) PhD programs this round. I've got way too long of a list of programs to share, but hope to narrow it down soon. I'm interested in studying conflict in sub-Saharan Africa, and my focus is a rebel group in east-central Africa.

I'm relatively new to the anthro field, and am still learning the ropes. I'm curious if anyone has insight - when looking at PhD programs, how closely should potential advisers' research match with the applicants? A lot of the scholars working in the region/conflict I study are European anthropologists, and it's hard to find people with the equivalent interests in the US. Is that a problem? Any tips would be great.

Hi all! First timer over here as well - I'm applying to a mix of Anthropology and Middle East Studies programs. I don't have a background in anthropology aside from one class my freshman year. Research interests surround the creation and embodiment of regional identity through cuisine, focused in the MENA region. I am trying to narrow down my school list but I'm having a hard time figuring out which schools are realistic and which are way out of my league - anybody have any ideas? I know that most anthro programs don't require a background in the subject, but my lack of expertise in the field does make me nervous.