How long did it take you to become a PhD Candidate?

11 members have voted

1. 1. How long did it take you to become a PhD Candidate?

• Under 2 years
    • 2 years
    • 3 years
    • Over 3 years

It seems that many people use the terms "PhD/graduate student" and "PhD candidate" interchangeably, but it is my understanding that "PhD candidate" usually refers to a graduate student who has passed the PhD qualification exams or program equivalent.

I'm guessing the OP is asking for the time between starting the graduate program and reaching candidate status.

Most places, it's when the student is through everything but the dissertation. So coursework, quals, etc. most programs are structured such that quals are the last thing you do.

It seems that many people use the terms "PhD/graduate student" and "PhD candidate" interchangeably, but it is my understanding that "PhD candidate" usually refers to a graduate student who has passed the PhD qualification exams or program equivalent.

I'm guessing the OP is asking for the time between starting the graduate program and reaching candidate status.

This can still vary. If you start a PhD program right from undergrad the time you count toward candidacy could be different than if you start with an MA and are able to apply your MA credits.

This can still vary. If you start a PhD program right from undergrad the time you count toward candidacy could be different than if you start with an MA and are able to apply your MA credits.

Right, the time will vary based on the specific program and previous graduate work, and I think that's why the OP is trying to get a sense of the average. I was just pointing out that becoming a "PhD candidate" usually has a different official meaning than becoming a "graduate student," in case anyone was wondering whether they should include time between finishing undergrad and starting a graduate program, which I don't think is what the OP is asking. 

Edited by Pitangus

It took me 4 years from entry to complete all of my quals.  I will defend my dissertation proposal next month, and this is the end of my 5th year.  So it depends; we don't use the formal language "PhD candidate" here (at least I don't think we do), so I'm not sure whether you are a candidate before or after you defend your proposal.  I intend to finish by next May.

We don't have any formal status of "PhD candidate" but it took me 5 semesters (~2.5 years) to complete all the other requirements beside defending my dissertation (coursework and two qualifying papers, we don't defend a dissertation proposal). I'm not sure if that means I should choose "2 years" or "3 years" in your poll.

It's really difficult to answer this but, I will anyway in the poll. But, you should keep in mind that I (and everyone else) in my PhD program entered with a master's degree either in the discipline or in a related area.