Fall 2014 applications

antecedent

I think I got good news... I'm not sure.

I got waitlisted to two places, what the hell does that mean about chances of admission :P

I think this is good news, and that your chance of getting in are good :) It depends of course on which two places, but from what I gather, it's fairly common to get in from the waitlist. The part that sucks is that you might have to wait until April to know. :(

I think this is good news, and that your chance of getting in are good :) It depends of course on which two places, but from what I gather, it's fairly common to get in from the waitlist. The part that sucks is that you might have to wait until April to know. :(

o well... I'm ok with waiting

Saw somebody posted a Stanford offer on the result broad. Whoever it is, congratulations! 

It's so good to still keep seeing good news in March (my results were all out expect one). Those who're waiting for their news, hang in there!

• 2 weeks later...

I got accepted into CU Boulder as an Ma not a Phd liked I applied.  I was pretty excited but it's unfunded so there is no way I am going there.  But yay a top school accepted me! 

Boulder accepted me 3 years ago. I had the same situation-applied for a PhD, accepted into master's with no aid...

I feel like I have seen other people saying that Boulder likes to do that.  

Hi All,

I've been a bit of a lurker but finally posting now that I have a dilemma. I was originally looking at PhD programs in linguistics (focusing on comp. ling.), but had done very little linguistics undergraduate work. I've been working for the past few years in a comp. ling. related job, and realized I wanted to study it further. Now I have acceptances at Indiana University (PhD) without any funding for the first year, and Brandeis (MA) with a 50% scholarship. I'm also still waiting on hearing from UMD, where I did have interviews but no open house invitation. I'm confused because I have friends, family and a boyfriend in Boston, so Brandeis is more appealing socially. However, I worry that it would be a bad move career-wise. Complicating the fact is that neither IU nor Brandeis had interviews or an open house, so I have no instinctive inclination towards either one. Is anyone familiar with either of these programs? I suppose I should start speaking to the professors, contacting current students, finding out what graduates did, etc....

Hi All,

I've been a bit of a lurker but finally posting now that I have a dilemma. I was originally looking at PhD programs in linguistics (focusing on comp. ling.), but had done very little linguistics undergraduate work. I've been working for the past few years in a comp. ling. related job, and realized I wanted to study it further. Now I have acceptances at Indiana University (PhD) without any funding for the first year, and Brandeis (MA) with a 50% scholarship. I'm also still waiting on hearing from UMD, where I did have interviews but no open house invitation. I'm confused because I have friends, family and a boyfriend in Boston, so Brandeis is more appealing socially. However, I worry that it would be a bad move career-wise. Complicating the fact is that neither IU nor Brandeis had interviews or an open house, so I have no instinctive inclination towards either one. Is anyone familiar with either of these programs? I suppose I should start speaking to the professors, contacting current students, finding out what graduates did, etc....

I can't help with either program but since you're in Boston, why don't you just go visit Brandeis? There doesn't have to be an open house for you to just arrange a short 1-2 day visit for yourself, perhaps with the help of their admin person. Ask to meet with professors (not just your POI but others who work in reasonably related fields) and students, and sit in on a few classes. And yes, you need to do some of the legwork yourself to figure out where alums go and how they are doing. For Indiana this is more difficult, but you could at the very least talk to some professors on the phone and perhaps chat or email with some students. Ask for the names of some students in your subfield, perhaps students of your POI, and email them with some basic questions. Get a good range of first years and more advanced students who are close to graduation. You can learn a lot from the replies (and even more from talking to them on skype, if they are willing to do that). 

Hello, everyone. I have a question.

How common is it that your POI writes to you to ask which other programs you have been admitted to so as to make it more competitive?

Do they make their final decision also based on that? Or does it mean that it has come to the final stage where several professors "fight" for limited admissions?

Edited by haleyww

Hello, everyone. I have a question.

How common is it that your POI writes to you to ask which other programs you have been admitted to so as to make it more competitive?

Do they make their final decision also based on that? Or does it mean that it has come to the final stage where several professors "fight" for limited admissions?

Well I know that my POIs asked cz they wanted to know that if I didn't get into their uni then I still have other options as like a backup.

They also asked for the sake of the waitlist, as in so that they can tell people on the waitlist that there is a chance that someone will reject cz of multiple offers.

Toronto started to reach out to its waitlisters. I was told they're very likely to make me an offer. So honored to hear that!

But the news came/will come at a very late stage, and I have little time left to know more about the program and to compare it with my current choice. Plus it being a Canadian University might complicate the situation -- like its relationship and communication with the linguistics department in the US and the job prospect in the future. I like the faculty very much and I don't know what to do right now.. Maybe withdraw from the consideration and stick to my current choice (which I did so much investigation on and know a lot about and love so much!)?

Anyone else's on the waitlist and need the spot very much?

Edited by longforit

Congrats on the almost-offer! 

You still have over two weeks before you need to make a decision. Take the time, investigate the program, learn about its alums and where they are now. Make an informed decision! You may end up with the same option you're inclined to choose now, but don't you think you owe it to yourself to see the process through, now that you're so far along? You're not ever going to do this again and this choice will affect your life in many ways for a long time to come. You don't want to regret not spending the time it would take to learn more about this program, which I bet is not that long at all.

Thanks for being so supportive (and prompt ;) )!

I'm starting to ask around and take a closer look at the department (but what if they don't want me in the end...).  But I feel going to a campus visit and having some personal experience of the department is very important to me. I have strong feeling towards the one I visited and can't wait to start the fall semester at the end of the visit. I regret not to be able to go to another school due to lack of time and I don't have time to go to Toronto either. Other things being equal (and it's not actually equal), I may more likely choose the one I've been to and love to study at. (But doing a thorough research before making any decision is definitely my way of doing things :) )

Thanks for being so supportive (and prompt ;) )!

I'm starting to ask around and take a closer look at the department (but what if they don't want me in the end...).  But I feel going to a campus visit and having some personal experience of the department is very important to me. I have strong feeling towards the one I visited and can't wait to start the fall semester at the end of the visit. I regret not to be able to go to another school due to lack of time and I don't have time to go to Toronto either. Other things being equal (and it's not actually equal), I may more likely choose the one I've been to and love to study at. (But doing a thorough research before making any decision is definitely my way of doing things :) )

Of course visiting UofT would be the best thing, but if that's not possible then I'm a grad student there and I'm happy to answer any questions that you have. Or if you want something more specialized, you could contact students who work in the sub-field that you're in.

Edited by CanadianLinguist1