The Next Step: Fall 2013ers

I can't believe I didn't discover AbeBooks until this summer. It was actually a librarian who tipped me to it, since I needed to replace a book and I ended up paying only $4.00 for the book and saving $121! It also gave me a chance to get some lit crit I've been eyeing for less than $10 each. 

I've never gone with Amazon used books though; those prices might be more akin to what you'd find on Abe.

Orchard Downs was a borderline slum

Oh no, that bad? Wow. You'd think University Housing would do better than that. Then again, freshman year my hallway didn't have heat for the entire winter. And unlike the past couple years, winter '09-'10 was no weak winter!

Granted, after dealing with some of the realty companies in Champaign, I feel like I can take on just about anything. You'd never think it, but there are some real deal slumlords down there...

^ Truth. I was all suspicious of the realtors here based on my experiences in Champaign, but my new apartment company has been nothing but nice and accomodating. The original six pack buildings though are/were pretty scummy. I like to consider that a character building experience, preparing me to have low standards of luxury. 

with prime shipping and the used options, i find amazon to usually be my best bet

Prime is definitely the way to go if you have it. 2 day free shipping. I leech off my mom's Amazon Prime account and it has worked wonderfully. I also have recently gotten into buying books for class on my Kindle. The "search" and bookmarking features are godsends when you are trying to find a something you remember reading, but didn't mark. Plus it made carrying multiple books around easy.  Not the cheapest way to purchase books though.

Obviously mileage may vary on textbooks from place to place, but before committing to buying used on Amazon, I'd check Powell's Books online.  If you buy used on Amazon, you'll usually end up paying shipping individually for each book.  If Powell's happens to have used copies of all of your books, you'll pay one flat fee for shipping.  I saved about $12 that way ordering for my first class last week.  The Prime free shipping deal doesn't usually apply to the third party sellers that sell used books on Amazon.

Also, if you're ever in Portland, OR, make sure to check out Powell's main store.  It's something like the biggest bookstore in the country, you wont regret it.

Edited by jrockford27

^ Truth. I was all suspicious of the realtors here based on my experiences in Champaign, but my new apartment company has been nothing but nice and accomodating. The original six pack buildings though are/were pretty scummy. I like to consider that a character building experience, preparing me to have low standards of luxury. 

Prime is definitely the way to go if you have it. 2 day free shipping. I leech off my mom's Amazon Prime account and it has worked wonderfully. I also have recently gotten into buying books for class on my Kindle. The "search" and bookmarking features are godsends when you are trying to find a something you remember reading, but didn't mark. Plus it made carrying multiple books around easy.  Not the cheapest way to purchase books though.

Prime is free for students for the first year and half price thereafter. Definitely worth signing up, even if you mostly use it to order cat litter and other groceries that you're too lazy to carry from the store (not that I do that, of course :ph34r: ).

The Book Depository sells via amazon marketplace as do others - with the combination of extremely low prices for most books and ease of use (search/ ability to compare multiple vendors etc) amazon marketplace wins out for me. I work in popular fiction, though, so a good percentage of my books cost mere cents on amazon marketplace  :D

Edited by wreckofthehope

Prime is free for students for the first year and half price thereafter. Definitely worth signing up, even if you mostly use it to order cat litter and other groceries that you're too lazy to carry from the store (not that I do that, of course :ph34r: ).

Also good for stuff that you literally can't trasnport/carry. I just ordered a bed and a futon; due to be delivered any day now! I have a small car and not a lot of arm strength, so delivery to my door was kind of necessary. I have been sleeping on an air mattress this past week, so I am definitely ready for the bed to be delivered.

Did most people get furnished places or unfurnished? I wanted a furnished one because I don't know if I will be in this exact apartment for more than a year, but it still didn't come with all the furniture I needed.

• 2 weeks later...

tumblr_mbc4khRVPL1ri3ha9o1_400.gif

It's been a lot of work (a LOT of work), but I'm so jazzed about being here that it doesn't seem like it.  I've got one class that's predominantly theory-based, one class that's pedagogy-based, and one class that's professionalization-based, so I feel like I'm getting very well set up for taking the rest of my coursework.  There are ups and downs, as with starting any program, but the ups far outweigh the downs.

My first week was AWESOME. I haven't really gotten into the nitty gritty of school yet, since classes started on Wednesday, but the last few weeks have been pretty boss. I met the professor that I desperately wanted to work with, and she's amazing and really friendly. I'm still a little awed at how much time everyone spends hanging out together here, but I love it. I'm definitely not missing Pittsburgh right now. :D

Just chilling. Reading some Bakhtin, baking some bread. I'm pretty content.

I'm really excited because I am also baking bread! I just got my first bread machine, and made a killer loaf of wheat bread this afternoon.

Oh yeah, and classes start for me tomorrow. Stoked! I can't believe it's really happening. 

But most importantly: I heart bread. 

Today is my first day of classes! I wrote this blog post last night about my goals for these next five years, and I wanted to share it with you all. 

What are some PhD-related goals you have set for yourself?

After this first week and a half?

tumblr_mhppbgYgSX1r2xqhzo1_r3_500.gif

tumblr_m8pty2K87Y1rchb8fo2_500.gif

Surviving.

In all seriousness, I'm already working with a professor to get my Master's thesis ready for publication.  I'm aiming to have it out by the end of the semester.  After that, I'm going to try to be done with all my required courses by the end of the academic year and can then turn to the classes I want to take in year two.  It turns out I'm also suddenly on a first-name basis with one of the leading scholars in my field, so there's that.

In all seriousness, I'm already working with a professor to get my Master's thesis ready for publication.  I'm aiming to have it out by the end of the semester.  After that, I'm going to try to be done with all my required courses by the end of the academic year and can then turn to the classes I want to take in year two.  It turns out I'm also suddenly on a first-name basis with one of the leading scholars in my field, so there's that.

You're a boss. Straight up. 

I just finished my first week (and a day) of classes as well, and I have to say that I'm pretty damned excited about the next 6 years. The workload will be difficult, but manageable, I think. I'm working as much as I can during the 9-5 hours, and not taking any of my teaching work home with me--that stays in my office. I'm hoping this will keep everything balanced so I can still spend quality time with my family without worrying about school the whole time.

Is anyone else still living in a house full of boxes? My hubs brought up another U-Haul load this past Saturday. Just when I thought I was done! At least that should be the last of it...

Hi, is anyone here studies at UT comp. lit.? I need some info regarding their funding package; their website is so unclear. It does state that TAs are offered a stipend only, no tuition waiver ??? Is this true? 

It does state on the site:

TAs must pay their own tuition and fees, but may do so at the rate for Texas residents; they are also eligible for the U.T. health insurance premium sharing benefit. A waiver of tuition is not included with the stipend but tuition assistance is offered.

So I would assume it's true (?) However, I would contact the program directly for further clarification. Their more prestigious fellowships might offer a waiver or partial waiver even if not indicated on the site. The only way to know would be speak with someone from the department.

Wow. No tuition waiver would've been an instant "No" for me. 

Spring course registration already? But Fall's only just started!

Yeah I don't understand the logic of that. Students are given a stipend, but there's no way the stipend would cover even a fraction of tuition costs so grad students will still have to take out easily +$100k in loans unless they have a fairly hefty fellowship already.

Less than 2 weeks till registration for me and just a bit over 3 weeks till classes actually start, whew...