The Next Step: Fall 2013ers

Hey all! Now that the rollercoaster of emotions that application season is over, I know that many of us are trying to figure out the next step: registering for classes, contacting professors, etc. I thought I'd create a thread for us to talk about our next steps.

Like I've said in other threads, I've been trying to supplement my lack of rhetorical education. Just yesterday, a professor from Maryland emailed me a handful of essays as a "starter kit." I've been in cloud nine reading academic texts again, but I am also trying to stay focused on my classes this semester; I don't want my students to suffer because my mind is elsewhere! It's a tricky balance: mentally focusing on the present while daydreaming and planning for the future. 

In addition to academic reading, I also have been reading for fun: last weekend, I devoured Octavia Butler's The Parable of the Sower. It was amazing. I want to try to squeeze in as much recreational reading as I can before fall starts! 

So, what are your next steps? What are the big things ya'll have to do before classes start in the fall?

Hmm.

Well, I've sourced out most of the major articles and books written by faculty in both my departments who I think I will be seeing a lot of. I'm working through them, while keeping up supplementary readings in areas that may also be of interest. For example, I got tired of hearing so much about Speculative Realism and decided to do some introductory readings in the area. I'm unimpressed, so far, but that's another story. 

I'm actually kind of at a loss as to what to expect next. April 15th was just a few days ago, so I'm not sure if our department will do some sort of "official" email welcome to the cohort, or provide further instructions, etc. I actually don't even know any of the other film admits! And the history of art people I do know, are off this forum. I'm also unsure if I should reach out to faculty members over summer for anything. I mean, I don't really have anything to say right now. Saying "I want to get a head start" sounds a bit daft, since we'll all go through introductory methods/issues courses anyway, I'm sure. So...yeah, sort of not sure what else to do.

Keeping up the hunt for apartments. Working on pulling together a coherent plan to get some work done on my French over summer. Browsing through past course offerings in my areas (the more I do this, the more I realise how perfect a fit Yale's joint program is for my interests at this time. It's unreal.). That's about it.

Trying hard to deal with how homesick I am already. I am very excited to take this next step in my life - which is beginning on the precipice of me turning 30 - and so glad that both my husband and I get to pursue our goals together in an interesting, charming new place. But I already desperately miss my life as it is now.

And on the academic end of things, I have to teach 3 summer classes at my Oklahoma institution before moving, and I'm responding to 3 CFPs for published articles in the event that I get one published so I can take a break from trying for at least my first year.

I am trying to get back into academic reading. I feel like I have been out of the loop for the past two years and need to brush up. Especially as I will be teaching in the fall.

Also, trying to not panic about moving across the country and figuring out how to get my stuff from point A to point B.

Trying hard to deal with how homesick I am already. I am very excited to take this next step in my life - which is beginning on the precipice of me turning 30 - and so glad that both my husband and I get to pursue our goals together in an interesting, charming new place. But I already desperately miss my life as it is now.

Definitely with you there! As I will be 1/3 of the way across the country in just over five weeks, my S.O. just had the "but you don't have to leave me" breakdown. We're planning on giving distance a shot, and I'm beyond excited to move (getting more excited every day!), but I keep quiet about it as there are also a lot of things I'll miss about my small coastal town nestled in the heart of the redwoods.

On the academic front, I'm currently in the process of applying for a FLAS (Foreign Language and Area Studies) fellowship at UMaine, so if I get it I'll be reading a lot of Canadian lit and enrolling in a French IV class this semester. Otherwise, it'll be more Franco-American lit and theory! Either way, keeping myself busy while spending the first two months of summer in the mountains of Colorado  :)

Definitely with you there! As I will be 1/3 of the way across the country in just over five weeks, my S.O. just had the "but you don't have to leave me" breakdown. We're planning on giving distance a shot, and I'm beyond excited to move (getting more excited every day!), but I keep quiet about it as there are also a lot of things I'll miss about my small coastal town nestled in the heart of the redwoods.

On the academic front, I'm currently in the process of applying for a FLAS (Foreign Language and Area Studies) fellowship at UMaine, so if I get it I'll be reading a lot of Canadian lit and enrolling in a French IV class this semester. Otherwise, it'll be more Franco-American lit and theory! Either way, keeping myself busy while spending the first two months of summer in the mountains of Colorado  :)

It's in English, but have you read Vandal Love?

Glad to hear I'm not alone in my impending homesickness. My family and my in-laws are both super sad about my husband's and my big move, and I'm trying to stay strong for them, but in reality, I am already missing California. I spent the weekend in San Francisco eating all of my favorite foods (ice cream from Bi-Rite, burrito from Taqueria Cancun, and pizza from Zachary's) and doing my favorite things (watching the new light show on the bay bridge, going to a Giants game, and walking around Dolores Park). It was bittersweet; I had a blast galloping around the bay area and spoiling myself, but the thought of my impended departure loomed over each activity. 

However, it's not all bad. I live in a lovely coastal town right now that I love during the day, but man, this town is dead once the sun sets. I am so excited about living near a city again. I've already been scoping out the local music venues in DC, and I signed up for a half-marathon in Baltimore. So, while I am sad about moving, I am feeling super ready for this new adventure. 

Hm, well I recently set up my new school email address and paid my enrollment deposit.  And my future roommates--one of whom is the ever-awesome It's (Not) About Me-- and I are searching for an apartment/house to move into this August.  All very exciting stuff!  I still need to send my official transcripts, enroll in the graduate student health insurance plan, send in my medical history, register for classes, etc.

Glad to hear I'm not alone in my impending homesickness. My family and my in-laws are both super sad about my husband's and my big move, and I'm trying to stay strong for them, but in reality, I am already missing California. I spent the weekend in San Francisco eating all of my favorite foods (ice cream from Bi-Rite, burrito from Taqueria Cancun, and pizza from Zachary's) and doing my favorite things (watching the new light show on the bay bridge, going to a Giants game, and walking around Dolores Park). It was bittersweet; I had a blast galloping around the bay area and spoiling myself, but the thought of my impended departure loomed over each activity. 

However, it's not all bad. I live in a lovely coastal town right now that I love during the day, but man, this town is dead once the sun sets. I am so excited about living near a city again. I've already been scoping out the local music venues in DC, and I signed up for a half-marathon in Baltimore. So, while I am sad about moving, I am feeling super ready for this new adventure. 

Sad for you both, but also happy for all of us! We're getting to live our dreams (at least, I assume this is a shared dream!). I feel bad for you both, beet-nik since you are moving so far from your S/O, and proflorax, since you are moving across the country, I'm lucky in that Baton Rouge is only (only, LOL) a ten hour drive from Oklahoma City, so I can come back to visit with more frequency than I had feared.

Hm, well I recently set up my new school email address and paid my enrollment deposit.  And my future roommates--one of whom is the ever-awesome It's (Not) About Me-- and I are searching for an apartment/house to move into this August.  All very exciting stuff!  I still need to send my official transcripts, enroll in the graduate student health insurance plan, send in my medical history, register for classes, etc.

Do all schools require a medical history? If so I'm screwed, because I'm not sure how well the free clinic keeps records.

Ok fine that wasn't funny.

It's in English, but have you read Vandal Love?

I haven't yet, but it's on my list of books to find (and read) this summer. Such a long reading list, but I'm looking forward to it!

Sad for you both, but also happy for all of us! We're getting to live our dreams (at least, I assume this is a shared dream!). I feel bad for you both, beet-nik since you are moving so far from your S/O, and proflorax, since you are moving across the country, I'm lucky in that Baton Rouge is only (only, LOL) a ten hour drive from Oklahoma City, so I can come back to visit with more frequency than I had feared.

Oh, don't feel bad! I am beyond excited that I'm getting closer to living my dream, so moving closer to the Canadian border is definitely a necessary step  :) Glad you'll be (only!) 10 hours away though...that's shorter than my current drive from home and I'm in the same state!

So much activity. I've yet to even hear from the GSAS about transcripts, enrollment deposits, and so on.

Is anyone else still finishing their MA thesis and trying to organize LIFE. It. Is. Doing. My. Head. In.

ETA: At least I have my visa. That was a weight off my mind.

Edited by Porridge

I already know what classes I'm going to take, and I have a few ideas on when I'd like to teach (but I can't sign up for the times until August, so it's pointless to worry about it now). The big thing is completing my senior honors thesis. House hunting is also on my to-do list when I can find the time for it. Everything else just needs to be ignored until I graduate.

Is anyone else still finishing their MA thesis and trying to organize LIFE. It. Is. Doing. My. Head. In.

ETA: At least I have my visa. That was a weight off my mind.

Finishing my MA thesis now.  Mostly I would like to burn it and all these books and run nekkid down the street with a bottle of tequila in one hand and a kazoo in the other.

Question for those who are going to teach. How did you figure out what to teach. I have some leeway and am starting to stress about what I should focus the class on.

I'm not going to teach next year, but I have been teaching at a college with lots of academic freedom for three years now. I plan my class around the skills outlined in the student learning outcomes, as well as what I think will most engaged students. What class are you going to teach? Is there a required reader? I'd be happy to share with you any syllabus I have if you are teaching freshman composition or basic writing. 

In terms of themes, I suggest thinking of something relatively vague, so students can explore their own interests within the class theme. This is why I like to focus my classes on topics that interest me but also offer students the freedom to discover their interests within the class theme. I've had great fun talking about education in the classroom: literacy development (student paper is a literacy narrative), critiques of western education (student paper is a problem/solution paper), and two other units that are escaping me right now... But yes! Think of something that will keep you interested while also encouraging students to find their own voice! Also, some instructors don't choose themes for the entire semester, so don't feel like you have to!

I'm taking that Yale open course on literary theory, because my theoretical background is in politics, not literature, and although I imagine my work will be drawing quite a bit on political texts, I'm determined to not start my program a step behind everyone else like I did for undergrad. Also getting health papers sorted out, trying to find a cheap flight, making financial arrangements, looking for an apartment, teaching classes, and writing a little. And trying to quit smoking. It's gonna be a long spring.

Question for those who are going to teach. How did you figure out what to teach. I have some leeway and am starting to stress about what I should focus the class on.

I've been teaching at a university that allows us to design our own curriculums, and my Freshman Comp papers are a mixture of writing about novels and/or films, rhetorical analysis, and argument. I pick all topics. I give them 3-4 choices, but no one is allowed to choose an unapproved topic.

Proflorax and thatjewishgirl-

Thank you for the insight. The class I am going to teach is Intro to College Writing. I'm pretty sure it is the Freshman Comp class. There is not a required reader.

Proflorax I would appreciate any advice or syllabus help possible. I've never taught at the college level and I'm unsure how this is supposed to work. I like the idea of keeping the theme vague, so students have some choice. 

I will have to think about what type of general topics I find interesting but would let students embrace their own voice. 

Yeah, I've been off the boards for a while because of my thesis-beast. BUT, youz guyz! This past Friday...

29lixp0.jpg

Awwwww Hell yeah!

Now I just have to grade like 8 bazillion finals and final papers, and finish my last course and then I'm done bitches! :P

ETA: Well, except for the next 6 years where I'll be doing even harder work, but I'm excited about it! Submitted my course registration requests last week!

Edited by bfat

29lixp0.jpg

Awwwww Hell yeah!

Congrats!!!!!  I'm in the last day of working on my thesis right now.  I've edited and just have to type the edits and double-check/proofread.  Why does this feel like cruel and unusual punishment?  Can I just turn in the marked-up one and be like, "It's all there, I promise!!"  Arghhhh.

• 2 weeks later...

Graduated yesterday and earned a high distinction on my honors thesis! 

Those were the last two hurdles I had to make before I could even begin to think about this whole going-to-grad-school-in-the-fall thing haha.

Oddly enough communication from UChicago has been a little sparse. My assumption is that it's because they're still about a month away from the end of classes and don't start autumn term until September 30th. 

Looking at course descriptions is freaking me out just a bit... I'm afraid I'm going to be signing up for classes with only vaguest sense of what they're even about!

Yup, precious little from my departments as well. I'm sure it's because there isn't really much to do right now. The GSAS has a checklist for incoming students that I'm moving through, and I was told not to expect departmental communications until much later. 

I don't even have course descriptions available yet!