The Next Step: Fall 2013ers

Has anyone else completely turned off the academic part of their brains? I finished my thesis submission and my last course (4.0 in my MA, baby!), and I haven't even gone near a book since then unless it's the kind you can buy at an airport. Should I be worried about this, or just relax and embrace it? I figure I'll be ready to read something substantial again around mid-July.

Also, we have to sell our house this summer (like ASAP) so I have literally been scrubbing things for two weeks straight. And I have a 9-month-old, so my life was like 85% scrubbing anyway. Just let me tell you how awesome it is.

2lxtlc7.gif

I'm in the same place.  The trash I have read is so satisfyingly shameful.  And I'm moving from Canada to the US, so I've been on the phone with customs for all that time you've been scrubbing (and tearing my hair out at the same time).  Come July, it's back to reading theory...

I'm trying to apartment hunt from 3,000 miles away.  It does not help that in Nevada, renters are only required to give 30 days notice, so these complexes won't know until the end of June whether they'll have availability at the end of July.  I'm going to be out of town the last week of June and first week of July.

tumblr_m4gknpzG3h1roilnu.gif

Speaking of housing, the hubs and I are putting in an offer for a house in DC today. It's perfect. Please cross your fingers and toes! 

Good luck! We found a house to rent and are thinking of reevaluating the question of buying a house next year. But I'm excited for you finding a place to call your own!

We've started looking into buying as well. The whole 5+ year commitment makes it make a lot of sense, given the rental market and our love of animals.

I'm trying to apartment hunt from 3,000 miles away.  It does not help that in Nevada, renters are only required to give 30 days notice, so these complexes won't know until the end of June whether they'll have availability at the end of July.  I'm going to be out of town the last week of June and first week of July.

tumblr_m4gknpzG3h1roilnu.gif

Truth.

I've given up on finding a long-term apartment from here (I'm about 7,000 miles and a dozen times zones away) and just getting something for a month so I can search in person. Renting site-unseen is a bad enough idea as a renter, but I can't imagine anyone holding an apartment for me when all I can do is flash by tired eyelids at them from the other side of an ocean and promise to take the apartment in three weeks. 

I'm trying to apartment hunt from 3,000 miles away. It does not help that in Nevada, renters are only required to give 30 days notice, so these complexes won't know until the end of June whether they'll have availability at the end of July. I'm going to be out of town the last week of June and first week of July.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4gknpzG3h1roilnu.gif

This gif. So much this gif. I'm in Boston RIGHT NOW trying to find an apartment for August before I leave tomorrow and I kind of just want to curl up somewhere and cry.

IF I find a place though, I think I'm gonna like it here. :-)

Good luck! We found a house to rent and are thinking of reevaluating the question of buying a house next year. But I'm excited for you finding a place to call your own!

Thanks! And congrats for finding a rental. The rental market here is overwhelming! Where abouts will you be living?

And Laokoon, that is exactly our thought with buying versus renting. Finding rentals that allow dogs and have a yard is so hard! And we'll actually end up spending less each month buying vs. renting (if this deal goes through!).

The seller is looking at offers tonight, so we should know soon!

Edited by proflorax

I think I'll end up buying next year.  The rental market where I'll be is just absurd because all of the landlords are just looking for that undergrad student whose parents can/will pay whatever (and, of course, they find them!).  And, to my everlasting surprise, I kinda want a lawn to mow...

And Laokoon, that is exactly our thought with buying versus renting. Finding rentals that allow dogs and have a yard is so hard! And we'll actually end up spending less each month buying vs. renting (if this deal goes through!).

This exactly! Why does everyone hate dogs so much!?! We're looking to buy too because rental prices are INSANE in State College (and like .02% allow pets, and only then with an extra $100 per month or so.)

I think I'll end up buying next year.  The rental market where I'll be is just absurd because all of the landlords are just looking for that undergrad student whose parents can/will pay whatever (and, of course, they find them!).  And, to my everlasting surprise, I kinda want a lawn to mow...

Yup. 40,000 undergrads or so will do that to the rental market... Ugh.

The problem is, I don't know if we can sell our current house in time to buy in August, and NOWHERE has temporary rentals or month-to-month until we can buy a place up there. This whole process is a brand new stress-beast that I didn't let myself think about during the app season. :wacko:

Thanks! And congrats for finding a rental. The rental market here is overwhelming! Where abouts will you be living?

The seller is looking at offers tonight, so we should know soon!

I think what we found is technically in Riverdale, but Riverdale is essentially in Hyattsville (or right next to it)? The many small suburbs confuse me, haha. But it's about 3 miles from the university in the Hyattsville/Riverdale area. And has a yard and an owner who is OK with pets. Thrilled! Though I'll definitely still be looking into the housing market after we get there because, as you said, it's cheaper on a monthly basis to buy than rent, and nice to be investing money into something rather than losing it each month.

Good luck with your offer! Is the house actually in DC? If so, finding one there is an accomplishment in itself from what I've seen.

I have to say, Louisiana people are NICE. (coming from the oh-so-cosmopolitan Oklahoma)

I called a few realtors and in almost no time hit upon a man who owns an entire block of houses within walking distance to LSU. He told me he had a property coming up that would be perfect for us (a couple with dogs) and he was willing to rent it to me. He said his houses go quickly because they're so close to campus, but he held it for me, sent me a lease, and we sent it out to him right away to secure the house for the end of July. He only rents to grad students and young professionals, so the neighboorhood is relatively quiet. I unfortunately had to rent it without seeing it, but he did send me copious pictures of the inside and outside. It's an older, 1940s house and the kitchen is being completely redone before we move in. it has a fenced in backyard for the dogs and the rent couldn't be better. He decided not to charge me a pet deposit because I'm a girl - "A girl needs her dogs when her husband isn't home." Gosh darn it, I love the south. Maybe his statement is questionable, but whatever, I have three dogs.

Edited by thatjewishgirl

He decided not to charge me a pet deposit because I'm a girl - "A girl needs her dogs when he husband isn't home." Gosh darn it, I love the south. Maybe his statement is questionable, but whatever, I have three dogs.

Ha! I love the South in such a complicated way.

The Southern United States: Upholding our manners through mysogyny and racism since the 17th century.

Edited by champagne

My roommates and I are also in the throes of finding a place to live this August.  We've found and applied for the perfect apartment and are currently waiting for owner approval.  If that obtains, we're going to sign the lease as soon as possible and move down there in early August.

Exciting stuff, everyone!  Until moving day, that is.  :mellow:

Speaking of housing, the hubs and I are putting in an offer for a house in DC today. It's perfect. Please cross your fingers and toes! 

Hey, congratulations on that big decision--hope it goes smoothly. I'm just curious; do you mind PMing me some figures involved? I'm wondering what sort of place you're aiming for, and what kinds of numbers are involved, etc. 

I have an apartment and the kitchen is magnificent. (As is the pizza place around the corner.)

That's awesome! I'm really into homecooking, and the kitchen in my future apartment is miniscule, so I'm jealous.

Meanwhile, I feel like my summer is distinctly lacking in the preparation and planning department, since I had to be that guy and find an apartment back in March. I'm not even pretending to be scholarly either.

Moved to my new country, met with my new dept. chair, met with a few students... A dream come true, really. One of my comps-to-come is a standard list, so I'm casually getting started on some of the less familiar titles. What is most exciting about my new institution is that I expect to learn from my peers: they are all brilliant, and the camaraderie is strong. Also, protip: 30x25" sticky-note-things exist: an excellent resource for mapping out ideas for those of us not yet up on scrivener and whatnot. Best wishes to all! (and for the 2014 applicants reading this thread: I was rejected from most places I applied to, but I was accepted at my hail-mary top choice with awesome funding and amazing scholars. Cool things can/do happen).

Hey, congratulations on that big decision--hope it goes smoothly. I'm just curious; do you mind PMing me some figures involved? I'm wondering what sort of place you're aiming for, and what kinds of numbers are involved, etc. 

Sure thing!

Unfortunately, our first offer didn't go through. Fortunately, we had a second house we really liked, so we are waiting to hear back. Turns out, obsessively watching HGTV doth not a real estate expert make. 

Edit: WE GOT A HOUSE! In Washington DC! Wow. Just, wow. 

1241698538_scrubs-party.gif

Edited by proflorax

Today I put in an application for an absolutely kick-ass, upgraded, enormous apartment two miles from campus with a view of the mountains, that if I get it will be gotten for a steal.  Good thoughts, please, as I quietly die waiting for the office to open tomorrow, three timezones behind me.

tumblr_lufhslz8R41qgixe3.gif

Today I put in an application for an absolutely kick-ass, upgraded, enormous apartment two miles from campus with a view of the mountains, that if I get it will be gotten for a steal.  Good thoughts, please, as I quietly die waiting for the office to open tomorrow, three timezones behind me.

tumblr_lufhslz8R41qgixe3.gif

Sending you good thoughts!

I just bought a house, so I'm in the middle of the packing process. It's not going so well seeing as I spend more time looking at my books than I spend time packing them.

• 2 weeks later...

^Yay! Congrats!

Gosh I am so behind, I'm still hunting around Craigslist for a room to see if I can avoid living in a studio or one-bedroom. Thankfully classes don't start until the end of September, but I'd like to not start my grad program with a moving crunch (!)