The Least Evil/Bloodsucking Telecom in the US?

I'm hoping for a non-contract, pay-as-you-go. I think in general, the telecoms aren't as bad as they are in Canada (here we have insanely high costs compared to the rest of the world and unprecedented strangeholds on the market by about 3 different companies).

I saw that Virgin has some decent "Beyond Talk" plans that are super cheap and have unlimited data and texting, which seems suspicious to me. There has to be a catch.

I'll have an iPhone 4 so a plan with decent data and texting would be good, but obviously no real need for minutes or the like.

Hmm...it depends what city you are in. I am in the Los Angeles area and have boost mobile. I have a Samsung S2 (Which was about $300 out of pocket) but I pay only $40.00 for unlimited talk, text, and 4g web. You start off paying off $55.00/ month and payments shrink by $5/ every six months. I <3 Boost Mobile. :)

I know what you mean about the lose-lose-lose options with telecom in Canada! My wife and I are on a family plan on T-Mobile with unlimited data*, text and 1000 minutes** of talk (it seems like a lot of the monthly plan option is "unlimited" or "nothing" so this is actually the lowest family plan offered that has text and data included). We pay about $85 per month ($95 if you include our insurance policy) for both of us -- my brother gave me his old smartphone (also a Samsung S2) and my wife bought a new smartphone (an older model, about $300). We are in a 2 year contract but that was necessary in order to get my school's discount rate (15% off the monthly rate) but we are here for at least 4 years so we might as well sign a contract and get the better rates. Also, it seems like in the US, the only meaning of "long distance" is another country! Our families are still in another country but at least this makes it easier for me to call/text my wife when I'm at a conference or traveling for research in the US. 

*Fine print: We actually have 2GB of 4G data (per line) and then unlimited at some lower speed, but we're almost always on wi-fi so our 4G usage is small. We can't reduce our 4G amount because the next smaller step is only 200 MB (and large overage fees) which is not enough.

** Fine print #2: Their only choices were 1000 minutes or unlimited and many other monthly contract plans at other companies don't even offer 1000 minutes, they just charge more for unlimited only. Calls within the T-Mobile network are free as well as calls on evenings and weekends...so I think we barely touch 100 minutes between the two of us per month!

In Canada, we had "dumb phones" and we paid $80 per month for just unlimited text, 100 minutes of *local* talk and no data. I think being able to use a smart phone (and the insurance policy) is totally worth the extra $15 per month. We did also consider pay-as-you-go plans, but they aren't really worth it if you want to get data. I feel like if you can get on a family plan rate with someone else, you can get on a plan where your individual rates are just as good as something like Boost etc. I think the definition of "family" just means same billing address. I know some roommates who sign onto plans like this together (but I would only advise that if you know the other person well, since you are both jointly liable for the account!).

You can check out Boost Mobile's coverage using this coverage map: http://www.boostmobile.com/coverage/http://www.boostmobile.com/coverage/

Also, the towers that Boost uses for cell phone coverage are owned by Sprint. A lot of the pay as you go plans here in the U.S. are owned by a larger, two-year contract phone companies. I've had great coverage so far, and plan on staying with boost unless I can get a cheaper deal elsewhere. 

Good luck! 

Edited by lafresca

US telecom is pretty much the same, with Verizon, AT&T and Sprint dominating the main market, while the rest scrounge for the poorer folks. It appears cheaper than canada by a lot though.

There's a company called "Page Plus" that contracts with Verizon to use Verizon's network, while charging as a no-contract monthly plan.

It's 55/month for unlimited talk/text + 2GB data, and about 45 for the same plan with 200 MB instead.

Data shouldn't be an issue since you should be using school wifi and 200MB is more than enough.

Ok clearly I have a lot of research to do! I guess I could start a family plan with my partner... if it's just based on same address. If they need us to be married on the other hand.... well, that case is currently still in court. Isn't it? I know that a lot of people opt for low data plans to save money and then just use up free wifi wherever they go. I don't know if I could do that though since I love to be connected when I'm commuting. And just recently I tried surviving on Starbucks wifi alone and it was so unreliable and spotty that I nearly threw my phone in the trash!

Family plans, as I understand, are based on address. I've never had to show a marriage certificate to get a family plan (in fact, when my now husband switched to T-Mobile, we weren't married yet, just living together).

Edited by CageFree

They are all awful. Totally, utterly awful - at least compared to the UK. Expensive as hell and will suck your soul out if you let them. 

Advice: DON'T go to Radio Shack. They totally lied to my face: when I bought a SIM + plan there, the woman told me the $25 on my receipt was for a data plan. In reality, she hadn't sold me a data plan at all, and was charging me $25 for the SIM card!!!!! SIMs are usually free in the UK so I didn't even query it! Daylight robbery. Just don't ever go there. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone!

Thanks a lot for the recommendations! I'm thinking in using either PagePlus or Ultra, both have really cheap deals!

Does anybody have a return on experience on any of these operators?

Thanks!

Marie

• 3 months later...

Hello everyone. I need advise regarding mobile connection. I have an unlocked Iphone 5 that I want to bring along to USA and continue using. I think that leaves T mobile as my only option for service provider but i have heard that its quality is really bad around Columbia university campus. Anybody have any experience regarding that? Is it worth bringing my phone or should i just get rid of it here and buy a contract deal with verizon? 

Hmm...it depends what city you are in. I am in the Los Angeles area and have boost mobile. I have a Samsung S2 (Which was about $300 out of pocket) but I pay only $40.00 for unlimited talk, text, and 4g web. You start off paying off $55.00/ month and payments shrink by $5/ every six months. I <3 Boost Mobile. :)

I passed by a Boost Mobile store today and was very interested! Do you have to buy a phone through them in order to use their plans? Or can I bring an unlocked phone over?

As an international student, I couldn't buy new phones with contract so I bought a phone without contract with Virgin. So far, so good. 

Do you mean that you couldn't buy a new phone with contract because you won't be in the country long enough to complete the entire contract? Or, was it because they did not want to sign a contract with an international student that does not have US credit history etc. If it's the latter, then it's not the same with all companies. For example, T-Mobile has a special program for F-1/F-2 and J-1/J-2 visas to sign a contract with them despite no credit history! I didn't even need a SSN to get the contract -- the phone was one of the first things I did upon arriving. I used an unlocked phone from Canada but my wife got a new phone on a 2 year contract with just her J-2 paperwork and passport.

Or, was it because they did not want to sign a contract with an international student that does not have US credit history etc. If it's the latter, then it's not the same with all companies. For example, T-Mobile has a special program for F-1/F-2 and J-1/J-2 visas to sign a contract with them despite no credit history! I didn't even need a SSN to get the contract -- the phone was one of the first things I did upon arriving. I used an unlocked phone from Canada but my wife got a new phone on a 2 year contract with just her J-2 paperwork and passport.

Oh, it was this option. However, the non-contract option I got is fine since I will be travelling and not using the phone EVERY month. The plan is better and cheaper than most carriers so I am happy :) (Though I may update in six moths or so, if something comes up hehehe).