Harvard Kennedy School 2014

Me too. I got into both MPA/ID and WWS econ track. I'm really torn. Let's see how funding turns out. 

Personally, I am quite academically inclined, so I am attracted to the smaller class size, intimate discussion between students and professors that are (rumoured to be?) key features of the WWS program. I went to a big state school with over 40,000 students for my undergrad, so I really look forward to the kind of academic experience that small classrooms have to offer. 

I don't think that WWS will be smaller class sizes though. Isn't the MPA/ID a small program? I thought MPA/ID was like 40-50 students, whereas WWS MPA is 60+ ?

Sorry, this is a lot of (potentially unnecessary) info, but I'm just wondering about your thought process, and how you are dealing with being really spoiled for choice. 

Could we set up something (preferably private) where we share our research, pro/cons about the two programs? This is my first time posting here so I'm not sure how it all works.

Also, I feel like going to the admit days would help. I can't really afford to fly out though. Are you guys going?

Could you add me to the discussion please? I have been admitted both to WWS MPA and MPA/ID too and won't know what to do!! (depending on HKS giving me funding)

Me too. I got into both MPA/ID and WWS econ track. I'm really torn. Let's see how funding turns out.

I don't think that WWS will be smaller class sizes though. Isn't the MPA/ID a small program? I thought MPA/ID was like 40-50 students, whereas WWS MPA is 60+ ?

Could we set up something (preferably private) where we share our research, pro/cons about the two programs? This is my first time posting here so I'm not sure how it all works.

Also, I feel like going to the admit days would help. I can't really afford to fly out though. Are you guys going?

Congrats on the admits! Well..  that's the general impression that I obtain from past replies in this forum.  My guess is that since there are about 60+ students in WWS MPA, and they are divided into 4 distinct tracks, the Economics and Public Policy track should house an average estimate of around 15 students, compared to MPA/ID of 40 - 50 students at HKS.  But we may need a current student to weigh in on this.. I'm aware that all WWS MPA students take the same core courses, so perhaps only for the elective courses that we get into smaller class and get more personalised attention from the faculty.

I feel like we're hijacking the HKS thread.  Perhaps we should move elsewhere. 

Btw, are you by any chance a Singaporean or Malaysian?  You sound like one.  :-P

I'm in exactly the same boat!  MPAID, and MPA (development track) at Princeton.  I'm also in to Tufts, who have offered me a travel grant to come to the open day... which happens to be day before MPAID open day, so hopefully visiting will give me a bit more clarity.

I initially thought Harvard was far and away my first choice, but I'm suddenly not so sure.  Have you guys seen this post from Chris Blattman? - http://chrisblattman.com/2013/10/04/what-ma-mpa-or-mia-program-is-for-you/

I'm a bit scared of this 'leans to the macroeconomics' thing.  I'm more micro focussed.  BUT the Harvard brand is hard to argue with, particularly as a non-American.  (If I tell people I've been admitted to Tufts they stare at me in polite non-comprehension...).

@jorexer ("I have a focus on certain sectors (agriculture, gender, microfinance), areas (Africa), and methods (impact evaluation, RCTs)") - We sound creepily similar!  I've spent the last 3 years running RCTs in Africa.  You're not by chance from the IPA/JPAL family are you?

Please keep me looped in to any Harvard vs. Princeton discussions!

Could you add me to the discussion please? I have been admitted both to WWS MPA and MPA/ID too and won't know what to do!! (depending on HKS giving me funding)

I'm there with ya'll, would love to hear your varied insights and about the admitted students day and hosting weekend. I've been admitted to HKS MPP and WWS MPA but because I'm currently stationed on another continent it'd be impossible to attend these events.

CityofSand, if you really want to try to attend, you might think about emailing the admissions offices.  They sometimes provide funding to help people attend admitted students days.  I've heard of people being flown in from other countries before. 

I've heard about subsidized flights as well. Though from the research I did it seems the subsidy is usually something around $200-$250 which depending on your location may or may not be useful. Either way, i'd email the admissions office and see what they say.

PS. I'm in for the joint MPP/MBA

Tufts has given me a $400 grant to attend their open day (I'm from UK so this covers about 65% of ticket), which is great.  Their open day is 6th April, so I'll be able to go to the MPA/ID open day on 7th April too.  Two birds with one stone!

I emailed Harvard to ask if they had any funding for helping people attend the open day (to see if I could get the remaining third of my flight paid for...) and they said they don't have any money for that.  Worth asking though!

am I the only one who received the least favorable decision ever "Wait listed"?

I applied to MPA-2 and on the waiting list till May 2014 :-( I requested to remain  though and received a confirmation from the ad com.

does any of you have some insights on the waiting list dilemma ? 

I'm in exactly the same boat!  MPAID, and MPA (development track) at Princeton.  I'm also in to Tufts, who have offered me a travel grant to come to the open day... which happens to be day before MPAID open day, so hopefully visiting will give me a bit more clarity.

I initially thought Harvard was far and away my first choice, but I'm suddenly not so sure.  Have you guys seen this post from Chris Blattman? - http://chrisblattman.com/2013/10/04/what-ma-mpa-or-mia-program-is-for-you/

I'm a bit scared of this 'leans to the macroeconomics' thing.  I'm more micro focussed.  BUT the Harvard brand is hard to argue with, particularly as a non-American.  (If I tell people I've been admitted to Tufts they stare at me in polite non-comprehension...).

@jorexer ("I have a focus on certain sectors (agriculture, gender, microfinance), areas (Africa), and methods (impact evaluation, RCTs)") - We sound creepily similar!  I've spent the last 3 years running RCTs in Africa.  You're not by chance from the IPA/JPAL family are you?

Please keep me looped in to any Harvard vs. Princeton discussions!

Hi Katie. Not in the JPAL crowd (I guess I'm not cool enough), but I work in Uganda running RCTs for BRAC, an int'l NGO, and the World Bank. Also do some IE consulting for the Ugandan gov't. 

For all those facing the same WWS vs. HKS MPA/ID dilemma, please let me know how the admit days go (Gov2School, CityofSand, seiryu, linkth, etc). I probably won't be attending because I'll be in Africa until July. 

Tufts has given me a $400 grant to attend their open day (I'm from UK so this covers about 65% of ticket), which is great.  Their open day is 6th April, so I'll be able to go to the MPA/ID open day on 7th April too.  Two birds with one stone!

I emailed Harvard to ask if they had any funding for helping people attend the open day (to see if I could get the remaining third of my flight paid for...) and they said they don't have any money for that.  Worth asking though!

Hey ! I sent you a private message

Hi guys. It has been really informative and inspiring to go through all the comments here. This is my first posting on the gradcafe and I would like to post my info and seek your advice.

Schools I'm interested in so far:  Harvard Kennedy (MPP), JHU SAIS, Chicago Harris, WWS MPA, Cornell CIPA and Columbia SIPA.

Undergraduate institution: A top 10 University in China 
Undergraduate GPA: 3.8/4.0

Undergraduate Majors: Major in English Literature and Minored in International Relations. Relevant quant courses included intro macro/micro economics, applied statistics, probability and statistics, linear algebra and calculus. (I'm afraid it's quite "basic" compared to the advanced econometric courses people have posted here, and I'm not sure if its enough for a solid quant background, though I scored around 90/100 on these courses which might be As in U.S. letter grades)

GRE Quantitative Score: 170

GRE Verbal Score: 162
GRE AW Score: 5.0

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): 0 (graduating in June 2015 and applying for FALL 2015)

Years of Work Experience:

Interning as background research assistants at a state media and a top HK-based English newspaper on environment and sustainable development topics, 2 months of internship at the National Development and Reform Commission assisting south-south cooperation on sustainable development, currently taking an UN internship in Bangkok on Asia-Pacific regional cooperation to address land-degradation, and just received an internship offer at one of the state financing agencies where I might assist to evaluate loan applications for Chinese overseas businesses abroad in the energy sector. 

Languages: Chinese (Native), Fluent English and Intermediate French (B2 Level under the European language framework)

Activities:

Field volunteer experiences in Nepal on a forest conservation project

Part time experiences at a top Chinese sustainable development think tank, basically translating concept notes, policy memos and other documents on international cooperation

Strength of LOR (be honest, describe the process, etc):  The UN officer whom I worked with and my academic supervisor promised to write LORs for me, they knew me really well.  I haven't decided on the last one. 

I suppose my limited quant background and lack of full-time working experiences might become big problems to land in my target schools. Any recommendations for improvements (since I still have several months before applying) would be appreciated! I sincerely wish everyone getting their best results!

am I the only one who received the least favorable decision ever "Wait listed"?

I applied to MPA-2 and on the waiting list till May 2014 :-( I requested to remain though and received a confirmation from the ad com.

does any of you have some insights on the waiting list dilemma ?

Similar boat here. I'm wait listed for the MPP program. Would appreciate any insights anyone has.

If you haven't already read it, the Harvard Kennedy School Admissions Blog (which is excellent) did a whole series on the different categories, including what it means to be waitlisted.  You might find some useful info there. 

Hi all,

I'm David and I'll be applying to HKS, Columbia, Berkeley, and a few others for M.P.P. for the fall of 2015 (only a junior here).

Can someone tell me if I have a shot? 

School: State University of New York at Buffalo - UB (a flagship of SUNY)

Majors: Economics and International Trade

GPA: 3.30 Economics GPA: 3.30 International Trade GPA: 3.79

Research Experience: 3 years as an Economic Research Assistant in an award-winning lab working under a $3.96 million grant from the USDA to connect farm viability with food access in the United States (currently working on my own paper focusing on food venue choice theory)

Teaching Experience: Undergraduate TA for ECO 407 Macroeconomic Theory

Work Experience: Have interned for Senator Chuck Schumer, Congressman Joe Kennedy III, a State Rep in the Massachusetts State House (where I'm creating my own legislation to create a farmers' market grant program), and doing Marketing for UB's Campus Dining and Services

Extra-Curriculars: President and Founder of the Undergraduate Geography Association, Treasurer of the largest club on campus handling a budget of $13,000, member of Delta Sigma Pi (professional business/economics Fraternity), College Ambassador of the College of Arts and Sciences (Liaison to the Dean), International General Board of United Synagogue Youth, Treasurer of Model European Union, have participated in 2 political simulations (one in Brussels, Belgium for model EU and another in Toronto, Canada for Model UN)

Scholarships and Awards: J. Scott Fleming Scholarship (awarded for leadership on campus), Pillars of Leadership Medal

LOR's: The head of our research lab who's a nationally award winning professor and researcher (particularly in urban and regional planning), State Representative of Massachusetts, and possibly Senator Schumer but that would be weak.

My weak point is obviously my GPA. Will that hurt me tremendously?  

Edited by Buffalofan4255

Guys do you have any idea if wait-listed candidates who receive an admissions offer (get off the wait list) can request a deferment?

Wait listed applicants will not to have a clue about their admissions until Mid or End of May when all financial aid options will be consumed by then for the 2014 year enrollment?

Any thoughts?

Edited by abdelhakimm

Hi KMH,

Sorry for the delayed reply. I haven't figured out how to tell when someone has replied to you on here (help please!). No, I do not think the hurdle is just as high for a previously waitlisted student as a rejected student who is reapplying. I think it is imperative that the waitlisted student reach out to the admissions office and request feedback on their application to see what needs to be changed/improved in order to be more competitive. Secondly, I do not think that schools create courtesy waitlist spots to say, "We like you, but no." What I do believe happens, however, is that most people on the waitlist don't end up getting a spot in the class. I have no idea how the schools choose the order in which to admit people from the waitlist. I would hazard that it is based on which applicants keep in touch the most throughout the process with meaningfully important updates (even for the schools that say they don't want additional information from you).

I hope that your application results turned out better this time around!

Kaneisha

Kaneisha,

Hello!  Was just wondering your thoughts on a student that was wait listed last year, and applying again this year.  Do you think that the application hurdle is just as high for a wait listed student as it is for a denied student during the application process?

Additionally, do you think that HKS has "courtesy" wait list spots, that they give to people to commend their application, but know they will never admit them?

Thank in advance.

Hey guys, I wonder if someone can live in Cambridge (somewhere near HKS, off campus or on campus housing) with $15,000 stipend without incurring any more debt?

Guys do you have any idea if wait-listed candidates who receive an admissions offer (get off the wait list) can request a deferment?

Wait listed applicants will not to have a clue about their admissions until Mid or End of May when all financial aid options will be consumed by then for the 2014 year enrollment?

Any thoughts?

ANY THOUGHTS?