Harvard Kennedy School 2014

actually disappointed at not getting in for MPA2. I had 165/160 (q/v), 2 years investment banking, 2 years non profit, a first class undergrad in Econ, a masters in finance. Pretty good SOP and LORs.

pretty sad as of now.

Not admitted! 

I must say I am feeling better than I thought I would. Still waiting for WWS results, one never knows! 

Waiting for results: Princeton WWS MPP, Columbia SIPA MIA

Accepted: UC Berkeley Goldman MPP (0$), Chicago Harris MPP (full tuition + 19k!)
Waitlisted: TBD
Rejected: HKS MPP

Congratulations to everyone who received good news from HKS. Now the real work begins...

For those of you who didn't get the news you wanted, it's definitely disappointing but know that you are in good company, and this doesn't have to be the end of your journey to going to your dream school.

It sounds like quite a few of you got into other great schools of your choice, which is great.

For those of you really feeling the sting, I wrote a piece a few years ago about dealing with rejection that people have told me they found helpful. Perhaps you'll enjoy it too! http://theartofapplying.com/rejection-and-fried-chicken/

Rejected! I'm not too disappointed though, it would've been nice but I actually think a couple of the others schools I applied to were a better fit for me. I got an acceptance to one of them so I'm set.

Also being Military, a commission is a commission regardless of whether one went to Army or State :)

Congrats to all who made it!

Edited by Jufarius87

I'm into the MC/MPA. Both excited and relieved - this is the first decision I've had.  Congrats to the other admits, and commiserations to those who didn't get in - sending you good wishes for an admit elsewhere.

got in for MPA ID. super excited. congrats to everyone who got in, and for those who got rejected its only the first decision. I'm sure you'll all do great anyway

Admitted into MPA/ID program.  Super excited!  :)

Hi Seiryu,

I also got into WWS and MPA/ID HKS. Both are dream programs, and but I'm leaning more toward HKS, if nothing else because the brand is slightly stronger (at least internationally), and the quant training might be more rigorous. Though if WWS really does give full funding, that could be very hard to turn town. I'm coming from a mindset of really wanting to tech up on econometrics and theory and prepare myself for professional economist and/or policy analyst positions in gov't / World Bank / IGO / think tank. I have a focus on certain sectors (agriculture, gender, microfinance), areas (Africa), and methods (impact evaluation, RCTs), but also want to really broaden this skill / interest set. Sorry, this is a lot of (potentially unnecessary) info, but I'm just wondering about your thought process, and how you are dealing with being really spoiled for choice. 

Hi Seiryu,

I also got into WWS and MPA/ID HKS. Both are dream programs, and but I'm leaning more toward HKS, if nothing else because the brand is slightly stronger (at least internationally), and the quant training might be more rigorous. Though if WWS really does give full funding, that could be very hard to turn town. I'm coming from a mindset of really wanting to tech up on econometrics and theory and prepare myself for professional economist and/or policy analyst positions in gov't / World Bank / IGO / think tank. I have a focus on certain sectors (agriculture, gender, microfinance), areas (Africa), and methods (impact evaluation, RCTs), but also want to really broaden this skill / interest set. Sorry, this is a lot of (potentially unnecessary) info, but I'm just wondering about your thought process, and how you are dealing with being really spoiled for choice. 

Hey Jorexer,  I am inclined to believe that WWS's MPA doesn't lose out to HKS's MPA/ID in terms of quantitative rigour, especially if you are in the Economics and Public Policy Track (though I may be wrong... haven't really looked thoroughly into the syllabus).

Personally, I am quite academically inclined, so I am attracted to the smaller class size, intimate discussion between students and professors that are (rumoured to be?) key features of the WWS program. I went to a big state school with over 40,000 students for my undergrad, so I really look forward to the kind of academic experience that small classrooms have to offer.  I also think that career placement-wise, Princeton wouldn't be too far behind Harvard.  Although again, I may be dead wrong.  The Harvard brand name does seem have a further reach internationally compared to Princeton, and the MPA/ID degree is a strong gateway into international organisations like the World Bank and IMF, which incidentally are the organisations that are among my options.

So... apologies if I sound uncertain.  Like you, I'm also in a dilemma.  I guess the funding decisions later would make our decision making process much easier.  :)

Edited by seiryu